guide weapons

11 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Edited by _____, 07 September 2021 - 10:56 PM.

#2 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

MPL+SL burn duration
LPL+ML burn duration

and to some extent SSRM+LRM, purely from the locking standpoint.

#3 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

I learned a bunch!

Thanks!

I'll be on the lookout for the rest of the series!

#4 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

View Postzudukai, on 19 December 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

MPL+SL burn duration
LPL+ML burn duration

The LPL+ML combo I will cover in the shorter range part of the series. MPL+SL is one that I haven't seen much of before but it makes sense theoretically. I think what makes this more rare is that if it's usually better to sacrifice the extra half ton or so to go to MLs which are better in terms of alpha and range.

#5 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

I didn't watch the video, but one i'd mention for long range is IS AC2/Gauss rifle. They have the same velocity, but 400m range difference, so I use them at the ac2s range, but preferably i'd use them at -1000m.

I use this on the Zeus 9S2 and 6S. the ac2 shakes people while the gauss is cooling down combined with whatever other weapons you have. (1x AC/2, 1x Gauss, 4x ML, 320 STD on the Zeus 6S, my favourite so far). I don't really build meta for the most part, i've always liked DPS instead of endless alphas.

Edited to include the 9S2 build I use: 1x AC/2, 1x Gauss, 2x LPL. the 20% velocity quirks on the 9S2, and the 25% velocity/10% cooldown on the 6S make this really good for fast moving projectiles. At -1000m its quite easy to hit anyone but the fastest lights.

Edited by Violet Vitriol Price, 21 December 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#6 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostViolet Vitriol Price, on 21 December 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

I didn't watch the video, but one i'd mention for long range is IS AC2/Gauss rifle. They have the same velocity, but 400m range difference, so I use them at the ac2s range, but preferably i'd use them at -1000m.

I use this on the Zeus 9S2 and 6S. the ac2 shakes people while the gauss is cooling down combined with whatever other weapons you have. (1x AC/2, 1x Gauss, 4x ML, 320 STD on the Zeus 6S, my favourite so far). I don't really build meta for the most part, i've always liked DPS instead of endless alphas.

Edited to include the 9S2 build I use: 1x AC/2, 1x Gauss, 2x LPL. the 20% velocity quirks on the 9S2, and the 25% velocity/10% cooldown on the 6S make this really good for fast moving projectiles. At -1000m its quite easy to hit anyone but the fastest lights.

i suppose the AC2 would also be ok for target leading for the Gauss, a la "spotting rifle" or "ranging rifle"

but even IRL they were phased out for space and weight, however that does not stop the fact that they do have synergy.

*edit* AC2's are simply not effective weapons, at 1000m your foe can return to cover too quickly for the minimal impact they have on target, even hitting accurately they just deal too little damage. but that's another topic we should avoid.

Edited by zudukai, 21 December 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#7 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

The reason why AC2+Gauss isn't quite part of the long range meta is quite simply that the ERLL right now is the premiere long range weapon of today. In my guide I talk about ERLL+Gauss as a combination, but the Gauss is there mostly just to complement the lasers. With ERLLs, it's light weight and guaranteed to hit - great against targets that are moving fast or are only giving you only a second or so to shoot at it when it peeks. Suppose you're using AC2s alone and I'm using ERLLs alone, I'm guaranteed to out-trade you at the 700m+ range in the long run as long as I maintain cover and keep that distance - easy to do in maps like Boreal, Hellebore Springs and Alpine if you're lucky to get it in a pub drop.

So in short yes they do work together, but as a weapon combination they're not as effective as the alternatives.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 23 December 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#8 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Updated with part 2 yay!

#9 Swansonato

Rookie

• The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:06 AM

Great guide BlackhawkSC, thank you for creating those movies. Will definitely make me think about how to setup my Zeuses and Maulers.

#10 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Updated with part 3 - IS Short Range

View PostSwansonato, on 14 January 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

Great guide BlackhawkSC, thank you for creating those movies. Will definitely make me think about how to setup my Zeuses and Maulers.

Glad it helps!

#11 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:56 AM

Interesting analysis and combos, thanks for making this. I really never thought of the LPL+PPC combo.

Regarding the AC10/SRM4 combo, I'd add the CN9-A as a good platform for it. You can cram an AC10/2SRM4/2ML combo with a STD260 engine or one more SRM4, more armor and more ammo with an XL275 engine. It's pretty vicious up close, as long as you hit from the flanks and let the big guys tank for you. SRM4s have a tight enough spread for you to place most of those ~26 points of missile damage on a single component.

The main problem I see when building ballistics+missile mechs is the fact that you need to carry two types of ammo, on top of heat sinks (especially if you're running SRM6/AC20, which are hot and ammo intensive). In lighter heavies or mediums it gets really cramped really fast, which is why you usually want to stick to ballistics+lasers or missiles+lasers. What I do like about ballistics+missile combos is that, once you get into the ~250m range, you will totally ruin the average laser boat pilot's day.

Edited by aaykeem, 28 March 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#12 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

View Postaaykeem, on 28 March 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

Regarding the AC10/SRM4 combo, I'd add the CN9-A as a good platform for it. You can cram an AC10/2SRM4/2ML combo with a STD260 engine or one more SRM4, more armor and more ammo with an XL275 engine. It's pretty vicious up close, as long as you hit from the flanks and let the big guys tank for you. SRM4s have a tight enough spread for you to place most of those ~26 points of missile damage on a single component.

The main problem I see when building ballistics+missile mechs is the fact that you need to carry two types of ammo, on top of heat sinks (especially if you're running SRM6/AC20, which are hot and ammo intensive). In lighter heavies or mediums it gets really cramped really fast, which is why you usually want to stick to ballistics+lasers or missiles+lasers. What I do like about ballistics+missile combos is that, once you get into the ~250m range, you will totally ruin the average laser boat pilot's day.

I have to try out the AC10 SRM4 Cent-A. Sounds pretty interesting to me. I run triple SRM6 on it but the SRM+AC should be more heat efficient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users