Worth Paying For A Bj?

58 replies to this topic

#21 Stokes52

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm finding I still enjoy my Centurion's dakka a little bit more. My Cent-D is fast and still has a lot of firepower.

So far in the BJ-1 I feel like I'm as slow as a heavy while having much less armor and firepower. I'll hold off judgement till I can put an XL in it though. The BJs have such weird engine ratings... seriously who actually has an XL engine under 250 but over 200 laying around?!

#22 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 21 May 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

As a medium, I'm going to guess no. Mediums are woefully underpowered, and PGI has no apparent intention of fixing this. Get a Jagermech instead.

Want a Cicada? Get a Jenner.
Want a Trebuchet? Get a Catapult.
Hunchback? Cataphract.

There's pretty much nothing a medium can do that a Heavy (or Light) can't do better. Barely slower, and barely larger, more armour, more firepower. And of course, the Cicada is just a ridiculous size for its role. It's so easy to kill that its slightly larger capacity is a waste compared to any light. Though Cicadas are pretty good for joke builds (4ERPPC, 3xAC/2, AC/20, Gauss, etc.)

Lol your funny.

Mediums are fine, the problem may lie in the current sniping metagame. Medium mechs make for better brawlers/long range support than snipers. A few builds i have and love playing with:

HBK-4P: Lazors, lazors everywhere!!
HBK-4SP: Packed out with SRMS
CDA-X5: SRMS and speed - the hit and run!
CDA-3M: ECM and PPC 'The bonepicker'
CN9-AL: Large lasers and SRM

Best score i got on my CN9 was around 800 and 5 kills. Hardly underpowered lol. Usually get close to 600 damage with all of these bar the cicada, but then its role is more to pick at mech, deal with lights and cap/collect resources.

Note that with the exception of the CDA-3M these are all geared for close quarters. Impact the sniping metagame and you will see more mechs like this. Mediums are not underpowered, they are just under-used and not as effective when it comes to sniping..

p.s. I left out the treb as i dont really like it yet, also yet to try the blackjack.

#23 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostFuggles, on 21 May 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

id like to know how quickly their torsos get blown off. the bj-1x with 8mlas (34% HE) and a std 275 will do 99 / 109 with the speed tweak but if its torsos get blown off as easily as jagers, well its going to be just as lackluster as jagers with energy setups.

You can one shot a Blackjack with 4 mls straight into the CT. I've done this many times today, total waste of cbills. your better off with a Cent and that's saying something.

#24 Lord Psycho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

So the Phract 3D and a Jager had a baby..big deal....

I'd buy it with C-bills and murder a bit of people..I hope it can go fast enough for my tastes....

View PostStokes52, on 21 May 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm finding I still enjoy my Centurion's dakka a little bit more. My Cent-D is fast and still has a lot of firepower.

So far in the BJ-1 I feel like I'm as slow as a heavy while having much less armor and firepower. I'll hold off judgement till I can put an XL in it though. The BJs have such weird engine ratings... seriously who actually has an XL engine under 250 but over 200 laying around?!

I'm not sure about the max engine of a BJ..but the commando runs a max engine at 210..not suggesting it should have an XL engine..but ya know....

#25 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostStokes52, on 21 May 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Anyone who bought a Raven-3L and didn't sell off the engine?

#26 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I spectated a dude in a 6 or 7 ML BJ (1x?). He was wrecking people, but he was also chain firing to manage heat. No idea what engine he was running, but his top speed was around 106 kph. He was also a very good pilot. I don't think I could make one of these things work.

#27 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

If you think it's bad, you're bad. See you in game, lol.

#28 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Gahd At All teh forum hate!

I love the damn thing. Frankly I like the way the more recent chassis have come "balanced" right out the gate. Each one having quirks and quibbles. You're not going to have a chassis in the bag the first night you use it. It takes time and effort, same with finding a loadout that works for you. Bear in mind also that there are three types of weapons being mounted on bipedal mechs, so over time hardpoints are going to repeat.
Started my collection off with the BJ-3 and 1X, gonna spring for a BJ-1 after grinding up s'more money. The mech is small, so don't feel shy about slapping the biggest XL in it you can (235 for all but the 1X, it gets a 295, which you should have laying around if you ever built a 3L).

Then go to town. Before HSR everyone in here would've been going on and on about how it's a beast... now you have to treat it like a lot of lights, be careful and support your front line fighters. But its a LoT of fun.

Finally, don't ever let forum opinion dictate what you do. Come here for information, not opinions.

#29 Warbend

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

I love my hearty little BJ!

BJ-1

#30 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

BJ-1X

This is the only build that I can come up with that I would be remotely interested in playing and I fear it would just be a slightly faster but much squishier HBK-4P

#31 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

The blackjack is a fun mech to run - but as others have already mentioned, it doesn't really bring anything "new" to the medium mech lineup. You can gear it up to brawl - but it isn't very good at that. The lack of lower arm actuators limits you too much to do that well. The lack of missile hardpoints also hurts -- it's just not a great "finisher" up close with only lasers and lighter AC's. Where it's obviously best is in a long-mid range direct-fire support role. If that's what you're looking to do with a medium, it's probably a decent choice. For me... I'd rather just stick with CN9's and TBT's. They're a little bigger, a little faster, and a lot more durable (and more versatile as well).

#32 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Don't listen to the medium haters, the Blackjack (and mediums in general) are fun to play. I only have the BJ-1 right now that I've been running like this. It is a little slow, but you can get into some nice firing positions. I will probably drop 2JJ for a slightly larger engine, but this is what I had available right away.

So far the XL hasn't been too much problem. The BJ appears to have a large CT, so I've yet to die to a side torso kill.

#33 Boarneges

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 22 May 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Don't listen to the medium haters, the Blackjack (and mediums in general) are fun to play. I only have the BJ-1 right now that I've been running like this. It is a little slow, but you can get into some nice firing positions. I will probably drop 2JJ for a slightly larger engine, but this is what I had available right away.

So far the XL hasn't been too much problem. The BJ appears to have a large CT, so I've yet to die to a side torso kill.

I've been running a similar build, running on a 235 XL engine. Dropped two JJs, one external HS and one ton of ammo to be able to fit it. It's a fun build to run.

#34 Blue Frog

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWhere You Least Expect...

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I like my BJ-3 a little more than the -1. I haven't modified either at all, but I had fun reaching out and touching the other team. Give them some time and you may be surprised...

#35 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

I didn't see anyone address this directly, but I have found XLs work pretty well. I have yet to die in any of my matches in a BJ to losing a side torso. Been cored every time, which could be its own issue...

I have had some pretty good games (4-5 kills, 500+ Damage) using a Max XL 235 with 2 Ac/5's (3 tons ammo), 2 Medium Lasers and 2 Small Lasers. I've used both the BJ-1 and the BJ-1DC with this set up. In the BJ-1 I drop a ton of ammo for 2 JJ's.

If you run along with the Heavies and Assaults, most people ignore you and you can do some pretty good damage.

#36 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostHobo Dan, on 22 May 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I didn't see anyone address this directly, but I have found XLs work pretty well. I have yet to die in any of my matches in a BJ to losing a side torso. Been cored every time, which could be its own issue...

I have had some pretty good games (4-5 kills, 500+ Damage) using a Max XL 235 with 2 Ac/5's (3 tons ammo), 2 Medium Lasers and 2 Small Lasers. I've used both the BJ-1 and the BJ-1DC with this set up. In the BJ-1 I drop a ton of ammo for 2 JJ's.

If you run along with the Heavies and Assaults, most people ignore you and you can do some pretty good damage.

thanks for the info.
How's the ammo situation? Do you run out a lot?

#37 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostHobo Dan, on 22 May 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Definitely noticed this as well. While I ran standards in the BJ-3 last night, it seemed as though every match where I dropped, it was due to CT damage. The side torsos seem pretty tough to single out. Also, surprisingly, the arms didn't fall off as easily as I'd expected them to - and that's probably why CT damage was adding on from pretty much any angle... That's my theory anyway.

#38 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostSnowcrow, on 22 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

thanks for the info.
How's the ammo situation? Do you run out a lot?

On the BJ-1 with two tons yes, because I choose to take 2 tons so I can have the JJs. It's usually pretty late in the match however.

On the BJ-1DC with three tons, that extra ton of ammo goes a long way and I usually don't run out. If you really want more ammo, you can remove the two Small Lasers to get to 4 tons.

#39 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

This is my BJ-1DC if you’re interested in the dirty details. Armor is always subject to preference.

BJ-1DC

The only difference between this build and the BJ-1 I was talking about is minus a ton of ammo and add two JJs.

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

If you want good ballistics with it, try an XL 170 engine which is only 4 tons, giving you plenty of room to work with. Mine carries twin Gauss. Though I'm in favor of a Hunchback 4P build that I've replicated.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users