Worth Paying For A Bj?

58 replies to this topic

#41 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

4MPL2MG, xl235, 4JJ, AMS on BJ-1, stay tethered to the fat boys, good fun.

Edited by BoPop, 22 May 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#42 CGB Behemoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 418 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

BJ-1X

Really fun mini-hunchey.
Fast speed + good damage + better heat efficiency - armour.
Hit&Run.
Scratch CT of busy mechs.
Hunt lights.
Attack from behind (good speed).
Make 500-800 damage easily (till no one hunts you).

Very FAT Jenner ;)
I love this mech!

#43 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

ERPPC, normal PPC, ams, BAP, std 195, 13 DHS, 4 jj. One of the best counter-poptart mechs in the game, due to the fact that its arm points are so high it doesn't even have to see the enemy to shoot over the cover and hit them - and even if you do you can snap a shot off before you get any sort of return fire. Downsides - bad against lights/brawlers, vulnerable to flanking/getting caught out of cover. A very high skillcapp mech.

#44 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

The current weight of ballistics renders it a AC2 - AC5 poptarty second stringer. To get more out of it, you have to run an XL, which makes you as delicate a snowflake as the Jager in most cases, but with far less firepower. Can it jump? Yes, but it's low end engine max renders it fodder for Jenners. Can't hit hard enough to kill'em fast and can't outrun them. Spent a pile of cash on mine trying to get it to be worth a damn, but it's getting parked by the driveway with a sign in the window as soon as I pull the stereo...

#45 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Too much sky is falling about mediums in this thread. Mediums suck for beginners, PERIOD. You really have to focus your weaponry to being good in a specific situations and RUN AWAY if it is not those situations. You really think a noob is going to use the cent's shield arm? Ya right.

As whether the BJ is good, I bet 8ML is a house, but still the question as to why run this over the Hunchie? The twist on the BJ-1 scares the heck out of me, seemed like a good candidate for jumping AC20 (improvement over the 2X) but no thank you. The arm twist is lol and no horizontal movement on the torso. Compare to the lolCicada, it is even worse than the Cicadas. :S

I'm quite glad to see the variants are better balanced! Don't listen to the QQers do this to every mech and it's variants. Get rid of the Gimps. No one wants a terrible mech! If the guy with the IMBAmech cries then too bad.

Edited by Regrets, 22 May 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#46 Leartes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

As a beginner that started out with 2 hunchies and a jager I have to say, I like my blackjack a lot. I run the BJ-3 with 2ppc, 2ml and ams. It works very well, the position of the weapons is very good compared to a hunchback. It feels like he torso twists much fast and the high weapon position makes shoting over rocks easy. With jump yets you can get to nice positions a hunchie can't get into. I wouldn't want to brawl in this though. He is very squishy and no arms make brawling hard.

So in conclusion I like mine as fire support that is a bit more mobil and sneaky than the jager. Wherease I see hunchies 200m closer to the opponent.

#47 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

#48 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostSephlock, on 22 May 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

I rather buy the cow, and sell you the milk.

Finally happy with my 1DC.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...599043e98cc09b9

I used a similiar one in my TBT-7K, only the TBT has the guns in the side torsi, and is a bit faster with a 300XL Engine.
(Still, the low allowance of Engine in the BC sucks). The BC though has a lower profile, puny looks, and really, people tend to ignore you, if you are with another mech... so, attach yourself to a heavy or assault, and play the Destroyer to another ones Battleship.

Most causes of death were either being cored by a FOTM *yawn* Build, or the "Death from above"-Missilebug, that gets solved soon, i hope.

Edited by John McFianna, 22 May 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#49 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

So with the Blackjack out, and some time to finally sit down and pug out some games... I was finally able to finish fleshing out my builds for the latest mech:

BJ-1 - BJ-1 Guass Loader

This build focuses around a Guass Rifle, arm mounted ML with torso back-ups for extra punch. The Engine size is still moderate for a medium, and with the jumpjets allows a degree of mobility and freedom. It's specialty is support of heavier elements and harassment/flanking of enemy unit's with pinpoint cool-running alpha's.

BJ-1X - BJ-1X Strike Package

The BJ-1X promised speed in return for Jumpjets and more hardpoints... however the all energy hardpoints and the need to utilise the engine size meant no significant energy weapons. I really found it hard to out-fit this thing smart, first as a swayback, it's hitbox and speed profile were shocking. After LL/ML combos and even PPC frights, I ended up with this build. Very cool running, a long-range touch with a speed allowable for long-range relocation and reaction... it's close range punch is picked up by the heat efficiency dumping ML and ERPPC fire into targets happily.

BJ-3 - BJ-3 Suppressor

This final build is a suppressor build, it's designed to be coolish with only the 2 PPC's as the main gun. Using jumpjets to keep targets in cover or to flank and hammer exposed torso's... once again it's all about support and area denial.

Don't be afraid to share builds too... one thing I will say... the Blackjack is best used under-utilised!

EDIT: 'n u t t i n g' is a filtered word huh...

Edited by Apostal, 22 May 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#50 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostApostal, on 22 May 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

So with the Blackjack out, and some time to finally sit down and pug out some games... I was finally able to finish fleshing out my builds for the latest mech:

Some of the best builds I've seen for the Blackjack. Kudos. Personally, I would probably go for more speed for the gauss version. After all, you don't want to stick around to brawl in that mech.

#51 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 May 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Some of the best builds I've seen for the Blackjack. Kudos. Personally, I would probably go for more speed for the gauss version. After all, you don't want to stick around to brawl in that mech.

On the contrary, you're there to hammer a pinpoint strike... attempting to flush the the enemy or harass the ones trying to get clear of your heavier comrade's. It does great in putting down opened opponents or scaring them into movement (or bait), the problem I had is there isn't much more room for an engine without sacrificing too much in one department. At present it's got the stock 30 ammo I carry for any guass, the JJ and 4ML back up weapons with ample speed to support flanks, and armour to survive (to some degree... 1 shot by a 6 ERPPC boat didn't leave me impressed).

#52 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

BJ 1X 6xML 280XL full armor fast and deadly... i like to drive my med mechs, dont know why u think they underpowered.. anyway its all about knowing what u are able to do and when u will die for sure. Iam able to move 100+ kp/h with my 6meds doing 30 alphas to unaware weak spots riping their legs/arms/torsos an d then back to cover just repeat and play smart.

and there will be mine BJ-1 when i buy it:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4908eea1ffeb0f

Edited by Scarface1978, 23 May 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#53 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostApostal, on 23 May 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

On the contrary, you're there to hammer a pinpoint strike... attempting to flush the the enemy or harass the ones trying to get clear of your heavier comrade's. It does great in putting down opened opponents or scaring them into movement (or bait), the problem I had is there isn't much more room for an engine without sacrificing too much in one department. At present it's got the stock 30 ammo I carry for any guass, the JJ and 4ML back up weapons with ample speed to support flanks, and armour to survive (to some degree... 1 shot by a 6 ERPPC boat didn't leave me impressed).

Well, I don't feel the downgrade of 1 medium laser to 1 small laser was a big sacrifice for an extra 8 kph. I play a lot with my YLW with 1 gauss and 2 medium lasers, and it's ample firepower, if you have the speed to get in and out of danger. But while my YLW has a STD260 engine, this mech has an XL engine, which means I can't take as much punishment, so I feel the need for even more speed. Especially to take out wounded targets, because that often requires that you're able to swoop in at just the right moment, and get out again before their teammates can counter.

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

The deadliest BJ you will never see in the field.

Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 23 May 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#55 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

That is 6 PPCs.

*runs off to try it and have a laugh*

oh yea, so anyways, for the BJ that have JJ, just play them like big fat slow spiders that pack a lil more punch.

#56 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

How many days before "6 PPC Blackjacks are ruining the game!"

#57 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Simple:
BJ-1

Quick:
BJ-1X

Painless:
BJ-3

I can't figure out anything worthwhile on the 1DC (didn't buy, wasn't interested). All of the obviously good BJs have their roles, and the engine cap doesn't really feel like an actual problem. If you treat the non-BJ-1X builds like they are classic jumpers AND if you treat the BJ-1X like most lights... you can be very successful.

The BJ-1X has a STD engine (running the fastest XL is an option, but it's more than doable with the 275 STD on it).

Edited by Deathlike, 23 May 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#58 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

IMO, the BJ turned out fine. I havent bought any, saving for my third hunchie right now. But, the ones in the field- They take more of a beating then people think, do ok dmg, and the people that do well have figured out "hey its a 45 ton mech" and put a bigger engine on it so it can move like a 45 ton mech. Just because it resembles a jager doesnt mean it should share a loadout with one.

Also, i think a lot of people bought it, ran out to play it, and QQ'd about it being soft without actually looking at stock armor numbers. I know PGI is trying to stay sort of with some classic battletech numbers and such, but I fear the new players trying out a stock trial BJ mech later on with 30 points of front torso armor.

#59 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

TLDR: a nice dinner and few drinks....

Oh, snap! this isn'that kind of thread...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users