330 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Check out the Command Chair post from Paul on Hit Boxes here.

Spoiler

Please leave your comments on this topic in this thread so that we may better consolidate your collective concerns.

#2 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

So that means not the patch at the start of november, but toward middle/end of November?

Sounds promising, of course, the devil is in the detail.

#3 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Yes.. mid Nov.

#4 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

Dammm its about time I wont know what to do if Paul and PGI make my mechs take some damage!!! YAY no more paper doll mechs that die in 2-6 hits.

Posted Image

#5 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Notice to all Spider pilots: Get your mechs mastered in the next 3 weeks! B)

#6 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

This is pretty goor news. Im looking forward (and at my Awesome) to these changes.

#7 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image

No seriously....glad you guys have "some" (vewy vewy miniscule amounts of.... :rolleyes:) time now to look at it. :D

Any improvements will certainly be welcome, except of course by those used to the imbalances. Oh how the merry-go-round never stops... B)

View PostPaul Inouye, on 30 October 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Yes.. mid Nov.

Okay, Paul. You did it to yourself here. And you know what's gonna happen if it doesn't happen. Now make it happen. :lol:

Cheers,
CYBR

Edited by CYBRN4CR, 30 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Posted Image

Not to imply anything related to CT/Leg hitbox splitting... that's a different topic than mere hitbox cleanup... :D

Edited by Prosperity Park, 30 October 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#9 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostHeffay, on 30 October 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Notice to all Spider pilots: Get your mechs mastered in the next 3 weeks! :D

Had my 5k and 5d mastered eons before this crazy hit detection thing, and who knows I might just go back to playing them once this "easy mode" phase is over, if I ever get anywhere with my locust grinding...

also @ PGI I am all for that Awesome hitbox tweak suggestion that has been going around that would make the arms better shields, could make me look into rebuying my mastered 8T aws to join my 9m in the mechbay.

#10 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hooray! I'm sure you have seen the thread here; http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Please take into account at least the spirit of the suggested changes! They almost all look very promising.

#11 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostMonky, on 30 October 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Hooray! I'm sure you have seen the thread here; http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Please take into account at least the spirit of the suggested changes! They almost all look very promising.

I had a quick look at that thread and I agree with some obvious things like the pelvis regions and the AWS sugguestion but NO to the dragon.

I DO NOT want that kind of hitbox for my dragon, this would kill any kind of dragon build that is successful running a xl engine sure they are fast to avoid damage and there is more armor in that fat nose of a CT but turning it in to a stalker style hitbox would mean the less armored ST will be more of a damage magnet.

Sure I understand the need for hitbox fixes on certain mechs, but that doesn't mean that every single thing has to be changed when things have been fine.

#12 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

I hope its this video you've been watching closely, the response/ping from the servers are one thing people get used to their own lead distance over time, but mechs with inconsistent hitboxes, hit detection problems are the real source of bane.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

All I can say is, start with the Awesome...

Then we will know you're serious.

#14 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

All assaults need a rework. Atlas Waist, Awesome CT etc.

#15 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

One thing I would investigate is the amount of "debris" left over when a component is destroyed. In MWO when you hit the debris of a destroyed component only 50% of damage transfers. So if you hit a dead leg, 50% of damage transfers to corresponding side torso.

Sounds good in theory, but in practice you have wildly varying amounts of component debris left over making it either easier or harder to hit a component next to it. The best example would be the centurion's arm debris. It leaves behind these big hulking arm joints that soak up damage and reduce it down to 50%. This is the big reason why centurions are so hard to kill. On the flip side, if you look at the arms of an Awesome they almost completely detach leaving behind almost nothing but clear side torso.

The Atlas is another mech with an egregious amount of arm debris left over, but he rarely loses arms, he's slow, and his hitboxes are so big it's easier to aim.
I would carefully investigate how much debris is left over on each mech when each component is knocked out because it has a huge impact on how durable the mech is.

Another thing I would investigate are the hitboxes of mechs while they are jump jetting. This is purely hypothetical, but I feel like they are harder to hit than they should be. By all accounts a mech that's slowly gliding up should be easy pickings, but I'm just not seeing much damage being applied. Could be mistaken, but I'd like someone to take a look.

#16 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Cool. I haven't used any Mechs that I thought have that any Hit-box issues. But, it's a welcome change as far as the masses are concerned.

#17 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 30 October 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Yes.. mid Nov.

how can we believe you? you are the self proclaimed minister of misinformation!!!

#18 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Spiders are already much easier to hit and to kill by now. So yes, please investigate if they do not die too easy atm plz. Especially the Side Torsos eat much Damage at the Moment.

Jenner Front and Back Center Armor needs Investigation. Locust Legs. Awesome Center Torso. Jagermech Side Torso. Catapult Cockpit and Center Torso. And so on.

Edited by Joe Decker, 30 October 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#19 Dustmuffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

#20 Symbiodinium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

As has been elegantly stated by Carrioncrows in his thread, most of the hitboxes could use some work. Beyond fixing the ones that are obviously problematic, though, a general shift of hitboxes to shrink the CT, even slightly, would generally be good for the game. Good game design involves having meaningful decisions for players, and smaller CTs would have several side effects:

1) Reducing the draw/strength of high-alpha play as it's more difficult to rapidly punch through the CT, especially in larger mechs.
2 ) A smaller CT means larger side torsos, making XL engines less attractive, so more mechs would run standard engines, creating more interesting choices and variety in mech design.
3) More standard engines means less weight for weapons, and therefore lower alphas.
4) More standard engines would mean larger mechs would tend to be slower, enhancing the difference in speed between size classes, especially heavies vs. mediums, promoting more diverse mech classes.
5) More interesting fights with more decisions and diverse tactics. Instead of simply aiming for the CT and ignoring the rest of the mech it may be a better tactic to de-arm/torso the enemy first. You see this now with Atlases: they very rarely run XLs but have relatively large side torsos already, which are often targeted to defang the mech before finishing it.

(And forgive me if CC or others have covered this!)

Edited by Symbiodinium, 30 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users