#1 RGM 79

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eae8a880abd2596

Have had pretty good success with it so far.

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Well, unless you have BAP your Streaks won't do much half of the time. And putting a LB-10X on an -A is a bit of a shame when the -D already comes with one (and a 300XL engine, and it easily takes two Streaks instead of the LRM-10).

Basically what you have there is a slower -D with one more Streak.

Edited by stjobe, 27 May 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

What are your thoughts on the use of TAG there? To spot for teammates? Does it help you with your Streaks?

#4 ReissTC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

What's the role? Weapons loadout suggests light-hunter. Speed suggests it's more along the lines of point-defense vs light mechs.

I dont' like the use of the LBX-10 over the UAC/5 or regular AC/10, but can understand why you've chosen the LBX-10 if the above roles are true. I wouldn't pit it against heavier mechs (or equivalent tonnage mechs, to be honest).

I don't know why TAG is there. Wouldn't a BAP be more useful?

How much armour is it carrying?

#5 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

If you wanna be different, run this : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0e8150f3bd62a59

Edit: its so normal that most ppl with some knowledge of TT and Battletech will shed a tear in your honour when they see it.

Edited by 0okami, 27 May 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#6 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Post0okami, on 27 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

If you wanna be different, run this : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0e8150f3bd62a59

Edit: its so normal that most ppl with some knowledge of TT and Battletech will shed a tear in your honour when they see it.

I had great success with a build almost like that; only difference was I had a 200STD engine, a ton less LRM ammo, and the two additional DHS you'd need with a 200-rated engine.

#7 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

How have you done in it? I find the best way to figure out what to do is take it for a few runs and see where you have issues. Back when SL Jenners were popular I found I didn't have enough punch over time, so I tried 6 ML's. Suddenly, a classic is born :)

#8 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

View Poststjobe, on 27 May 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

I had great success with a build almost like that; only difference was I had a 200STD engine, a ton less LRM ammo, and the two additional DHS you'd need with a 200-rated engine.

To be honest I never liked the standard engines so much... too slow... and the Cent has awesome hitboxes :b

Edited by 0okami, 27 May 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#9 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Since it's carrying the horrible LBX you're bound to be able to improve that build.

#10 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

My CN9-AL could be modified for an ac to replace the large lasers: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c86f5dfc0b5178, and my CN9-A which i modeled after the trebuchets http://mwo.smurfy-ne...16455f14990098e . Both are extremely fun and very effective once you get used to medium mechs(I'm a heavy and assault kinda guy)

#11 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Post0okami, on 27 May 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

To be honest I never liked the standard engines so much... too slow... and the Cent has awesome hitboxes :b

It is, and it does :)

But it's a classic: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eb6b615b181e630

#12 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

this is pretty much the same as http://mwomercs.com/...-fcn9-a-build/. regarding the original build, you should really upgrade to a faster XL, drop the Tag for BAP and add in a 2nd Mlas, the LBX vs AC10 is a different argument, i'm not a fan of the LBX, is fun to shoot, but the damage is really meh.

#13 RGM 79

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

I've actually dropped the TAG, put in a 2nd ML and replaced the streaks with 2 SRM4s and 1 SRM2 with an extra ton of ammo in replacement of a ton of LBX10 ammo.

The LBX isn't a great weapon anywhere past 100M but it is a great spread DMG wep and after sticking the 2nd ML back on, pinpointing critical areas isn't a problem.

Some reason, I've always kept with STD engines due to its increase in survivablity after finding out a CN9 is basically a zombie mech.

The streaks + tag did help in ECM/Light situations.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Edited by md80tom, 27 May 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#14 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

OP, as posted earlier, the CN9-D is better suited for a loadout like you have. My D runs the LBX, 2 ML, 2 SSRM, and an XL big enough to hit 107kph after tweak. It works, it's fun.

i actually used my A for a long/mid range fire support style. I put an AC2 on it, a LRM15+artemis and 2 ML, and I forget which std. engine(not super fast but not pokey). Used endo and dbl HS. Doesnt brawl so great, but it's fast enough to stay out of trouble. If you hang around by your team, you can make good advantage of the long range of the AC, and use the LRM as support fire when your brawlers get engaged. Just hang back a bit and help them out. Not a kill machine, but I average 300-400 dmg and a ton of assists, pretty good W/L in it, makes good cash.
overall, I like the YLW and my speedy D best. The AL plays quite differently(like a slightly less armored dragon actually) and I had the hardest time finding a niche for my A without just rehashing something from another variant, but Ilike where it ended up.

#15 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Postmd80tom, on 27 May 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Some reason, I've always kept with STD engines due to its increase in survivablity after finding out a CN9 is basically a zombie mech.

I'm the same way with my Centurions. I don't make dedicated zombie builds, but I've found that so many people write you off once that arm goes, that it's fairly easy to still be effective, especially late in the game when remaining enemy mechs are generally hurt. The medium lasers and streaks that I tend to carry aren't big guns, but they are enough to finish the job on a mech that's been fighting.

I've also been amazed by how little of my Centurions will still be around when I finally do die. My Ravens and Catapults (all with XL engines) will still be fairly intact - once that torso goes they are done. But I've had Centurions where my post-mortem paper doll doesn't even look like a mech any more - it'll just be a couple limbs and that's it.

#16 thepartisan

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostLukoi, on 27 May 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

What are your thoughts on the use of TAG there? To spot for teammates? Does it help you with your Streaks?

From what I remember about Tag is that it nullifies ECM ( Doesn't disable it mind you) when you have the target painted. Which means you can lock the SSRMs' even if the other mech has his little umbrella on.

Edited for extra info

Edited by thepartisan, 03 June 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#17 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

I was very successful with a CN9-A carrying much the same loadout as the one in the original post, except a 2nd medium laser instead of the TAG. It also has a 255XL engine, and one additional DHS.
(I also tried the same with a standard AC10, but it sucked on caustic because I had to drop the 11th DHS.)

I do use TAG on my CN9-AL though, and yes it does work to guide your own streaks when ECM is present, as long as you stay outside of the 180m circle around the ECM carrying Mech. (Your target can be inside that circle.)
Why on the CN9-AL but not on the CN9-A? Simple answer: because the CN9-AL also can carry a PPC. :D
So, the CN9-AL I use is great for hunting light Mechs with ECM, and the CN9-A I use is great for hunting light Mechs without ECM.

#18 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Here's why I don't like XL engines on the Centurion:

Posted Image

Finished the round with two kills and three assists, and that final kill happened when I was nothing but medium lasers. An XL equipped mech would have been dead by then.

#19 DocGiggles

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I feel streaks are a waste on such an agile mech. It's not that hard to hit lights with SRMs, especially with Artemis. Especially on the AL, where you can load lasers in the arm, which is a huge advantage when fighting lights. Plus, streaks sacrifice a lot of alpha damage. That's damage that isn't going into the back armor of that Atlas you flanked.

#20 Polk738

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

XL engines are fine in Centurions as long as you know how to protect yourself and play the role. Use your speed to flank, torso twist, don't take on assaults head on, stick with your team. Basic stuff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users