24 replies to this topic

#1 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

I really love this mech, but there is one thing that drives me nuts. It's cost me two team kills already.

Tell me how I am suppose to brawl like this, when I might as well hang a piece of paper of half my monitor?
Posted Image

Heat Vision will make it better you say? Not really...
Posted Image
(ok, you probably were not really saying that, but just in case you were).

I doubt there is a fix, so I guess I will just have to live with the fact that firing those 3x MGs will be as annoying for me as the mech I am shooting.

Edited by Bhelogan, 17 October 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#2 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, that could stand to be toned down.

#3 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Ahh not sure why you're getting that normally. If you mean the muzzle flash I haven't been bothered at all and my most used Shadowhawk build is 2 x AC2 so its constantly firing. Possibly want to check for upgraded drivers - what graphics cards are you using?

#4 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostRemarius, on 17 October 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Ahh not sure why you're getting that normally. If you mean the muzzle flash I haven't been bothered at all and my most used Shadowhawk build is 2 x AC2 so its constantly firing. Possibly want to check for upgraded drivers - what graphics cards are you using?

Radion HD 7850, Catalist version 13.9, all graphics settings on high

#5 Lokesh

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

You might want to try turning down some of your settings (bloom or lighting effects if possible). Do you get this with ACs as well, or just the MGs in the pic? I've run dual UAC5s without noticing anything.

#6 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Nah, it's not just him. I've got a 7970 and am getting the same wall o flame from my tri-mg Shadowhawk. But I'm used to it by now and find it funnier than hell.

#7 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

This is the first mech I have run into this issue on actually. The MG's are annoying simply because the fire is non stop. Granted, I can zoom in, which moves the blasts out of view a bit, but I would get motion sickness trying to brawl in 3X zoom running at 103.7Kph

#8 Poppaukko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 236 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

I don't have this problem with my 2xAC2 Shadow Hawk. GPU is Asus GTX 560 Ti 448 core.

#9 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

On the other hand i love to see the gunbarrel recoil.

#10 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

The muzzle flash seems to only occur when using MG's in the torso and not AC's.

#11 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

that´s MG´s? wow...i run a 3 MG setup and don´t have such visibility issues...probably because i don´t run on max settings, most are on medium except for textures

might be an "effects" or lighting issue, as stated above

Edited by Alex Warden, 17 October 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#12 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Played with graphics settings, but no change. Wonder if there is something the devs can do maybe to address this?

#13 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

I tend to go with the ACs in that left shoulder so I do not have this problem. The longer barrel(s) puts the muzzle flash further away from my cockpit, so that makes it a little easier to avoid it. Granted, I still get some of my view negated, but hey... whatever. That I can just peak over something and unload AC rounds into someone with a very small target to return fire at. It makes suppressive fire in the Thunder Dome of Terra Therma very capable.

#14 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Perhaps you should stop running troll MG builds?

#15 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

How about being a Phoenix Locust?

Posted Image

And thermals?
Posted Image

A permanent "Tape up all edges of your screen" when you play the mech. Personally, I don't mind or is even bothered with the weapon plums from the Shadowhawk's ballistic hard point. Though, I don't use MGs there, but an UAC5/AC10. And, you are only blinded when you are shooting, instead of all the time.

I actually like the hard point there, makes for a great hunch to shoot over allies or terrain that might otherwise get in the way. Really helpful. So, I guess it can be a problem, but I personally find it more of a help than a hindrance. Think of it as, it could always be worse.

#16 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

I don't have a shadowhawk, but just fighting them, the size gets to me. Yes, it's big and easy to hit, but it's actually taller than my awesomes by a fair bit, and I generally have the reaction of "OH **** ASSAULT OVER HERE GOD IT'S FAST oh wait it's a shadowhawk."

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostBhelogan, on 17 October 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

I really love this mech, but there is one thing that drives me nuts. It's cost me two team kills already.

Tell me how I am suppose to brawl like this, when I might as well hang a piece of paper of half my monitor?
Posted Image

Heat Vision will make it better you say? Not really...
Posted Image
(ok, you probably were not really saying that, but just in case you were).

I doubt there is a fix, so I guess I will just have to live with the fact that firing those 3x MGs will be as annoying for me as the mech I am shooting.

Just for comparison, this is an Abrams with a 120mm cannon (an AC/2 in MWO's form is 150mm).

MGs in lore are anything between 5 and 20mm. This is 12.7mm, a common size in the books.

But at the same time, this is 20mm.

So either way, the flash for the MGs could certainly use a reduction and more puffs of smoke. But damn the autocannons could really use more smoke. Lots more.

#18 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostTesunie, on 25 October 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

How about being a Phoenix Locust?

A permanent "Tape up all edges of your screen" when you play the mech.

That cockpit is a total tear down. I get that it's a small cramped cockpit but a smaller viewport like that shouldn't need that many supports.

Posted Image

What's messed up is that if you "look" around the cockpit you'll see that a pilot would really have a nice view, it's just those supports happen to line up with the edges of our monitors.

Edited by Sug, 25 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#19 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

You can try creating a .cfg file in your mwo folder, and try adding these commands.

I'm not sure what all works anymore, it's from an old config file, but it brightens up some dark maps, and reduces some crazy bloom you have in your screenshots...

r_EyeAdaptationBase = 0.1
r_EyeAdaptationFactor = 0.85
r_EyeAdaptationSpeed = 4
r_GlowAnamorphicFlares = 10 (reduce this value?)
r_HDRBloomMul = 1 (set this to 0?)
r_HDRBlueShift = 1
r_HDRBrightLevel = 0.75
r_HDRBrightOffset = 20
r_HDRBrightThreshold = 6
r_HDREyeAdaptionCache = 2
r_HDRGrainAmount = 0
r_HDRLevel = 3
r_HDROffset = 10
r_HDRRendering = 1

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 25 October 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#20 MaxStr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 149 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 October 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Just for comparison, this is an Abrams with a 120mm cannon (an AC/2 in MWO's form is 150mm).

MGs in lore are anything between 5 and 20mm. This is 12.7mm, a common size in the books.

So either way, the flash for the MGs could certainly use a reduction and more puffs of smoke. But damn the autocannons could really use more smoke. Lots more.

Here are a couple of machine guns for weight/size considerations.

The Phalanx CIWS sports a 20mm gatling gun that is quite impressive. Altogether weighs about as much as a Gauss.

No discussions about irl machine guns can be complete without mention of the 30mm GAU-8. Its what the rest of the A-10 was built around.

Weighs about 20% more than MWO MG, though I think it might be a little bigger...

Posted Image

Edited by MaxKarnage, 27 October 2013 - 02:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users