226 replies to this topic

#201 Waking One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostJackpoint, on 12 June 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Looking on Sarna i'm not overly impressed with this mech nor pgi's choice in varients.

"It has one major flaw though: its light armor protection. With armor on par with most mid-grade medium 'Mechs, the Quickdraw is barely capable of standing up to heavier 'Mechs."

Guess I won't be the only one disappointed to not see the Orion.

Since when did stock armour numbers matter?

#202 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostWaking One, on 12 June 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Since when did stock armour numbers matter?

If you applied that kind of logic to every post on the forums a majority of what is on here would be unsaid.

#203 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostOthello, on 04 June 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

The upcoming BattleMech for this month is the Quickdraw. What a surprise or shock! A heavy mech (60 tons) with same speed ranges as the Dragon mech, and can jump.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Spoiler

Description

The Quickdraw was originally built in 2779 as a competitor to the Rifleman BattleMech. In this respect, the model was unsuccessful. However, because of its excellent mobility, with a ground speed of 86.4 km/h and its jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters, as well as its mostly short range weapons assortment, the Quickdraw is a powerful close combat 'Mech. It has one major flaw though: its light armor protection. With armor on par with most mid-grade medium 'Mechs, the Quickdraw is barely capable of standing up to heavier 'Mechs.

Armament

The only long-range weapon carried onboard the Quickdraw is a Delta Dart LRM-10 launcher, giving the 'Mech some long range damage capabilities. For close range combat, the Quickdrawcarries four Omicron 4000 Medium Lasers, two of which are rear-mounted and the other two (in the arms) giving it respectable close range firepower. Additionally, to capitalize on any weak points in an enemy's armor, the Quickdraw carries a Hovertec Quad SRM-4 launcher.

Variants
  • QKD-4G - 60 tons, 300 STD engine, with Jump Jets, 1 x LRM-10, 1 x SRM-4, 4 x Medium Lasers
  • QKD-4H - In an attempt to bring more direct firepower to the 'Mech, the 4H moves the SRM-4 launcher into the rear arc and moves the two rear-facing Medium Lasers into forward firing mounts. Otherwise, the 4H is identical to the 4G model.
  • QKD-5A - The 5A makes the Quickdraw a more effective close combat 'Mech. The LRM-10 launcher has been removed and in its place two more forward-firing Medium Lasers have been added, as well as extra heat sinks to help compensate for the increased heat load.
  • QKD-5K - The 5K Quickdraw is upgraded using Star League technology. The 'Mech carries the same weaponry as the 5A model. The heat sinks have been upgraded to double heat sinksand the armor carried is Ferro-Fibrous armor, giving the 5K superior armor protection to the 5A model, with no added weight.

You beat me to it.

Since we have no rear-firing weapons, the 4H and 4G are truly identical at the surface. One will probably allow an extra slot or so of goodies. I noticed something interesting.

We have the SRM-4 in the left torso. The LRM 10 seems to be divided amongst two launchers, 6 tubes in the shoulder and 4 tubes in the CT. o.O;

The 5K still has the 4 missile slots in the CT...

Something's odd there.

#204 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

There looks to be a LT energy hardpoint in addition to a SRM-based CT missile launcher (of 4).

#205 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 June 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

There looks to be a LT energy hardpoint

I think thats missile targeting kibble.

#206 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 12 June 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think thats missile targeting kibble.

I looked it over wrong.

5K - 6 energy (2 per side torso, 1 per arm), 1 missile (CT holds the SRM4, and perhaps a NARC tube)
4G/4H - 4 energy (2 on the right torso, 1 per arm), 3 missile (looks to be like 1 or 2 on the left torso - which holds the LRM10, CT holds the SRM4 with a NARC tube?)

#207 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

LRM 10 os on the LT, 4 box on top of 6 box.

#208 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostKoniving, on 12 June 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

You beat me to it.

Since we have no rear-firing weapons, the 4H and 4G are truly identical at the surface. One will probably allow an extra slot or so of goodies. I noticed something interesting.

We have the SRM-4 in the left torso. The LRM 10 seems to be divided amongst two launchers, 6 tubes in the shoulder and 4 tubes in the CT. o.O;

The 5K still has the 4 missile slots in the CT...

Something's odd there.

No, the SRM is the center torso. The LRM-10 is the left torso, but it is conveniently divided into a box of 4 and another box of 6 tubes. That makes me think there is the possibility of seeing a variant that has 2 missile slots in the left torso, although that variant must have only 1 module slot.

#209 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 12 June 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

No, the SRM is the center torso. The LRM-10 is the left torso, but it is conveniently divided into a box of 4 and another box of 6 tubes. That makes me think there is the possibility of seeing a variant that has 2 missile slots in the left torso, although that variant must have only 1 module slot.

That would make more sense.

I'm seriously wondering what they will do to differentiate the 4G and the 4H considering both are identical now that all the weapons face forward. The 4G is supposed to have its torso lasers face backwards to fire at targets behind it. At least one variant is supposed to have hyper-extended actuators which allow for rear-facing shots even from the arms (hence the name Quickdraw). So... since we can't do that, what can we do?

#210 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

This 4G & 4H variant has been driving me annoyed. Really doesn't make any sense. What were PGI thinking?

#211 dak irakoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

My only complaint with the in game version in comparison with the concept art is that the centre section (CT and head) seems to have been widened.

#212 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostNacon, on 12 June 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

This 4G & 4H variant has been driving me annoyed. Really doesn't make any sense. What were PGI thinking?

There are two or three reasons for this.

1. The guys at PGI actually care about and follow the canon of the game setting. They won't put in a mech that doesn't belong no mater how much they like it.

2. The hardpoints of the 4G and 4H are not known yet, or other factors like max torso twist angles. Most likely they will have different hardpoints that allow for the same basic load out, but I don't know of any mechs that ever runs default load outs. The variants we build are more important.

After all, you can have a Hunchback that is armed only with 2 ER-PPC's in the arms, as many heat sinks as possible, a giant standard engine, and no other weapons at all. The AC-20 is that mech's trademark, but that build doesn't even have a machinegun.

A 4H vs a 4G is probably the same default loadout, but they won't be identical under the hood.

3. There may be something in Community Warfare that makes one variant more common to one faction, and they may have repair and re-arm costs that are not part of simple Public Matches we've been playing up till now. You may reconsider a mech because it is rare in your faction and therefore costs you an extra 30% to repair it after every CW match.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 12 June 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#213 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostNacon, on 12 June 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

They're thinking that of the 5 possible variants, there's only 2 real loadouts.
3 of them have the same default hardpoints as H and G, and 2 have hardpoints like the K.
The K can't get extra hardpoints to differentiate, since it's already got 7.
The third that has same hardpoints as G and H has a one-shot launcher stock, which isn't in the game.
Thus we'll get G and H, but with one probably having another missile, and the other probably having a 5th energy.

#214 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

take a close look at the CT... perhaps a energy hard point? compared to the x-5's launch photo and its "headlights", I think at least one (hopefully all! ) of the QD's will have a CT srm4 and a ML! it will make a phenomenal zombie.

only Tuesday will tell.

#215 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm actually kind of excited for this (seems like a few people are just QQing about how their precious Orion got pushed back) as I enjoy my Dragon 1C quite a bit. I can definitely see how this might obsolete the Dragon a bit, since it is a pain to actually use up the ballistic slots and the missile hard points are all in the CT while the Quickdraw has them spread out a bit more. I think this could actually be quite a threat once SRM's have their damaged buffed back up again, although it will probably always suffer from being the lightest of its class like the Dragon and the Awesome do..

#216 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostOp4blushift, on 12 June 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

I can definitely see how this might obsolete the Dragon a bit
Just a bit?

#217 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostSephlock, on 12 June 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Just a bit?

Depends.. Quickdraw has zero Ballistics.

#218 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 13 June 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Depends.. Quickdraw has zero Ballistics.

Who needs real ballistics when one can mount faux-ballistic PPCs/ERPPCs?

#219 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

I hope it will have more than 6 hardpoints on all variants, because I don't really see it being that good compared to the other heavies. Given that two of the variants would be functionally identical stock, I think ( and hope ) we'll see one or two additional hardpoints on it to set them apart.

#220 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

I hope PGI took the mobility aspect of the QD to heart, supposed to be a fast striker(80+kph) stock, has jump capabilities of a light mech (150 mts a jump). an excellent brawler so, its torso and arm swing should be much better than most mechs.

Edited by SgtMagor, 13 June 2013 - 05:24 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users