23 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

The C4 is arguably the red-headed stepchild* of the Catapults. But now that LRMs are increasingly viable, it may be time to dust it off again.

Is there anyone out there with a good C4 build?

* No offense to red-headed stepchildren out there

#2 Muz0079

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've been doing pretty well with this build for a while. Nothing fancy but gets the job done and gives you both long and short range options.

XL 300
2xA-LRM 20
2xSSRM 2
10DHS
TAG
BAP
AMS
Endo
352 pts standard armour
(Can swap out AMS and/or ammo for JJ if needed)

It packs a decent long range punch to make enemies think twice before breaking cover but also gives you some medium and short range options, especially if you get into the 180-300m sweet spot. BAP and TAG let you cut through ecm at short and long range. I also pack a uav in case I get multiple ecms on me.

#3 Judas Augustine

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

I use a very similar build to the one above (in my humble opinion, it the best you can do with the C4)

But it can also function like an A1 with more survivability. Those two energy hardpoints can be put to good use if you're running an SRM or SSRM brawling build.

But really, the above build is the best, I believe.

#4 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I wanted to buy one as my third Catapult but went for the C1 eventually. The build i was looking at was something like this (same direction as Judas was thinking)

std290
4xartemis SRM6
2 MedLsr
11DHS
2JJ

#5 Doc Sunshine

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSouth Hadley, MA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm still "training mine up", but I've been a pair of medium pulse lasers and a mix of LRMs and SRM6s (still tweaking the ratio). The SRM/pulse combo gives it some nice bite when things get up close and personal.

#6 Blackadder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostDoc Sunshine, on 08 June 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

I'm still "training mine up", but I've been a pair of medium pulse lasers and a mix of LRMs and SRM6s (still tweaking the ratio). The SRM/pulse combo gives it some nice bite when things get up close and personal.

i would just dump the SRM, and go with streak/pulse combo. SRM are kind of average at the moment.

#7 Oogalook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

I'm running the following inexpensive build right now. Even if it's not the best, its fun- you can put out firepower at any range. This is similar to some of the above builds:
2xSRM6
2xLRM15
TAG
XL300

The XL would normally be really expensive, but I popped mine out of my Sarah's Jenner which I never use anyway. No costly upgrades are required for the build, and it's fun in any situation if you're careful!

#8 DD The Shmey

Rookie

• Go-cho
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

Here is my spec on my C4, ... it has 3 ALRM-15
CPLT-C4

I have had a lot of success with this consistently doing between 300 and 450 damage each game. I used to run some case with it, but I've been favoring my left side to block for obvious reasons.
I run my LRM's in Chain Fire, (Reasons for Chain Fire -> No Ghost heat, one of the lrm's is already split volley, that makes it 4 volleys in a cycle, ... Yes this makes AMS better, but a volley of 15 will still get through and do damage, 4 volleys is almost as much as the 6 volleys that the CATP-A1 6 X lrm5 cockpit rockers do)

#9 Cellinor

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Has anyone tried this spec? Is it viable? I don't mind playing an LRM boat, but am interesting in seeing if I can do a hard hitting brawler.

#10 Lt John6

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hi. I just started the game not too long ago, bought the A1, C1 and C4 so i lack the c-bills for further improvements and im currently running my C4 with:
STD 260
3x15 lrm with 10 tons of ammo
endo-steel
DHS
TAG

Its not the best build especially if there is no teamplay but in rare case when you have luck (ecm-s don't rush you the first min :D ) and a good team i can do 500-880 damage most of the maps

#11 Sir Herman von Bear

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

CPLT-C4

This one is my to go build has everything you might need.
And YES the SmallLaser does kill ppl.

#12 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostBlackadder, on 10 June 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

i would just dump the SRM, and go with streak/pulse combo. SRM are kind of average at the moment.

SRMs are one of the strongest weapons in the game. You just need to learn how to use them and on the correct mechs. There's a reason why competitive decks use serious medium SRM brawlers

#13 Pelican1349

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

CPLT-C4
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93fcf4deb7f2424

I decided to keep the LRM 20 and throw on TAG for those pesky ecm folks, so I am not just a walking paperweight.
I also tacked on a pair of Streak SRM 2 and a Med. Pulse laser so I have some close in defense against lights and for when I inevitably run out of missiles.
I went through countless iterations of playing with the loadout, at one point I had just ~215 armor, but 2 LRM 20 + 2 LRM 5 and a large laser. I am happy with the current setup.

#14 Nardic

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:16 AM

Can someone tell me their thoughts on this build

500+ Dmg LRM support

Edited by Nardic, 13 February 2016 - 06:20 AM.

#15 Ximinett

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:43 PM

View PostNardic, on 13 February 2016 - 06:16 AM, said:

Can someone tell me their thoughts on this build

500+ Dmg LRM support

First of all,u must distribute ammo equall on all parts different from left,right and center torso,if the ammo is destroyed on a right or left torso while u have equipped a XL engine,the death is sure. Second,why more ammo on left side???? If that left side is destroyed u have less ammo for use on battlefield. And third,heat generation. Im partidary of less firepower and less heat generation too,because a shutdown on a bad moment can cause u ur death,if the enemy is the one that shutdown first,u have better chances to win. And i talk on my own experience.

Consider this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f82ba94847e517a

Beagle active probe is useless on a lrm mech. Also (correct me if im wrong) the AMS ammo dont destroy u ur internals,so i put on torsos the AMS ammo caused no risk of destroy internals.

I put the max armor possible on this mech too,because i like full defense on all my mechs,if u still consider that u want the beagle active probe,u can put the default armor and put the beagle active probe on center torso:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...457926e982d2480

Edited by Ximinett, 13 February 2016 - 11:51 PM.

#16 Nardic

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostXiminett, on 13 February 2016 - 11:43 PM, said:

First of all,u must distribute ammo equall on all parts different from left,right and center torso,if the ammo is destroyed on a right or left torso while u have equipped a XL engine,the death is sure. Second,why more ammo on left side???? If that left side is destroyed u have less ammo for use on battlefield. And third,heat generation. Im partidary of less firepower and less heat generation too,because a shutdown on a bad moment can cause u ur death,if the enemy is the one that shutdown first,u have better chances to win. And i talk on my own experience.

Consider this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f82ba94847e517a

Beagle active probe is useless on a lrm mech. Also (correct me if im wrong) the AMS ammo don't destroy u ur internals,so i put on torsos the AMS ammo caused no risk of destroy internals.

I put the max armor possible on this mech too,because i like full defense on all my mechs,if u still consider that u want the beagle active probe,u can put the default armor and put the beagle active probe on center torso:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...457926e982d2480

Okay so hows this: CPLT-C4

Now i probably should have clarified that this is probably going to be mostly for extended fights especially in Clan Wars where i will have to deal with a lot of ECM thus the Probe.

I don't like not having the Lasers due to scouts and how they love to target me. Gives me a small deterrent whilst I wait for team support. Despite how much scouts love coming after me I'm fairly good at positioning so I don't tend to be targeted all that often. Sounds contradicting I know but makes sense to me... hehe.

I like to play this as a full indirect fire support most trying to deal damage and disrupt the enemy with the constant barrage of missiles. Thus the 4x LRM10. Also the heat issue is surprisingly easy to manage with them.

As for the ammo well that's just inexperience on my part so I used your design on that.

TBH im not sure how I feel about the 2x LRM15 and 2xLRM5 I will try it and see how it works for me or if later ill try yours and rock the LRM10s over the 15s.

#17 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

This is my primary LURM boat I've been using both in quick play and in CW, doing assault-level damage almost every time.
If you need more pew-pew to melt faces of light mechs, and do damage when out of ammo, drop 1 ton of ammo for a second ML.Or try dual SPL. Or maybe downgrade the engine and try to stick a LL there.

Edited by DavidStarr, 13 March 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#18 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostNardic, on 15 February 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

Okay so hows this: CPLT-C4

He gave you some... questionable advice to say the least.

Best spots for ammo are nearly always the head and legs, for the catapult ears come in second assuming you are running an XL build. Slightly more optimized

BAP is far from useless on an LRM mech. It's not as important as a target decay module but it will increase your lock on speed which is useful and can be stacked with the targeting module.

AMS ammo can explode and damage you. Not as much damage as other ammo but it can explode.

Max armor is never a bad idea but you can usually get away with less than max on the legs and ears for a catapult. Ammo count seems pretty high to me too. Both of these are player preference however.

This is probably how I would run it.
CPLT-C4
I don't play LRM mechs without JJ's and either a NARC or TAG. Positioning and quick locks are too important to not take them.

Edited by Roughneck45, 14 March 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#19 Skjoelsvold

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

I bought a C4 and sorta want two more. I have set it up with 4 lrm 10s
2 mrm 30s (though the C1 might be better for the mrm build) and I
also like 4 streak 6s on the mech. All these builds have 2 ersml lasers
in the center torso. For the mrm build you could take 4 ersml lasers and
have a better laser burn. Honestly I really like this mech. I am considering
getting at least 1 more and potentially a C1 for mrms. Just have fun with
it and customize to your heart's desire. It's a solid chassis and you can
even slap 4 srm 6s in there instead of streaks and concentrate on bringing
down assaults and heavies.

#20 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:19 PM

View PostOogalook, on 04 December 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

I'm running the following inexpensive build right now. Even if it's not the best, its fun- you can put out firepower at any range. This is similar to some of the above builds:
2xSRM6
2xLRM15
TAG
XL300

The XL would normally be really expensive, but I popped mine out of my Sarah's Jenner which I never use anyway. No costly upgrades are required for the build, and it's fun in any situation if you're careful!

I still take that little bugger out, especially when I have that trollolo bug going through my system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users