Jenner Jr7-F With Small Pulse Lasers?

81 replies to this topic

#1 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've seen that the pretty standard and solid route to go with the JR7-F is to use 6 medium lasers.

The other night, I ran into a Jenner JR7-F player who seemed to be doing this build, but instead of medium lasers, he had small pulse lasers. Though I don't know how many he had, since I didn't start giving a **** about how good he was doing with the build until the match was over (I'm assuming it was 6 though).

I'd never seen that alternative before, and it seemed to work incredibly well. Just looking at the numbers on paper, I can see the benefits of SPLAS with how they do their damage over half of the duration, meaning you don't have to train your crosshairs on the target as long as medium lasers to get their full effect. However, their maximum range is significantly shorter. With a range of only 90m, you basically have to be the face-humpy-est of face-humping lights (though that isn't too hard with a Jenner).

Has anyone else tried this build before? How'd it work for you?

Edited by Draconis March, 09 September 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#2 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

I tried it and fell in love with the fast fire of SPL's but all the same grieving over for not having any range. Thus I made a build with 3 ML and 3 SPL and haven't tried anything in F-Jenner since. A very good and fun build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b4e74b30539f7f

#3 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

View Postarghmace, on 09 September 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I tried it and fell in love with the fast fire of SPL's but all the same grieving over for not having any range. Thus I made a build with 3 ML and 3 SPL and haven't tried anything in F-Jenner since. A very good and fun build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b4e74b30539f7f

Just a couple of questions. Why do you put your double heat sinks in your arms rather than completely filling up your center torso / putting them in the side torsos? You'd lose more if you lost one arm.

Also, most JR7-F builds I've heard of only used 2 jump jets. I couldn't notice very much of a difference testing between 2 and 5 jump jets. Wouldn't it be better to drop to 2 for more heat sinks?

#4 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostDraconis March, on 09 September 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Just a couple of questions. Why do you put your double heat sinks in your arms rather than completely filling up your center torso / putting them in the side torsos? You'd lose more if you lost one arm.

Those sinks in my arms protect the lasers from being destroyed. The so called crit padding system. Check this out:
http://mwomercs.com/...-a-brief-guide/

Also, most JR7-F builds I've heard of only used 2 jump jets. I couldn't notice very much of a difference testing between 2 and 5 jump jets. Wouldn't it be better to drop to 2 for more heat sinks?

Could be. I haven't really tested how the amount of heat sinks scale. I just like jumping in my Jenners so thought that more is better :P

#5 DeRazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

I certainly run the 6x SmPL - and it may even have been me you saw as I'm trying to Elite Jenners right now.

In fairness I'm doing it because I want to practise the face huggin' a bit - being more used by far to Heavies and Assaults.

As far as outcomes go... not that great - ratio of 0.25 means I die a lot. BUT! When I get another light 1 to 1 then it really shines.

#6 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostDeRazer, on 09 September 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

and it may even have been me you saw as I'm trying to Elite Jenners right now.

Do you remember complaining about only getting 3 kills in a match? Because that's what the dude did.

#7 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

The small pulse lasers are in an advantage ONLY within 90 meters. You don't want to be inside that range as a light. Maybe in a 1v1, but you don't get many of those.

Medium lasers are just fine within 90 meters, but they also give you solid options for more conservative (and ultimately more reasonable) play in the 300-400m range. You can't throw that away.

Small pulses are not good. Even when I know I will be getting into a brawl I won't go with them because of their range. If their range was 180, then we could talk. Until then, absolutely no way.

TL;DR: I recommend strongly against them, as does every other top-tier light that I'm aware of (except one or two who like them to troll/force brawls and hope for the best).

Edited by PEEFsmash, 09 September 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

Iv seen a few SPL jenner pilots using a macro to chainfire them and just run around sawing through the legs of everything at alarming speeds. I remember one jenner was last man standing against a stalker and atlas, he runs up to the stalker and starts doing the circle of death thing shooting at his legs. One guy on our team starts bitching at him telling him to shoot for the CT sense it was nearly cored anwyays.

He sawed one leg, off, sawed the other leg off, went after the atlas for the same effect.

#9 justjay

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

always used to run 6mlas.

run 6 sm pulse now, never looked back. went 5 kills, 4 assists, 998 damage last round. amazing build, assuming you can pilot it well. and, of course, run a 300xl and 2 JJ....and don't always circle them, that's where light pilots make mistakes.

#10 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

6 SPL will decimate a fellow light.

Sometimes I take 4 SPL and two SSR2s in my Sarah's jenner.

It's completely dependent on a brawl taking place, however. If the teams are sniping back and forth in River City, you are just 35 tons of dead weight. But that can also be said of medium lasers.

#11 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have replaced most of the MLs in my lights/cicadas with SPLs. My CDA-3A has 3 SPL and 3 ML like arghmace suggested. If you want range, you should look to a large laser or something like that.

#12 Mindwipe

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

I've been running with 6 spl's for a while now. I gotta agree with Peef about the range being a real drag and I've been very tempted to switch back, then the next match I go on a knee-capping spree and leave Spiders, Raven's and Cent's crying all over the place.

Overall, I personally find it a wash, I trade range for superior anti-light ability and less time on target which I really notice over the medium lasers. The biggest difference for me though was the better heat management. I can squeeze another round of fire out of the pulses which can be critical.

I've going to switch back to the 6xML's though and play that for a while again. With the changing meta perhaps that will be a better option for me again. It's worth trying both though and see what works best for you.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Arghmace, I would swap one spl and one mlas, that way if you lose an arm, you will still have at least one mlas, no matter which arm you lose.

#14 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

There are three advantages to using six small pulse over six medium:
1) Less heat
2) Faster recycle
3) More focused damage against faster targets

Three disadvantages:
1) Less range
2) Less alpha
3) You can eat a lot of friendly fire if your teammates aren't careful

For pugging or casual four mans, it works really well. For competitive play, I doubt it works. I don't play many games against the Rainbow coalition of MWO superstars though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

#15 krolmir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

I like the six SPL jenny, best match was 7 kills, 1 assist, and 812 damage. I average 400-600 in 4 mans. Haven't tried it much in 12v12 thou....

#16 Melximus

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

This is my personal favourite build for JR7-F witch i call JR7-F/erLL/SL
So it goes something like this:
All upgrades included
XL engine 245
2x ER Large laser - u can also go 2x Large lasers
4x Small laser
11 Double heat sinks- 1 left sholder 1 right sholder+ the engine sinks/ You can also lose 1 DHS for 3 extra slots and 1 tonage / also lose some armor for that 0,5 tonnage and u can even put BAP or AMS + 3 jets
3 jump jets - 1 left sholder 1 torso 1 right sholder OR beagle active probe OR AMS- my personal choice is jump jets
232 Armor-Ferro-Fiberos
Fire power 30- you got long distance and close distance range/ 18 dmg long / 12 dmg short
Heat efficenty 1. 08,
Now you can tweak this build in many ways
XL engine 255/ but no jump jets/probe/ams, everything other the same

More tweaks ? Stronger engines less fire power no jets/ no probes / no AMS
i suggest you keep the original build i posted and not even use engine XL 255/ IF YOU WANT FASTER LIGHT MECH JUST DONT USE JR7-F cause there are 2 more janners in ur lab ?

Edited by Melximus, 10 September 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#17 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

I used to run that configuration until I fell in love with my primary Support-Sniper build. It revolves around a Large Pulse Laser in the Left arm and three small lasers in the right. XL Engine, FF and ES got me up to about 125.2kph. I like it. I'm able to snipe an run in for a quick barrage of SLs before jumping back and doing it again.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

I tried it. So many free hugs, such cool mech. But it suffers from death at long range, because terrain will only get you so far. I ended up mixing builds to get 1xERPPC+3xSPL.

#19 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

I've been tempted to run SPLx6, but as mentioned upthread the short range keeps me from doing it. I might give it a go, but I suspect I won't do very well with it.

#20 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostDraconis March, on 09 September 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I've seen that the pretty standard and solid route to go with the JR7-F is to use 6 medium lasers.

The other night, I ran into a Jenner JR7-F player who seemed to be doing this build, but instead of medium lasers, he had small pulse lasers. Though I don't know how many he had, since I didn't start giving a **** about how good he was doing with the build until the match was over (I'm assuming it was 6 though).

I'd never seen that alternative before, and it seemed to work incredibly well. Just looking at the numbers on paper, I can see the benefits of SPLAS with how they do their damage over half of the duration, meaning you don't have to train your crosshairs on the target as long as medium lasers to get their full effect. However, their maximum range is significantly shorter. With a range of only 90m, you basically have to be the face-humpy-est of face-humping lights (though that isn't too hard with a Jenner).

Has anyone else tried this build before? How'd it work for you?

I love brawling so I use my JR7-F with 6 small pulse lasers to leg people, specially atlas and stalkers. It runs cooler that the regular 6 meds, and you will be practicing and improving your brawling skills since you have to really get close to your target...

Edited by Mutaroc, 12 September 2013 - 12:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users