Best 55T Zombie?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Koujo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Looking for a new mech to play with. My stable is mostly full of cents and hunchies so now I'm looking at the 55 tonners. While the Shadow Hawk appears to be the only 55t mech that could truly be called a zombie mech due to the hard points in the head and chest, I'm not ignoring the Griffin and Wolverine.

All of the builds I've seen for these mechs all use XL engines. Does anyone run standard engines in these at all?

#2 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

I wouldn't call them zombies, but there are some STD engine builds I use for CW.

SHD-2K or SHD-2K
Sparky.
WVR-7K
GRF-3M

But in the PUG queue I run XLs all day on my 55 tonners, except maybe on the ERLL 2K..

Edited by Kevjack, 04 January 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#3 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:20 AM

I too run mostly XLs on my wolverine & Griffin. I have, however, recently needed the 315XL that was in my Wubverine for another mech, and decided to try it out with a STD260 I believe. It worked well enough. Since it's a second line support mech, the slower speed doesn't hurt it as much as you'd expect.

You could also run a Wolverine 7K with SRM18 & 3x ML and either STD 275 or 300. It's just way more fun to run ith with a bigger XL engine...

#4 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:23 AM

Why does everyone always forget the Kintaros? ;~; All of them have CT hardpoints of some kind. Sure they can't mount jumpjets, but the amount of SRMs they can bring makes them really fun brawlers.

#5 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

You call for Zombies ?
I call for Centurions !

Should be enough of a pointer sir, although the Centurions are 5T less from what you called for and already got in your stable .

But Ive heard Griffins and Shadowhawks being not too shabby neither^^

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 05 January 2015 - 02:26 AM.

#6 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

The only true Zombie 55t
KTO-20

horrible torso twist though.

Edited by mogs01gt, 05 January 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#7 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

I'd say Stormcrow is a front runner with that head laser in the new Era. Sure not a "zombie" but I have good experience with rolling that damage.

Kintaro is up there as well. Those missile doors help it a ton. I recall one game (a long, long time ago before the clans and before queue split) where I was literally alive what seemed like an eternity against 7-8 enemies (probably only 30-40s in reality). Managing to kill a Cicada with LRMs before being put down.

This caused one of the guys from the House of Bacon to state:
"What the hell is that Kintaro made of?"
My Reply:
"Bacon" (tasty, tasty, crispy bacon)

#8 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

id say.. a quickdraw with 5 jj's.

#9 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Centurion A

- can outfight all clan mechs in urban or sheltered terrain with relative ease,open terrain its harder but can be done
- has the same firepower as best comp IS meta builds,3 ASRM6 launchers being the main weapon
- speed and torso twist is excellent

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostCyborgDragon, on 05 January 2015 - 02:23 AM, said:

Why does everyone always forget the Kintaros? ;~; All of them have CT hardpoints of some kind. Sure they can't mount jumpjets, but the amount of SRMs they can bring makes them really fun brawlers.

because ammo in the CT is a bad idea, so not really good as a zombie and when you put ammo in the head, well this is going to be consumed first meaning when you go zombie you will probably not have any ammo left anymore.

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 January 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#11 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 January 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

because ammo in the CT is a bad idea, so not really good as a zombie and when you put ammo in the head, well this is going to be consumed first meaning when you go zombie you will probably not have any ammo left anymore.

Yeah, but usually you have some ammo in the legs (good place for it as you generally don't jump around and as long as you run high armor it isn't that risky)

Edited by Chagatay, 05 January 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#12 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

That is why you use the 20 and put pulse lasers in there.

#13 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:21 AM

Griffins are my vote for 55 tonners. Huge shield arms, all variants can either mount every weapon on one side (tanking with LA/LT) or in the torsos (tanking with LA/RA). It's not a true zombie inasmuch as you can't fight on as a stick, but it can absorb a lot of fire and stay operational.

If we're talking about mediums below 55 tons, I'll add the Hunchback 4SP to the conversation. Small profile, good torso hitboxes for rolling damage, a free ton of extra armor, great with standard engines, and you still have the headlaser if they manage to blow out both halves of your weapons. The only thing holding it back is that the slender arms don't tend to catch much fire.

Edited by Bleary, 06 January 2015 - 02:22 AM.

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostBleary, on 06 January 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

Griffins are my vote for 55 tonners. Huge shield arms, all variants can either mount every weapon on one side (tanking with LA/LT) or in the torsos (tanking with LA/RA). It's not a true zombie inasmuch as you can't fight on as a stick, but it can absorb a lot of fire and stay operational.

If we're talking about mediums below 55 tons, I'll add the Hunchback 4SP to the conversation. Small profile, good torso hitboxes for rolling damage, a free ton of extra armor, great with standard engines, and you still have the headlaser if they manage to blow out both halves of your weapons. The only thing holding it back is that the slender arms don't tend to catch much fire.

Neither of those are Zombies....

#15 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:17 AM

According to Karl Berg recently, head ammo is consumed last, CT first. So a ton of CT ammo is really no big deal. If you're cored before you've shot a ton, you're hosed anyway.

#16 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 06 January 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Neither of those are Zombies....

The 4SP is if you mount a laser in the head. The OP noticed that they were also considering the Griffin, and I mentioned that Griffins are not 'true' zombies insofar as they cannot fight as a stick.

#17 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostBleary, on 06 January 2015 - 06:06 PM, said:

The 4SP is if you mount a laser in the head. The OP noticed that they were also considering the Griffin, and I mentioned that Griffins are not 'true' zombies insofar as they cannot fight as a stick.

In proper 4sp build, you never mount on in the head.

Edited by mogs01gt, 07 January 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#18 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:50 AM

Any Hunchback with a standard engine should have that medium laser in the head. Always.

#19 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PosteFTy, on 08 January 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

Any Hunchback with a standard engine should have that medium laser in the head. Always.

maybe for bad players running a 200engine.... Their isnt enough crit space on a Hunchie to keep 5 MLs cool.

#20 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

Can't really say that a zombie is a good choice these days , anyone with experiance or a team mate can focus the legs off.

As a 50-55 toner only has 72~78 health points in total per leg, that is 1 alpha from 2 mech or 2 from 1 mech as brawlers now have 3~4 SRM6 + they have larger XL engines wich would make you a slower burstable target with ~150 points of effective armor at most.

Though if they don't go for the legs it might work but tanking is more of the heavys and assaults job. If you have to zombie a 55 medium the shadowhawk 2D and 2D2 can do 2xsrm4 , one in the head and one in the CT with a ton of ammo in the CT , and the wolverine's have a head laser, I guess the shadowhavks have more of a zombie punch though ammo dependant.

That's my 2 cent.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 08 January 2015 - 06:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users