New Movement Is Unacceptable

23 replies to this topic

#1 lordsegan

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

I was about to purchase the Phoenix package. I really only want the Assault class mech, but I have the RL $$ so I figured, why not?

But this new movement patch takes a lot of the fun away. I don't mind if they tweak movement, but I cant even go up moderate hills in a heavy mech. That's ridiculous.

PGI won't see another dime until they fix movement.

#2 Teir Dasande

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Lol. Kay. Realism* sucks doesn't it. I didn't like that i could walk up a 60 degree hill with no issue or slow down.. It need a few tweaks, but its not too bad.

*Realism applied to 8 story metal walking death machines.

#3 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Finally JJ's are actually making mechs more maneuverable like they are supposed to do.
Since they also reduced the shake (apparently the piles of QQ made by wierd pps got through somehow) you can now use them without getting ¨dizzy¨ - I think that was what people said they felt from it. Not that I would know since I never had any issues with it.

#4 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

View Postlordsegan, on 05 July 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

But this new movement patch takes a lot of the fun away. I don't mind if they tweak movement, but I cant even go up moderate hills in a heavy mech. That's ridiculous.

Yes, I agree it is ridiculous the degree that they have changed movement and I hope they listen to the players and make adjustments. It is obvious that the maps simply were not designed with this mechanic in mind, so there are countless places that look like you should be able to climb them, but alas, you will find out the hard way that you cannot. That is not realism, it is just frustrating.

On top of that, certain maps are now even more unbalanced due to the changes, and it becomes a high risk maneuver to do anything besides defend your base on Canyon if you don't have jumpjets.

The absolute worst part of the change, however, has nothing to do with the actual implementation. It has to do with the fact that no feedback was really sought before making the change, and the devs have been basically incommunicado regarding player concerns since the change. Their entire response to player feedback has been "send us screenshots of pebbles you get stuck on", which, to me, sounds like they just don't care whether players have any concerns with the general mechanic itself.

Even a quick note that they have heard our concerns and our looking into it would be comforting, even if they eventually say they don't think anything needs to be changed. What is the point of calling it a beta if they don't keep up even the slightest appearance of seeking feedback from and maintaining communication with us "testers"?

Edited by LastPaladin, 06 July 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#5 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Agreed, the new movement needs smoothing out. The old movement was fine by me, remember this is a game and we still need to be able to get to our opponents lol. Canyon network isn't as much fun anymore now that we can't walk up trails that are clearly seen in the map.

Edited by Celtic Warrior, 06 July 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#6 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I like slowing down mechs on inclines - but completely stopping them in there tracks isn't cool. They are taking the greatest advantage battlemechs are supposed to give - MOBILITY. They have legs for a reason!

#7 ovie

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I like the new movement as is. There are plenty of paths you can take up even on Canyon. The current movement system just make it where you have to THINK before you act.(yes I know some of you cant do that) I have had no real problems on any of the maps piloting anything from my Stalkers to my Spiders. GJ Devs :)

#8 Sentinel Knight

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

[color=#959595]But this new movement patch takes a lot of the fun away.[/color]

signed.

#9 20k

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

I quite like the new movement. It gives people an incentive not to play assault mechs, and it makes maps much more tactical because you can no longer walk straight up cliffs - you have to actually play tactically and manoeuvre properly, 'specially on canyon

Pretty good all around, really

Edited by 20k, 06 July 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#10 C4RNAGE

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 69 posts
  • LocationLast known orbit ->Inautus

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Again the changes was too big, is very hard too not a catch a stoppe from very small objects.

Speed is going down drastically.

Reduce the changes pleaseeee....

Or we need patches for the maps to be more playable.

#11 Skyraxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't hate the new system, but it needs a lot of work. There's too many instances where you get stuck on some terrain you should easily be able to scale only to be sitting like a duck while you help a group of stalkers calibrate their PPC's on your center torso.

I'd like to see momentum play a bigger role. So when I'm using jumpjets in canyon and I'm half a foot short of the high ground my speed doesn't just drop straight to zero. I either need to have enough speed to make it to the top, or accelerate down to the bottom of the valley.

#12 The Big CR

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

No, I will not play until this has been patched. This game is broken with that climbing change. Everyone is just dropping in ppc stalkers and waiting to instant kill whoever tries to advance.

#13 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Here is a common story, hill looks climbable... ok looking good.... OH NO! I hit the magic 2 foot wide 45 degree spot on an otherwise level looking climbable hill. SUDDEN STOP. EAT PPCS form the whole enemy team. Congrats your dead.

What is by far the most ******** feature is how there seems to be a half *** implimentation of momentum. Its like your mech is a horse that saw something scary which then suddenly decides to stop moving.

Edited by ManDaisy, 06 July 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#14 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Raise the cap to 60 degrees and raise the amount of degrees before a mech slows by roughly 25% of their current degree settings. Boom, problem solved.

#15 Vilemind

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

It adds a lot of flavour to me.
Makes piloting lights and mediums a lot more rewarding.
Makes piloting the assaults more of a challenge.
It also stops you getting flanked in a lot of places which helps the heavies and assaults against being circle strafed to death by lights.

#16 Iseul

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

A lot of people here hit it spot on.

The fact that, while I'm climbing a hill and get stuck on a pebble because the incline it too steep is irritating.

These mechs have legs for a reason. I love the slower climb on inclines; when it works.

#17 Arclight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think overall it's an improvement, but I wouldn't be opposed if PGI experimented with some tweaks such as a slow crawl instead of stopping or relaxing the limitations.

As is I don't have a problem with it, though I haven't ran an assault with the new system. Friend of mine pretty much only uses an Atlas, and he remarked he likes the new system.

Edited by Arclight, 06 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#18 Madara Uchiha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

While I like the idea of some penalty for movement, I agree what we currently have is ridiculous, say what you want about realism and all that but when it becomes a chore to something like walking up a small hill, it takes the fun out of playing all together, not to mention how predictable things are now.

#19 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

For the most part I really like the new system but it definitely needs some tweaks. Right now it doesn't take into account the length of the incline, allowing a small lip on a crater to stop an assault mech. If the piece of terrain you are trying to cross is shorter than the height your mech's foot reaches when walking, it shouldn't impact movement. An Atlas going up the side of a vertical cliff is ridiculous but so is one being stopped by a pebble. This is a stumble in the right direction but it needs work.

#20 TB Azrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostTeir Dasande, on 05 July 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Lol. Kay. Realism* sucks doesn't it. I didn't like that i could walk up a 60 degree hill with no issue or slow down.. It need a few tweaks, but its not too bad.

*Realism applied to 8 story metal walking death machines.

I think the problem is they didn't rework the maps themselves just went over it with the 'you can't go here brush' and it's a royal pain.
Look at Upper in River City from the close spawn - you fall off the bridge and you are screwed except for a tiny somewhat hard to use path way to the left of the bridge that puts your back to the Op4. Canyon - you at least could tell before where you could climb now you can't reliably.
It's fine to fix/adjust the climbing areas but at least look at the consequences/issues of the change before you put it in the patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users