15 replies to this topic

#1 Spunkmeyer

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • LocationChicago IL, cReddit Merc Corp

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hello Mechwarriors. It’s about time I wrote up a build log for the desktop mech cockpit I’ve been working on for the last few months. When I set out to build this, I wanted to create something that was both functional, and economic on space. As much as I admire the 360 degree chair-and-cockpit experience, I simply don’t have the room for it right now. Thusly, I have designed the current system to be modular with room for future expansion. It is currently a work in progress.

Posted Image

Design:
I was heavily influenced by the battletech pods I played in as a kid. The current modules consist of a center console and two peripheral modules.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I already had some helicopter avionics lying around, so I decided to integrate them into the layout that made the most functional and aesthetic sense. The center console houses communication, command, and ECM functions. The left module contains reactor functions, heat management, and weapons management. The right module operates vision modes and master caution. The rest of the avionics were procured via e-bay or DRMO auctions. I am utilizing Sikorsky UH60 panels, Collins, Link-11, and some JTIDS panels, autopilot controller from a Lockheed Electra, and the master gunner's caution from an AH-1. Many were in rough shape and required stripping down/repair. I have not yet re-labeled the controls because it would require altering the backlighting which would be difficult. Eventually I may make use of customized panels. The panels were populated with whatever I had lying around, and wholesale buttons from overseas.

Posted Image

Construction:
I am on a reasonably tight budget with this project, and consequently have to get creative when it comes to materials. The base frames for the modules are constructed with scrap wood I salvaged from a box spring mattress someone was throwing out. The sheet-metal skin is also a lucky alley find.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Implementation:
About 90% of the buttons and switches are functional. They are wired to a microcontroller [acquired from here. Ignore the atrocious site design: http://www.desktopaviator.com/] shich connects to the computer via USB. The board is recognized by the computer as a joystick. Due to MWO’s lack of sufficient nkb devices, I have mapped each button to a keyboard keystroke. In order to implement toggle switches, I chose a microcontroller that is able to convert a constand input to a momentary signal [that way when you flip a toggle, the computer doesn’t receive “wwwwwww”]. The backlighting is mostly 12v. one module runs off 5v, so I used USB power for that. The two top left and right panels are backlit for nightvision and require 115v, so those plug directly into the wall. The autopilot controller on the right side has 12v relays for the levers to maintain their state. Unfortunately, the voltage required for the relays is interfering with the microcontroller and triggering miscellaneous inputs. Still gotta sort that one out...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looking forward:
As of right now all lights and indicators are static. MWO simpit builders currently have no way of getting the game to export event data for cockpits. For example, if you wanted a "critical heat" warning to trigger an indicator in your cockpit, you would need some sort of .dll released from the devs to export this data. Plenty of flight simulator games have done this to great success without compromising game security: we can only home that the sim-heads get some love in the future.

#2 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Exellent! looks like it's a lot funner to play with than kbm alone. I have limited space too and hence a lack of desire for an enclosed cockpit (other more fundamental reasons also make this option less attractive). Thanks to Foust, I now have 3D CAD drawings of my mechpit, which doesn't take up much more room than the normal office chair that was otherwise populating my battlestation. When/if you want to expand on your pit, it would be 100% compatible since it's modular as well, and happens to be the part of the pit you haven't built yet... and it's basically made to mate with a desk.

we can only home that the sim-heads get some love in the future.

...and hope we shall! When I started my mechpit projects last yeat I thought MWO would be like most simulators and it didn't even cross my mind that there would not be full cockpit support, so was in for a series of hard shocks as I found out little by little what a pipe dream it all was. At this point even just adding TrackIR support would be nothing short of a miracle...

Looking forward to seeing more, and loving the work so far. I'm pretty sure most everyone that builds these is driving a work-in-progress, so don't get hung up on it being 'finished'... that day never comes! ;)

#3 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Very nice desktop pit there. I have switch envy.

#4 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

You should also have a heater of some kind under your seat for when your running hot in-game.

#5 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Very nice, well done.

#6 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the pointer at this thread. Great walkthrough of your mock up and build. Wow wow wow wow. You basically did what I want to do and have been trying to figure out the best way to do 10x better O_O ... now I gotta go back to the drawing board (again!)

#7 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Very cool, love all the switches and buttons and the fact it doesn't take up a ton of room.

One question though, what's the device to the left of the keyboard in the first picture? It looks like some kind of odd mouse.

#8 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Very nice work sir, it looks great and the fact that it's actually functional is quite impressive. Keep up the good work. Also nice monitor and nostromo :D I have the same.

Edit: ^^ the device to the left of his keyboard is the Razer Nostromo gaming pad, they're very comfortable.

Edited by t Khrist, 09 July 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#9 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

What did you use for the metal skin over your center console panel?

Did you cut a template out of cardboard onto some sheet aluminum and then just bolt it down?

#10 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

What is the left-hand device that you have? looks interesting.

#11 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostevilC, on 10 July 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

What is the left-hand device that you have? looks interesting.

I answered this question, although it looks like an older model of the nostromo gaming pad.

#12 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

I use the same pad, it's an original nostromo N52. I love it for MWO. Sat around collecting dust prior to that.

#13 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Awesome thread. You might want to try a Teensey 3.0 or 3.1 for your issues that you have. I currently have a 3.0 and i'm resurrecting if from storage to get my build back on track from a year on the back burner.

Any recent pics or updates?

#14 Slechtvalk

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Absolutely great.

Yeah its a shame that you cant read out controls from mwo. That would blast the simpit experience to highend level. but doesnt looks like that they will ever implement.

Like for the nice work!

#15 Angatai

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

I have had no luck with the same USB interface. the computer sees the input but the game does not.

any help?

#16 Laconicus

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Lovely stuff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users