Ice Hellion

21 replies to this topic

#1 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

are there any ice hellion units running around?

#2 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

CLAN ICE HELLION

Posted Image

Clan Ice Hellion was one of the original twenty Clans founded by Nicholas Kerensky, named after the ice hellion found on Hector. A fiercely proud and quarrelsome Clan, in battle they favored speed over brute strength to win victories, a doctrine of "blitzkrieg" heavily influenced by their founding Khan, Stephan Cage. Staunch Crusaders the Ice Hellions were fairly traditional in their distrust of the merchant caste and scorn for freeborn warriors. Bondsmen rarely became abtakha warriors as most other Clansmen had difficulty adjusting to the Hellion's esoteric battle philosophy idealizing speed above everything else.

History

Founding

Stephan Cage originally commanded the Third Battalion of the 200th Dragoon Regiment, participating in the conquest of the Rim Worlds Republic and the liberation of Terra during the Amaris Civil War. As commander of a recon unit Cage proved himself skilled at using light forces in an aggressive role, and was among those who followed Aleksandr Kerensky on the First Exodus, settling on the harsh world of Hector and becoming its leader. Cage would reaffirm his loyalty to Aleksandr's son Nicholas Kerensky and followed him after the Second Exodus to Strana Mechty, where he was chosen to lead the newly-formed Clan Ice Hellion.

When Nicholas said the fierce pride shown by those early Hector settlers matched the nature of the ice hellion, one of that planet's most tenacious predators, Khan Cage took his words as gospel and began seeing similarities between his Clan and its namesake everywhere, or creating them where he could. As the Clans' military assets were divided up for the planned return to the Pentagon Worlds, Khan Cage requested a preponderance of light and medium BattleMechs for the Clan in order to more closely emulate the predator's speed and grace. Though other regarded this lack of a balanced approach as a weakness Cage saw it as a strength; speed and maneuverability would become Clan Ice Hellion's key to survivability and prosperity on the battlefield.

Operation Klondike

Hellion Civil War

In the wake of the success of Operation Klondike the Ice Hellions under Cage grew in size as inter-Clan raids and trials began in earnest. Eager to test his philosophy against real soldiers, rather than the pathetic rebels so recently conquered, he unleashed his Clan against the other Clans. Their foes, initially dismissing the lightweight Hellion units, were surprised by the flexibility and adaptability the Hellions displayed while their own units were still practicing old Star League tactics or experimenting in what would eventually become common Clan battle doctrine. In this way the Ice Hellions became powerful beyond all expectations within a decade of the Pentagon War.

Unfortunately the other Clans soon learned how to counter the Ice Hellion tactics and the Clan began suffering defeat after defeat as they came under attack from all sides. Only one Ice Hellion commander, saKhan Lucius Moore, still won more often than lost, and though Cage initially chalked it up to superior ability reports of a more sinister explanation began to filter regarding his success.

After the Annihilation of Clan Wolverine, Cage desperately sought out the secret behind Moore's success, fearful that his personal friendship with Khan Sarah McEvedy of the Wolverines would imperil his Clan. To his horror Cage found that Moore had been giving his warriors performance-enhancing drugs, provided to him by members of his own Clan's scientist caste. Such a dishonor, affecting nearly a fifth of their warriors, would ***** the whole Clan and lead to its Annihilation just as the Wolverines were unless Cage acted quickly. Going before the Grand Council Cage presented this evidence and demanded a Trial of Grievance against Moore, pleading for a chance for Clan Ice Hellion to rid itself of the treacherous Moore and his followers. The plan was agreed to by the Council, undoubtedly because some saw it as a win-win situation: either the Ice Hellions would be annihilated or so weakened as to be easy pickings.

For the next three months Cage hunted down Moore and his followers, engaging in numerous pitched battles which saw heavy casualties. Eventually Cage emerged victorious over the drug-enhanced warriors, though his victory came at a high cost. Clan Ice Hellion had shrunk by nearly fifty percent at the end of the civil war, including many of the most brilliant scientists the Clan had, purged for their role in the conflict. Cage would also step down as Khan of the Ice Hellions in the hopes that new blood would speed along the Clan's rebuilding.

Golden Century
No Data

The Secret Trial

By the end of the Golden Century the Ice Hellions had regained much of their former strength and successfully erased the stain of the Moore scandal. The Clan had also become became enthusiastic Crusaders, with Khan Jena Norizuchi eloquently leading the call to return to the Inner Sphere to reclaim it. The Wardens led by Clan Wolf Khan Kerlin Ward managed to successfully hold off the threat of invasion when they managed to pass the Dragoon Compromise in 3000. So furious was Norizuchi at "this disgraceful excuse for action" that she stormed out of Grand Council chamber after much admonishment and veiled threats.

In private she confided to saKhan Ernest Wick her intention to defy the Grand Council and lead the Ice Hellions in an invasion of the Inner Sphere by themselves. Wick begged her to reconsider, saying it would result in the Annihilation of their Clan, but she refused to hear his pleas and began preparations for the assault. In desperation Wick gathered the Clan's senior officers to relay to them their Khan's plans and his intention to challenge her to a private Trial of Annihilation, stressing its secrecy so that the other Clans would not learn of it and either Absorb or Annihilate their Clan.

With the backing of the Clan's Beta Galaxy Wick confronted Norizuchi and Alpha Galaxy on Hector and for the second time in Ice Hellion history one Khan fought against the other. In the most commonly accept version of what transpired, Wick challenged Norizuchi for the mantle of Khan. When she refused the challenge he warned her to defend herself regardless, and in the resulting bloodbath that followed Wick prevailed, though only a single Cluster of his survived. Less common versions of the story have Wick, accepting that he could not defeat Alpha Galaxy in open combat, launched a surprise attack in order to guarantee victory.

Regardless Wick moved quickly to seize control of the Clan and to hide the truth from the Grand Council, attributing Khan Norizuchi's death to a Bandit Caste attack and the weakening of Alpha and Beta Galaxies to retaliatory raids and extensive bandit sabotage. Some of the other Clans were skeptical of such claims but took no action, and the Ice Hellions were successful in hiding the truth from the rest of Clan society for nearly six decades.

Hellion's Fury

When the arrival ComStar's Outbound Light in 3048 finally forced the a go-vote for the Invasion, much to their shock and anger the Ice Hellions failed to win a place in the invasion force, being knocked out in the second round of the trials. With Khan Stephen Tyler scared of a heavy cost of renewed internal tensions with the decision, he responded by directing the attentions of his enraged warriors outward with a campaign against the other Clans called The Hellion's Fury, netting the Ice Hellions considerable territory and goods. After the Refusal War and the ravaging of Clans Wolf and Jade Falcon, Khan Asa Taney of the Ice Hellions attempted to form a coalition of the Home Clans (Clans that did not participate in the invasion) in order to either win a place in the invasion or to absorb one of the clans that was already in the Inner Sphere.

However Asa Taney was thwarted by Khans Vladimir Ward and Marthe Pryde of the Wolves and Jade Falcons. No Trial of Absorption took place. Taney then attempted to whip up a Crusader frenzy in the Home Clans and just as he did so, the Wolves and Falcons stepped in to declare a series of Trials of Possession for Crusader units (known as the Harvest Trials) where warriors and units were won from their clan to become part of Clan Wolf or Clan Jade Falcon to seek glory in the Inner Sphere. This gutted Taney's powerbase, even his own saKhan attempted to join the Wolves.

When the resurrected Star League attacked the Smoke Jaguars, Taney hoped to win a place in the Inner Sphere, but was again blocked by Khans Ward and Pryde.
The Great Refusal

The Ice Hellions fought Clan Nova Cat during the Great Refusal on Strana Mechty and were soundly defeated. Khan Asa Taney's aerospace fighter was shot down by Khan Severen Leroux of the Nova Cats.

The outraged Hellions threw themselves into the various Trials of Possession for former Nova Cat, Ghost Bear, and Smoke Jaguar worlds, winning portions of Barcella, Hoard, Atreus, Londerholm, and Huntress. However, all five worlds remain contested. With the Hellion touman stretched to its limit, the Clan may have to abandon some of its new gains.

The Ice Hellions are torn between continuing the traditional Crusader dream of returning to the Inner Sphere and a new Crusader vision of enhancing the Ice Hellion's strength in Clan Space, possibly setting the stage for a third Ice Hellion civil war.
In the spring of 3071 the Ice Hellions attempted a major foray into the Inner Sphere, attacking the coreward end of the Jade Falcon OZ with almost their entire touman. Know both as Operation "Ice Storm" and (to the Falcons) the 'Hellion Tantrum', fighting was fierce, with the Hells Horses entering the conflict on the side of the Falcons during the latter half of the war to turn the tide finally against the Hellions. The Ice Hellions were shattered, withdrawing with only 3 Clusters of Beta Galaxy remaining of their invasion force. Subsequently they are known to have been active in the Deep Periphery, launching piratical resource raids upon the Ghost Bear Dominion.

Wars of Reaving
No Data.

Military

Main article: Clan Ice Hellion Touman
Ice Hellion military doctrine emphasizes fast thinking, hand-eye coordination and rapid reaction above all else; a warrior who hits first is prized over one who takes time to think over his course of action. While allowing them to win many battles this philosophy has also cost the Ice Hellions just as many defeats, with warriors making hasty decisions only to see them backfire. While they acknowledge this deficiency the Ice Hellions believe the advantages of taking the initiative outweighs the flaws. Ice Hellion tactical doctrine is relatively sound, based on swift attacks and the agility necessary to respond to a changing battlefield. Coordination between units is also emphasized to avoid confusion during combat, although in high-pressure situations some Star Captains and Star Commanders have a propensity to make rash decisions.

Since its founding the Clan traditionally uses light and medium weight 'Mechs, with the aptly-named Hellion serving as their primary machine. A small portion of heavy and assault weight 'Mechs are also produced, primarily for garrison duties, although these too favor speed over armor with designs such as the Gargoyle and Linebacker within their touman. The aerospace assets initially consigned to the Clan were also primarily light and medium weight fighters, although this put the Clan as a disadvantage in dogfighting and eventually were forced to adopted heavier designs, with a preference towards the Visigoth and Sabutai. Where they are used at all Ice Hellion infantry will either be equipped with Battle Armor or, if garrison or solahma units, be outfitted with jump packs or mechanized transport.
Inter-Clan Relations

The universal view of the Ice Hellions by their fellow Clans is that while they have perseverance and drive, they constantly grasps for prizes beyond their reach. They are never really taken seriously by other clans, even the Hellion's Fury campaign was seen as more of a temper tantrum to be weathered rather than a serious campaign. Khan Asa Taney is also universally derided for his constant scheming, none of which has born him any fruit. It is generally believed that his Clan would be better off without him. The Ice Hellions in turn look down on the rest of the Clans. They have no real allies among the Clans, but few real enemies either. The upside to being dismissed as unimportant is the lack of sincere foes, only the Wolves have earned the Hellion enmity.

Posted Image
Era Specific Data

Ice Hellion Demographics
Affiliation: Crusader

Clan Space Worlds:
Atreus (35 percent)
Babylon (23 percent)
Barcella (38 percent)
Foster (30 percent)
Hector (100 percent)
Hoard (40 percent)
Huntress (8 percent)
Londerholm (68 percent)
Marshall (9 percent)
New Kent (6 percent)
Tathis (30 percent)
Capital: Hector
Population (Clan Space): 101,309,000 (3060)
Population growth rate: 3.1 percent (82/51)
Self-Sufficiency Index: 91 percent

Leaders:
Khan: Asa Taney
saKhan: Sellen Cage
Loremaster: Jonas Cage
Scientist-Gneral: Ken (Pascal)
Merchant Factor: Martine
Master Technician: Lukas
Senior Laborer: Lew

Military:
Clusters: 21
WarShips: 13

#3 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostSkylarr, on 10 July 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

i meant, are any ice hellion units recruiting? or is the clan not active in mwo?

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Neg, not that I can recall... I also caught the pun... Ice Hellion... Running around. Very sly, I like it.

#5 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 11 July 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Neg, not that I can recall... I also caught the pun... Ice Hellion... Running around. Very sly, I like it.

they love the flurry of activity what can i say?

#6 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

The Clan Ice Hellion is not one of the four invading Clans and is therefore not yet represented within MW:O.

#7 CaptainLentaro

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Well, ill be sure to join them when they finally get here.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

View PostCaptainLentaro, on 02 August 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Well, ill be sure to join them when they finally get here.

You'll have to wait until after 3060 in game time

#9 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

I am dying to see a Clan Ice Hellion unit right now.

#10 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

View PostWill9761, on 30 August 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

I am dying to see a Clan Ice Hellion unit right now.

Good luck, unless you're a big four clan you aren't going to get the people to join. There's no reason to join a Clan unit over one of the giant merc units now. I would love to see every clan represented in the game, especially my Clan Fire Mandrill but it just isn't gonna happen in the state of the game now.

#11 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

View PostRed Legs Greaves, on 31 August 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

Good luck, unless you're a big four clan you aren't going to get the people to join. There's no reason to join a Clan unit over one of the giant merc units now. I would love to see every clan represented in the game, especially my Clan Fire Mandrill but it just isn't gonna happen in the state of the game now.

There is, actually. At least for the about 1000+ players in Clan Wolf loyal units ;)

By the way, i would like to see all Clans represented, too, especially the Hellions; i have no special love for them, Crusader and too impulsive, but i do like somewhat their peculiar tactics and they have never got too much attention anyway..

Come on, we even have a Cloud Cobra unit, where are all the Hellions fans hiding? :ph34r:

Edited by CyclonerM, 01 September 2015 - 12:11 AM.

#12 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 01 September 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:

There is, actually. At least for the about 1000+ players in Clan Wolf loyal units ;)

By the way, i would like to see all Clans represented, too, especially the Hellions; i have no special love for them, Crusader and too impulsive, but i do like somewhat their peculiar tactics and they have never got too much attention anyway..

Come on, we even have a Cloud Cobra unit, where are all the Hellions fans hiding? :ph34r:

I am glad the wolves are doing well. However before CW there were many different clans running around. I know there are still few around but in my opinion CW killed the small to medium units. Before CW and at the beginning of it, units had personality. Units did a bit of roleplaying and many had cool back grounds. Now it's just a bunch of mercs hoping factions and the few loyalists getting sick of not getting matches and having to switch factions to get a game. There's no reason to stick to a faction because there's no benefit to sticking around. I actually enjoy CW and I hope it gets better. But it needs to give rewards to sticking to faction and to make the emblem next to you name mean something.

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostRed Legs Greaves, on 01 September 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

I am glad the wolves are doing well. However before CW there were many different clans running around. I know there are still few around but in my opinion CW killed the small to medium units. Before CW and at the beginning of it, units had personality. Units did a bit of roleplaying and many had cool back grounds. Now it's just a bunch of mercs hoping factions and the few loyalists getting sick of not getting matches and having to switch factions to get a game. There's no reason to stick to a faction because there's no benefit to sticking around. I actually enjoy CW and I hope it gets better. But it needs to give rewards to sticking to faction and to make the emblem next to you name mean something.

As a loyal Wolf warrior, i could not agree more with you... I am a bit fed up of MechWarrior game focusing always on mercs, single player or multy does not matter. In MW4 Mercs i used to name my units like "4th Wolf Guards" or "Wolf Spider Keshik".. So much for House/Clan militaries being the main forces fighting in the Inner Sphere :P

#14 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

I still await the day to see a Clan Ice Hellion unit, so we of Clan Goliath Scorpion may beat the crap out of them.

(Seriously...how come anyone has never done this?)

Edited by Will9761, 26 December 2015 - 11:07 PM.

#15 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

View PostEttibber, on 09 July 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

are there any ice hellion units running around?

Only one I'm aware of is an EU based unit:

http://icehellion.enjin.com/

Their ingame tag is HeLL.

Good hunting.

#16 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

i will dare any group of players to play ice hellion to lore

that means no heavy or assaults, just lights and meds since that's all they use in lore

#17 Red-Mattila

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostCzarr, on 27 December 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

that means no heavy or assaults, just lights and meds since that's all they use in lore

That's alright if they loose they just go to their signature move in the lore, which is to complain to the clan council. There's a reason their nickname is clan temper tantrum.

Edited by FM Red Legs, 27 December 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#18 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

Well a whole bunch of arctic cheetahs wouldn't be that bad... I'd watch that.

#19 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:44 PM

View PostCzarr, on 27 December 2015 - 12:04 AM, said:

Because light rushes and murders of storm crows aren't effective now?

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 30 December 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#20 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:42 AM

I hope someone makes an Ice Hellion unit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users