28 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

First off, I hope this is the right section for this. If not i apologize.

Clans see themselves as superior in ever way and they see the XL engine as superior in every way.

So, my thought is Clan Omni-Mech should All only be able to mount XLs. In traditional MW, that's all they put in them anyway. So while their weapons are more advanced in every way, their one true drawback is that they use XLs which makes them a bit more easy to take out for us Inner Sphere pilots.

Now on that note, the Clans had all their Omni-Mechs equipped to be able to carry in a point of Elemental body armor (5). All their Omni-Mech had attachment points so the 5 battle armor units could hitch a ride into battle.

So make this an expensive module and advanced version for Clan players. Once they spend the GXP and C-bills they can unlock the module that allows them to mount 5 Elementals to carry into battle. Make the Elementals a once a game use. Once the player detaches them, they act on their own as NPCs and attack any enemy mechs they come across. Make each Elemental take 3 damage to 5 damage with the advanced module upgrade to kill so they are not over powered and make their weapons only do like 1 to 2 points of damage. Not much I know but its a cool option for clan players to have.

Now because the Clan Omni-Mechs all have XL engines, make the 5 Elementals come carried on the mechs torso and back and if not released on the enemy, they can still act as additional 3 to 5 points of damage soakers lol. If I hit a clan mech in its left torso but a battle armor is still attached there, I either do 3 damage and kill the battle armor and the last 2 damage hits the side torso or if the mech has the advanced module equipped, that 5 damage is done to the battle armor killing it instead.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Why would anyone run a standard anyway?

Unless you have yourself a broken mech like Centurion, Clan XL engine always trumps a STD, since you have to destroy both side torsoes to kill the mech... and at that point, any non broken mech is dead, anyway. :D

#3 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

As far as I know Clan XL engines doesn't kill you when you lose a side torso, something that happens for IS ones. You just lose 33% of the internal engine DHSs, but some more TT informed guy will certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

#4 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostAdridos, on 14 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Why would anyone run a standard anyway?

Unless you have yourself a broken mech like Centurion, Clan XL engine always trumps a STD, since you have to destroy both side torsoes to kill the mech... and at that point, any non broken mech is dead, anyway. :D
um... No, clan mechs can still be taken out by losing one side of an XL. The only difference is their XLs only take up 2 crit slots in a side torso over the inner sphere XL at 3 crit slots. And Clan mech generally have more armor than a inner sphere mech. But while their second line mechs can mount either an XL or standard engine, the Clan Omni-Mechs all mount XLs.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 14 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#5 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

i think you have to destroy both side torsos to kill a clan XL.

in which case, might as well just go straight for CT.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 14 July 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

um... No, clan mechs can still be taken out by losing one side of an XL. The only difference is their XLs only take up 2 crit slots in a side torso over the inner sphere XL at 3 crit slots. And Clan mech generally have more armor than a inner sphere mech. But while their second line mechs can mount either an XL or standard engine, the Clan Omni-Mechs all mount XLs.

The TT rule is that you need to deal 3 crits to any engine to destroy it. Because an Inner Sphere XL is 3 crit slots per side, that means blowing up a side will blow up the engine. Since Clan XL is only 2 slots, that means blowing up a side only gives the engine 2 crits and therefore the Clan mech survives (needs 1 more crit to die).

Edited by FupDup, 14 July 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#7 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Why do I not remember that rule?

#8 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yeah clan XL has 2 slots not 3 in the side torso's so you still have to inflict 1 more engine hit after taking off a side.

#9 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostFupDup, on 14 July 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

The TT rule is that you need to deal 3 crits to any engine to destroy it. Because an Inner Sphere XL is 3 crit slots per side, that means blowing up a side will blow up the engine. Since Clan XL is only 2 slots, that means blowing up a side only gives the engine 2 crits and therefore the Clan mech survives (needs 1 more crit to die).
ok I got you. Thanks for that. But regardless, I still think the Elementals as a module would be cool.

#10 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostFupDup, on 14 July 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yup. This.

And Elementals? Really? You thought Spiders were a pain in the *** to target...

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

The only difference is their XLs only take up 2 crit slots in a side torso over the inner sphere XL at 3 crit slots.

That's the thing, pal. In order to kill the mech through engine destruction, you have to score 3 engine criticals... but when you destroy the side torso of a Clan omni, you only get 2 criticals. See where this is going?

Damn, I'm late to the party... :D

Edited by Adridos, 14 July 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#12 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostLauLiao, on 14 July 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Yup. This.

yeah we need combined arms in this game if its going to last. We may not get to be a armored infantry or a tank or a chopper, but at some point these things will need to be added as module assets to call in. Make this game more dynamic an give us the strategy aspect that we should get with CW or mech vs mech is going to get old.

View PostAdridos, on 14 July 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

That's the thing, pal. In order to kill the mech through engine destruction, you have to score 3 engine criticals... but when you destroy the side torso of a Clan omni, you only get 2 criticals. See where this is going?

Damn, I'm late to the party... :D
yeah I get it now. I forgot that you had to do 3 crits on an engine regardless. I just assumed you needed to kill that section in the side torso of any XL.

#13 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Here is another question. It TT if you took out that side torso of a clan mech with an XL, couldn't you still hit that same section and have damage then transfer to the center torso negating the armor all together?

#14 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

If you hit the destroyed side torso it goes on the CT armour it does not ignore that armour and go straight onto internals.

#15 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 14 July 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

If you hit the destroyed side torso it goes on the CT armour it does not ignore that armour and go straight onto internals.
ok thanks.

#16 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

For clan mechs I'd like them to only be able to use the canon variants. Would make for an interesting battle.

#17 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 14 July 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Spiders also move like the wind. Elementals top out under 35 kph.

#18 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

The big advantage to clan mechs is the fact they use less criticals. Endo and FF use only 7 crit slots a piece making it easy to take both for example. Less criticals for the XL engine also is a advantage due to their being a 33% less likelyhood of a crit taking out the engine (No clue if this will be the case in MWO).

Also most of the clan weapons either have better damage and/or better range. For example ER Medium lasers have the same range as standard LLs, and almost the same damage all for 1 ton each. Clan ER PPCs have the same heat as IS ER PPCs but do 15 damage vs 10 damage. Clan Pulse lasers have pretty much the same range as IS standard lasers.

However it is pretty obvious that eventually IS mechs will be mounting clan tech weapons since it is something supported in lore and obviously the easiest way to balance clan vs IS in MWO.

#19 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Opps forgot the other part of what I was going to say.

I absolutely don't want Elementals to be a consumable.

I absolutely want PLAYABLE Elementals.

It would be just awesome running and jumping around in a little 3m tall Elemental suit with my MG and small laser harassing the hell out of the enemy while trying not to take a PPC in the face and achieve instant death.

#20 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

You know what would be an even easier solution to balance Clan Tech?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users