Centurion Pilots, What's Your Missile Preference?

52 replies to this topic

#1 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

I currently have a Yen Lo Wang and I'm looking to get two more Centurions eventually. I was curious which missiles you prefer and why, LRMs, SRMs, or SSRMs?

#2 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Not use missiles.
I can be fast or with missiles, i choose fast.

#3 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Cents only have 10 missile tubes which restricts their LRM usage a bit since equipping LRM15 and LRM20 isn't a very good idea. Using streaks means that you have to invest in a BAP. Due to this 3 streaks is more cost efficient than just 2 so if you wanna go streaks, Cent-A is best. SRM's are good in all Cents.

#4 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Eerie - I was just about to start a thread on this.

I bought a Centurion to branch out a bit with mediums. It's the Centurion A, and I've got the 250 standard engine, the Endo + Ferro, the AC 10 + 2 medium lasers. It works... I guess... but I wonder if it's really what I'm supposed to be doing with a Centurion.

I've heard of the Zombie-Facehugger (3 SRM6s + 2 medium lasers), but the SRM nerf killed that. Any other thoughts on what works would be appreciated.

#5 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

The reason the zombie build is effective is a ghost hit-box issue. Once they figure out how to have damage transfer correctly (yeah, let's all hold our breath for anything positive to happen....), then the zombie will stop being considered an effective build.

#6 Peter von Schleier

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

I was very successful with the CN9-D, running it with 300 XL, AMS, double HS, endo and ferro armed with Gauss and 2 medium pulse lasers. Damage wise a beast, you really can hit and run with this one. 2.2 K/D with it in 100 games.

I wasnt sure at start if the xl would be bad for the survivability, but it turned out the extra tonnage was worth it and the speed was good enough to pull out when you run into trouble.

Only doing solo drops, no info on group viability from me.

Edited by Damien Banes, 14 July 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#7 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

You can make a "poor man's zombie Wang" out of CN9-A or CN9-D. Put in STD engine 250, AC20, 2 medium lasers, DHS and Ferro-Fibrous. It's a solid mech, but if you get caught with your pants down, the right arm is incredibly easy to shoot off. On the upside, you can still dish out some damage with 2 medium lasers in your CT. It's a nice mech when you want to soak loads of damage and still stay dangerous. If you learn to play well, you can soak a lot of damage with the left arm and left torso and lose absolutely no weaponry in the process.

SRM's, in their current state, are not that effective, so I would stay off of those builds until they get improved. LRM's are, in my opinion, just not the thing a Centurion is supposed to do. Better take something like Trebuchet if you want to use LRM's.

Could always make an energy weapon based build out of the CN9-AL, but not sure if that's so effective either (there are better mediums for that).

#8 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I still like SRMs in my Cent. Hopefully they'll get adjusted upwards soon, but until then I would call them "almost adequate". I think I prefer the mediocre SRMs over small LRMS launchers (that I fear will get completely negated by AMS)

#9 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have said this before, and I will say it again - Be different - Be original.
Run this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cca90fb26c2d321

(13 rear armour on the side torsoes for good luck - also yes the build is expensive to put together, but oh my is it fun to play)

Anyway this build is as canon as you can get while still being able to do well.
It is however heavily upgraded so consider it a Star League version of the original A :b
Oh also since most ppl hate having ammo in the legs - feel free to move it around as you please, I only put it there since I love it when ppl run around with ammo in the legs. (it makes it easier to kill them >:3...)

Edited by 0okami, 14 July 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#10 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postarghmace, on 14 July 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Cents only have 10 missile tubes which restricts their LRM usage a bit since equipping LRM15 and LRM20 isn't a very good idea. Using streaks means that you have to invest in a BAP. Due to this 3 streaks is more cost efficient than just 2 so if you wanna go streaks, Cent-A is best. SRM's are good in all Cents.

srm sux this days i play this:
CN9-A lrm support :)
and its work great as LRM support. Its FAST and this is easy positioning in fights 3xLRM10 with artemis is really nice tight punch into CT and core really fast, self tag and 1 ML just in case :) sure u cant spam all those missiles and need to chose ur target wisely but thats its not hard with this speed :0 works for me quite effective :)

#11 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

My CN9s are waiting for SRM buffs

they really lost their teeth when SRMs became suck

#12 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I prefer artemis srm 6. Streaks are fun on A with bap. I havent used lrm on one in awhile, srm/streak are just better for me as a zombie.

My go-to cent lately.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...633e20a37391da3

#13 CrunchTheRobot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

As far as missiles go, SRMs are what I prefer to use (usually 3x SRM6+A with 2x MLas). My current Cent is this, and I absolutely love it. It's probably my favourite 'Mech to use (and will be even better once SRMs are buffed).

I was dropping with it yesterday, and you can still do really good damage even with SRMs currently being at 1.5 damage per missile.
Spoiler

#14 JP Alpha

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

AL with XL275, 2LL, 2MLas, 2x Streaks with BAP, and topped off with plenty of heatsinks. lots of fun. Actually have done better though the the D with XL300, Gauss, 2MLas, 2x Streaks. that fit is light on ammo and can't fit BAP due to lack of crit space (I used endo and FF on that one). A is still fun with standard 275, 3x ASRM6, 2x MLas but not using that until they boost srm damage...

#15 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

My favorite non-Wang Centurion: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...330276e910991d5

I really tend to prefer streaks on my Centurions. I've tried Streaks, SRMs and LRMs, and just seem to have better luck with the Streaks.

One thing I really like about streaks is that they lock based on your arm reticule, and not your torso reticule. So as you are running around aiming your AC, your streaks are also acquiring lock. It's nice to be able to fling those 3 Streaks into someone along with your AC.

#16 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Not sure how effective it would be now because of the srm damage nerf and spread change but I used to run a CN9-D(?) with

AC/10
Med laser x2
SRM2 x 3

The SRM2s at the time had almost no spread so it was like having another AC/10. Pretty decent brawler.

#17 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Here: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d81b9c6a9af7897 and Here: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...96de29d8e303072 and Here: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77bf82e20e57e43
Anyone in their right mind doesn't waste space putting lrms on a cent. Nor do they put on streaks because those are light mech weapons and unless massively boated are weak as hell.

#18 Soldryn

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

1.) anyone who runs a "zombie cent" is a moron, you have ballistic slots for a reason.

2.) XL engines are JUST FINE in a centurion, the side torsos don't stick out near as much as a HBK's RT.

3.) LRM's are JUST FINE in a centurion, provided you PAY ATTENTION to things like the number of tubes. an LRM 20 w/ artemis is a great support weapon on my AL. ( ERPPC, 2xML, LRM20 w/art, TAG, 250 XL).

4.) SSRM's are GREAT in a CN9-A. ESPECIALLY with the artemis exploit for faster lock times that PGI has stated that they refuse to waste their time fixing. (AC/10, 2xML, 3xSSRM2, BAP, 250 XL).

5.) SRM's are still a respectable weapon system, even gimped as they currently are. If you want to go atlas brawler support, slow it down, and a CN9-A can carry all but 1 shotgun of the "dreaded shotgun DDC troll brawler" (LB10-X, 3xSRM6, 2xML, 200XL).

#19 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

SRM 4 has a seemingly tight spread, I use three. Also Artemis is pretty optional with srms. Also if you want to make use of the balistic spot on the Cn9-a, surpisngly the Lbx mixed with srms and xl engine can make you a good back stabber.

Edited by TehSBGX, 14 July 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#20 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

i have generally used my Cent's as light hunters and hit an run flankers, in that role SSRMs have been my weapon of choice. i'm not really fond of standard SRMs, though the A has a popular zombie build using 3 SRM 6. i recently saw an A running 2 LRM 15 with an LRM 10, which was kind of wierd, but with proper support it might work, though the A only has 10 tubes, so you'd be doing one volley of 30 and then a volley of 10.

this is my CN9-A
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12eff8d4ea6e945

the XL engine is a risk, but the speed is worth it with the AC10.

the AL might be a better fit for LRMs, even though it has fewer hardpoints, due to the ease of mounting TAG on the arm hardpoint along with a couple LLas (arm and torso) or a PPC and some MLas.

the D would be a good fit for standard SRMs and an AC of some sort with the D's bigger engine cap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users