Centurion Pilots, What's Your Missile Preference?

52 replies to this topic

#21 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:45 AM

2 Streak on my CN9-AL e 3 SRM4 on the CN9-A. LRMs are for my trebuchet.

#22 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

I dont run missles at all on my Cent.(S)SRM are doable but generally and especially concerning LRMs a jumpcapable TREB is a lot better at carrying missles in this weightclass.

#23 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

For the CN-9A, it's always 3xSRM-6. Ignore the guy who said ballistic-less Centurion pilots are morons, obviously. This particular 'mech is one of the few that 1) can spit out eighteen SRMs in a single volley, having three missile launchers with ten tubes each, 2) has the tonnage to make such a setup effective, and 3) is light enough to do this with respectable speed. Ignore the loadout in favor of others if you like, there's nothing wrong with that - just be aware that this loadout is one of the things that the CN-9A is *uniquely* good at. And most Centurion builds suffer gravely from the "can be done better with another 'mech" syndrome.

The COM-2D has three missile hardpoints, but two of them have only four tubes. So, everytime you fire with a 3xSRM-6 setup, you shoot one volley of 14 (6+4+4) missiles, then another of 4 (0+2+2). This spreads out your damage significantly. Plus, you don't even have the tonnage to make this setup work.

The QKD-4H also has three missile hardpoints, but while one of them has (a max of) ten tubes, the other two only have five and four. A single shot with a 3xSRM6 setup will fire one volley of 15 (6+5+4) missiles, then another of 3 (0+1+2). Unlike the commando, you DO have the tonnage available to create this configuration. But in reality, what happens if you put in three SRM-6s on a 4H is that you create one SRM-6, one virtual "SRM-5," one SRM-4, and then spend two full tons to create a virtual "SRM-3," which can NEVER be fired at the same time as the first three launchers. It's better to just have one SRM-6 and two SRM-4s; in this way you not only recover two tons, AND two critical spaces, you also launch all missiles together for more accuracy, which means higher damage per ton of ammo.

The TBT-7M has three missile hardpoints, but while two of them have more than enough tubes, the one in the left torso has ONE tube... So if you fire three SRM 6s, you will have a salvo of 13 (6+6+1), then FIVE consecutive salvos of one missile each(0+0+1)... Pretty much making the third SRM-6 a cosmetic novelty.

The CPLT-A1 can boat six SRM-6 launchers, and the CPLT-C4 can carry four. They do this with no tube-count drawbacks, and can also mount an XL engine for good agility without gaining any real degree of vulnerability, since the Catapult's side torsos are so small. It's really the only SRM-6 carrier that can outclass the CN-9A on that role, but it does come at a cost; Catapults' center torsos and cockpits are both crazy-easy to hit from multiple angles. The CN-9A's cockpit is big too (although not quite Catapult-big) but its CT is a pain in the *** to core if the pilot knows what he's doing. On top of that, Catapults' missile hardpoints are all located in high-mounted, oversized arm pods, making them easy to knock out. Both mechs are perfectly viable SRM-6 boats, so choosing one over the other is just a matter of selecting outright punch or survivability.

The JM-6A has 4 missile hardpoints, just like the CPLT-C4, but most of the same drawbacks as well. If I'm not mistaken, it is also notably less agile. I don't have much first-hand experience with Jagermechs, but I rarely see anyone boating SRM-6s on them, so I'm sure there's other drawbacks as well.

Then you have a number of assaults with enough missile hardpoints to run multi-SRM-6 loadouts as well. While some suffer from tube-counts just like the lighter 'mechs mentioned above(e.g., Pretty Baby, AWS-9M, VTR-9S), even the many that don't now suffer from being assaults. So although they can pack an even higher punch, they can no longer do so with any sort of grace. They also suffer from being targets of priority, whereas Centurions rarely are, unless they are Wangs.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 15 July 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#24 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostSoldryn, on 14 July 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

1.) anyone who runs a "zombie cent" is a moron, you have ballistic slots for a reason.

Anyone that thinks zombie builds and ballistic slots are mutually exclusive is a...

#25 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

I tried the A with 2x SRM4 and the typical M-Las and one AC, but it did not work that well... if you want to use more than 10 SRMs, you have to stay on target for a long time, which is not that easy for most players, so for me 2x SRM4 seems to be a good choice when they get buffed in the future:
Spread is good without Artemis, good firerate, does not take up so much tonnage(you can get a balanced build), easy to aim most of the time.
I would use the CN9-AL for an SRM build, cause i would not want to rely on more ammo based weapons.

For LRM support i tried this CN9-AL and it's been fun, but you won't get the topscores. It is a simple support mech :)

PS: right now I prefer a simple ballistic + 2x ML build over any rockets... rockets don't feel right with the low damage that reaches the enemy in fact ;)

#26 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Long time Centy pilot here. That's not to say I'm amazing just I have a lot of experience with the chassis. My preference overall is missiles on the centurion, yes they are borked atm but once fixed the centy will defiantely become my go to mech again. Typically the 3 SRM 6, 2 ML is the probably one of the most common builds, very effective overall but obviously with the missile issues is hurting now. I also like the CN9-AL with 1 LRM10 and 1 LRM 15. 1 LL and 2 ML. A bit slower but I have had great success with him sticking to 300m range with the LRM's. It's all opinion of course but to answer your question SRM 6's are probably the best bang for your buck with Centy's especially the CN9-A.

#27 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

I just started playing a 9AL this morning. The stock build is really quite effective, I found. Perhaps one of the best bone stock builds I've seen!

I've played around a bit with different configs. Adding DHS was a huge boon. So far, I'd say the most effective for my style of play has been one sporting a LRM-15 w/2t of ammo, SSRM2 w/1t ammo, a combination of MPL's and ML's (I think I have 3 ML's and 1 MPL at the moment), Beagle sensor suite and some extra DHS.

While it comes with max armor, it's still a medium. Standing off for awhile tossing LRM's to help soften up enemy units (or finish them off) and wading in at the end of the fight with the ML's and SSRM (for lights) works pretty well for me.

#28 bowlie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

SSRM. I run 3 Streaks, 1 AC 10 and 2ML with the largest XL engine my D(?) variant will hold

#29 Fallreaper

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Yesterdays SRM buff made my CN9-A shine again. Not that you can't really go wrong with this setup even before if you are a experienced Centurion pilot. 3x ASRM6 gives nice pinpoint damage and 2 ML for secondary fire.Melting faces with a blast! (pun intended)

#30 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Yeah, but yesterdays SSRM changes made my CN9-A garbage. I'd been running with an AC/10, 2 ML and 3 SSRMs, and now those SSRMs are all but useless. They spread so much across the target that they are bare'y worth the weight.

#31 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

1.) anyone who runs a "zombie cent" is a moron, you have ballistic slots for a reason.

2.) XL engines are JUST FINE in a centurion, the side torsos don't stick out near as much as a HBK's RT.

3.) LRM's are JUST FINE in a centurion, provided you PAY ATTENTION to things like the number of tubes. an LRM 20 w/ artemis is a great support weapon on my AL. ( ERPPC, 2xML, LRM20 w/art, TAG, 250 XL).

4.) SSRM's are GREAT in a CN9-A. ESPECIALLY with the artemis exploit for faster lock times that PGI has stated that they refuse to waste their time fixing. (AC/10, 2xML, 3xSSRM2, BAP, 250 XL).

5.) SRM's are still a respectable weapon system, even gimped as they currently are. If you want to go atlas brawler support, slow it down, and a CN9-A can carry all but 1 shotgun of the "dreaded shotgun DDC troll brawler" (LB10-X, 3xSRM6, 2xML, 200XL).

this guy has no clue what the hell he's talking about, otherwise SRMs wouldn't have been buffed and they wouldn't have acknowledged their horrendous hit detection issues. Also, if you're using a centurion for LRM support, almost every single mech medium class or higher does it better. disregard his post

Edited by Rasako, 17 July 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#32 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostRasako, on 17 July 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

Also, if you're using a centurion for LRM support, almost every single mech medium class or higher does it better. disregard his post

Funny, A LRM/ERPPC/MLAS toting AL seems to do just fine in med range fire support. Just spam the LRM's at anything in the open/soft targets and take good shots with the PPC at range. 3MLAS there for anything getting close, as is the PPC.

If you want to pure boat and/or jump, then go treb. But I own all of the trebs, and dislike every single one of them for some reason. The cent on the other hand, she's my go-to medium (beside my beloved 4P/4SP hunchies. They shall forever hold a place in my mechbay)

#33 Bluecricket

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Rasako is absolutely right, though. That post he quoted is full of terrible advice that no aspiring Centurion pilot should ever follow. XLs are suicide on Centurions due to their massive side torsos (but hey, if you accept that fate, go hog wild)

On topic: SSRMs are terrible again, SRMs are okay again, and you should not waste time with LRMs on a Centurion, as other 'mechs are better suited to that.

#34 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

With the recent missile changes I messed around with my Cent-A, and I'm quite happy.

I originally had an AC/10, 2 ML and 3 SSRMs. It was always a fairly decent loadout - the AC packed some punch, and the SSRMs were great against lights and helped finish off the big guys. The change in SSRM pathing borked that though, so I looked at other options.

I ended up swapping out the AC/10 and 3 SSRMs for an AC/2 and 3 ASRM4s. It's definitely packed a lot more punch this way. The AC/2 provides some nice dakka, which even if it isn't doing tons of damage, it makes people move out of the way. And up close, the ASRM4s and MLs really lay on the hurt. I find that I'm doing a lot more in terms of component destruction and killing blows than I was with the Streaks.

#35 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 18 July 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

It's definitely packed a lot more punch this way. The AC/2 provides some nice dakka, which even if it isn't doing tons of damage, it makes people move out of the way. And up close, the ASRM4s and MLs really lay on the hurt. I find that I'm doing a lot more in terms of component destruction and killing blows than I was with the Streaks.

This. I was playing my D last night, found the streaks sub par, but swapped out for an ASRM4, bound it to the ML's and had a great time killing. It was the most successful I think I've ever been with the D considering I don't choose to swap out engines from the XL. Soon as I'm done mastering it though, it's back to A and AL for me, with a nice SRM surprise in the torso's and standard engines. I prefer to be tough as hell, though, as a point of stupidity/pride I go after any enemy Cent I see on sight. There...can...only...be...one...Centurion.

#36 Voyager I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

2.) XL engines are JUST FINE in a centurion, the side torsos don't stick out near as much as a HBK's RT.

3.) LRM's are JUST FINE in a centurion, provided you PAY ATTENTION to things like the number of tubes. an LRM 20 w/ artemis is a great support weapon on my AL. ( ERPPC, 2xML, LRM20 w/art, TAG, 250 XL).

4.) SSRM's are GREAT in a CN9-A. ESPECIALLY with the artemis exploit for faster lock times that PGI has stated that they refuse to waste their time fixing. (AC/10, 2xML, 3xSSRM2, BAP, 250 XL).

5.) SRM's are still a respectable weapon system, even gimped as they currently are. If you want to go atlas brawler support, slow it down, and a CN9-A can carry all but 1 shotgun of the "dreaded shotgun DDC troll brawler" (LB10-X, 3xSRM6, 2xML, 200XL).

Your side torsos are smaller than the hunch that makes Hunchbacks borderline unusable against intelligent opponents, so therefore fitting a 200XL brawling Medium is a great idea! So is putting things you care about in your giant bullseye arm!

If you want to make an XL Centurion, do it on the 9D because it's the only one that can actually carry a big enough engine to be worth it. If you want to do LRMs, use a Trebuchet because they have a much better setup for it.

#37 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 15 July 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

For the CN-9A, it's always 3xSRM-6. Ignore the guy who said ballistic-less Centurion pilots are morons, obviously. This particular 'mech is one of the few that 1) can spit out eighteen SRMs in a single volley, having three missile launchers with ten tubes each, 2) has the tonnage to make such a setup effective, and 3) is light enough to do this with respectable speed. Ignore the loadout in favor of others if you like, there's nothing wrong with that - just be aware that this loadout is one of the things that the CN-9A is *uniquely* good at. And most Centurion builds suffer gravely from the "can be done better with another 'mech" syndrome.

The COM-2D has three missile hardpoints, but two of them have only four tubes. So, everytime you fire with a 3xSRM-6 setup, you shoot one volley of 14 (6+4+4) missiles, then another of 4 (0+2+2). This spreads out your damage significantly. Plus, you don't even have the tonnage to make this setup work.

The QKD-4H also has three missile hardpoints, but while one of them has (a max of) ten tubes, the other two only have five and four. A single shot with a 3xSRM6 setup will fire one volley of 15 (6+5+4) missiles, then another of 3 (0+1+2). Unlike the commando, you DO have the tonnage available to create this configuration. But in reality, what happens if you put in three SRM-6s on a 4H is that you create one SRM-6, one virtual "SRM-5," one SRM-4, and then spend two full tons to create a virtual "SRM-3," which can NEVER be fired at the same time as the first three launchers. It's better to just have one SRM-6 and two SRM-4s; in this way you not only recover two tons, AND two critical spaces, you also launch all missiles together for more accuracy, which means higher damage per ton of ammo.

The TBT-7M has three missile hardpoints, but while two of them have more than enough tubes, the one in the left torso has ONE tube... So if you fire three SRM 6s, you will have a salvo of 13 (6+6+1), then FIVE consecutive salvos of one missile each(0+0+1)... Pretty much making the third SRM-6 a cosmetic novelty.

The CPLT-A1 can boat six SRM-6 launchers, and the CPLT-C4 can carry four. They do this with no tube-count drawbacks, and can also mount an XL engine for good agility without gaining any real degree of vulnerability, since the Catapult's side torsos are so small. It's really the only SRM-6 carrier that can outclass the CN-9A on that role, but it does come at a cost; Catapults' center torsos and cockpits are both crazy-easy to hit from multiple angles. The CN-9A's cockpit is big too (although not quite Catapult-big) but its CT is a pain in the *** to core if the pilot knows what he's doing. On top of that, Catapults' missile hardpoints are all located in high-mounted, oversized arm pods, making them easy to knock out. Both mechs are perfectly viable SRM-6 boats, so choosing one over the other is just a matter of selecting outright punch or survivability.

The JM-6A has 4 missile hardpoints, just like the CPLT-C4, but most of the same drawbacks as well. If I'm not mistaken, it is also notably less agile. I don't have much first-hand experience with Jagermechs, but I rarely see anyone boating SRM-6s on them, so I'm sure there's other drawbacks as well.

Then you have a number of assaults with enough missile hardpoints to run multi-SRM-6 loadouts as well. While some suffer from tube-counts just like the lighter 'mechs mentioned above(e.g., Pretty Baby, AWS-9M, VTR-9S), even the many that don't now suffer from being assaults. So although they can pack an even higher punch, they can no longer do so with any sort of grace. They also suffer from being targets of priority, whereas Centurions rarely are, unless they are Wangs.

Although the CN9-AL doesn't have 3 srm monts 2 are totally sufficient with 4 medium lasers as backup. Also the jagermech-A is a wonderful srm boat. I shouldn't show these builds because they are going to spread like wildfire and be OP as **** just like the ac40 jager. But oh well here: Jager ac20 srm brawler
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3346e157013b0b8
Jager srm brawler
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...314deb8d1003e3c
Jager srm lbx brawler
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2ac3c2ae90d25e9
Extremely strong brawlers. Standard engines, massive firepower, backup weapons, ams, lots of armor, only drawback is range and for a brawler this is not a drawkback. With the ac20 you can tenderize them, them pepper them with srms, salt em with med lasers, then feast on their internals. By the way i really don't mind you guys running these builds but don't go say you thought them up. I have been running these on my Jager-A since release of the jager. Even with nerfed srms i stomped ac40 jagers. Now they are jokes. So use em and don't even give me credit just don't take credit for it yourself. YW - TANG

EDIT: Hey voyager the yen-lo with an xl 300 is better than any config on the 9d the 9d is the worst and i mean worst centurion. If i wanted to do 150 kph with barely any weapons i would run a light. and don't show the 2 medium laser 2 srm6 config with an xl 370 and say it works well because i tried it and will stick to my AL.

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 18 July 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#38 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostRakona, on 18 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

I prefer to be tough as hell, though, as a point of stupidity/pride I go after any enemy Cent I see on sight. There...can...only...be...one...Centurion.

Haha, I do this too... And I've noticed enemy Cents also get fixated on mine. Seems to be a common phenomenon :ph34r:

#39 BlackJackRaider

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThe nordic hinterland of the Midwest

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

SRMs on all of them. Standard A build is back to being a near wonder mech (275 std, 3xASRM6, 2 ML), the AL works as a more energy brawler (275 std, 2 MPL, 2 ML, 2xSRM4 or 4xML, 2xSRM6), and the D is better than ever with a big XL (350xl, 2 ML 2xASRM6).

Any of these builds would have been tore up in the sniper meta a week ago, but they're back to being great support builds.

#40 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

275std
3xSRM6
2xMedlasers.

That is a pretty fun build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users