Centurion Pilots, What's Your Missile Preference?

52 replies to this topic

#41 Voyager I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 18 July 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

EDIT: Hey voyager the yen-lo with an xl 300 is better than any config on the 9d the 9d is the worst and i mean worst centurion. If i wanted to do 150 kph with barely any weapons i would run a light. and don't show the 2 medium laser 2 srm6 config with an xl 370 and say it works well because i tried it and will stick to my AL.

The Wang is literally a Hunchback 4G that is even easier to neuter and makes a strong candidate for worst-in-class Medium. The scariest thing you could possibly bring for a backup armament after the arm goes is a single Large Laser. It is utterly terrible and its XL+AC/20 gimmick does not begin to make up for it.

#42 Polk738

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

LOL to the guy saying the D is the worst Cent. So you'd rather run slower in a Wang with less firepower after you lose that right arm? At least the D has missile slots that more than make up for any ballistics you carry in the arm. I do love taking on over-confident Wangs tho because once I blow off they're AC20 they usually run for the hills realizing all they have now is 2 ML's

#43 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af26c6d3e553f38

3ml, 1ll, srm4+6, std270. Simple, runs cool, fast, powerful, and can take a beating. 4+6 works best on the AL I find due to it maximizing the tubes.

Edited by Garfuncle, 27 July 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#44 Jeviati

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSitting on my dead mech

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

I personally run an almost totally stock CN9-AL. As a support mech (designed to be paired with a Trebuchet) the Centurions were never meant to be running out front, no matter what. I hang back, lobbing LRMs while keeping with the other LRM mechs to protect them. By the time my LRM tubes are dry, I am still sitting with most of my armor (if not all). Makes it easy to help whatever is left of my team by advancing and using my lasers (though I do trade the small laser for an extra heat sink).

Just keep in mind that unless you are in a YLW, you are a support mech. Even the D is a support mech in spite of the speed it can pour on. Play the Centurion as a support mech and you will sit pretty (assuming your team does not get paralyzed from the neck up, spread out, and generally try to be a hero. If you are with a team of heroes, then accept your eventual death with grace and as much damage done as you can get).

Edited by Jeviati, 10 August 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#45 lefty1117

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just played 3 awesome matches on a Cent-A with 3 x SRM6, 2 x ML, and for whatever reason I had replaced the AC/10 with a machine gun. The machine gun largely useless until i punched through armor with the lasers, but after that it was like pouring vinegar on an open wound. Nasty. I armored it up as much as I could, made sure I had CASE installed with as much ammo in that protected torso as I could fit. I am hardly an expert and am trying to follow the advice I've seen posted here, but just those few changes as well as remembering to turn away to the right to catch volleys with my left arm, has really turned around my perception of the A. At first I thought it was a gimped mech, not particularly good at anything, too "in the middle" to be really useful. Now it feels like an A-10 Thunderbolt in that it takes massive amounts of damage and still functions usefully. Finishing off a mech with no arms and the armor blown off of one of my legs is quite gratifying. Played conservatively (ie find the closest Atlas and stay near him) this is a heck of a fun mech to run.

#46 NineTails

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostMokou, on 14 July 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Not use missiles.
I can be fast or with missiles, i choose fast.

What about CN9-A isn't fast enough for you?

#47 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

I picked x2 LRM-5s. Why?
The LRM-10 is 5 Tonnes + Ammunition for it's multi-rockets amounts to about 6 or 7 tonnes if you want fire power and enough shots to boot.
With an LRM-5, which weighs in at 2 Tonnes each, I can save One ton of space for maybe extra armour or another ton of ammo or an extra Heat Sink. Does it make a difference? Probably not. Might it help me in the long run? Perhaps. I mean in addition to an extra ton of ammo I also have the option to: Fire both launchers at once, Fire one at a time or just Fire one to flush the guy out of hiding by tricking him he's going to be hailed by many, many potential rockets when in reality it's just Five.

Hey, maybe sometimes I'll go the route of the guy way above in the comments and just keep the LRM-5 with One or Two Tonnes of Ammunition and use the saved weight to go get a bigger engine, or fill in that paper thin armour. I 'unno, just something I do.

#48 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

I love the Cent-D! Treb-3C cant match the durability, however can have more weps. However, the Wang and Cent-A are still great and in my bay! I sell mechs after I basic them and only keep 1 or 2, the Cent and Catapult have all 3 and not been sold yet. Yet im getting close to the Catapults.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 22 August 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#49 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostBrenden, on 22 August 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

I picked x2 LRM-5s. Why?
The LRM-10 is 5 Tonnes + Ammunition for it's multi-rockets amounts to about 6 or 7 tonnes if you want fire power and enough shots to boot.
With an LRM-5, which weighs in at 2 Tonnes each, I can save One ton of space for maybe extra armour or another ton of ammo or an extra Heat Sink. Does it make a difference? Probably not. Might it help me in the long run? Perhaps. I mean in addition to an extra ton of ammo I also have the option to: Fire both launchers at once, Fire one at a time or just Fire one to flush the guy out of hiding by tricking him he's going to be hailed by many, many potential rockets when in reality it's just Five.

Hey, maybe sometimes I'll go the route of the guy way above in the comments and just keep the LRM-5 with One or Two Tonnes of Ammunition and use the saved weight to go get a bigger engine, or fill in that paper thin armour. I 'unno, just something I do.

I used two LRM 5s for awhile with my Cent-AL. It's better than a single LRM 10, no exceptions.

#50 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostNineTails, on 22 August 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

What about CN9-A isn't fast enough for you?

I prefer have some weapon it RA.

#51 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

Well, 3x SRM6 offers really good "Splat!" damage to juicy rear torsos. But, I prefer 3x SRM4+Artemis, for slightly more accuracy and ammo conservation.

#52 _demir

• PipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

I've been playing cents for a while now, mastered them all and I find I like SRM4 the most.

It has a tighter pattern than the SRM6 right out of the launcher, so more of your missiles land and with artemis it's even better.

I run mine with ac2, 2 mlas, 3 srm4+ artemis + 275xl

There's builds with the LBx10, 2 mlas and 3 srm6 that can really brawl, but they are just too slow imo. Firepower doesn't help if you're slow and easy to hit rocking an xl.

Added, I like to have the ability to reach out and touch someone and reposition quickly.

Edited by demir, 12 September 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#53 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

2 SRM4 without Artemis and with a bit of extra ammo to zombie with them

After mastering my cents I only kept this strongly optimized one (although I liked the AL as well):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fc9a108ebc0cfff

Edited by Autobot9000, 12 September 2013 - 02:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users