What Benefits Will Dx11 Give Us?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

In the latest ask the devs they mentioned that DX11 support is ready for test. What type of benefits will this bring us? I know most of us are running DX11 cards pushing through the game in DX9. Currently I have a Radeon 6870 and I run in High settings in the 35-45 fps range.

Will i get a better frame rate potentially being able to go up to very high on my graphics settings at a playable frame rate?

Will the game on high settings look better, but run at about the same fps?

#2 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

think of this game looking like Crysis 3 when it get the DX11 high texture mods

and GPU power will become a factor with DX11

#3 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

The primary benefit will be greater performance and a shift of the bottlneck. Most of us have beefier GPUs than CPUs, that being the nature of gaming machines, and DX11 removes the CPUs involvement in a lot of rendering tasks, allowing your GPU to run as fast as it can without being held back. DX11 is also just more efficient in general, so it can render the same graphics much faster. I've seen some games show dramatic differences from the introduction of DX11, STO being the best example I know of at a reported 40% performance gain just from the API switch.

Whether that goes to nicer looking gameplay or higher FPS should end up being at least partly under control of the user, though things like destructible terrain will probably eat up at least part of it.

Edited by Catamount, 14 July 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#4 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Unless the game is altered to take advantage of the new features DX11 offers, there will be no difference.

#5 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Tesselation... enough said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users