Gameplay Balance Forum: Merge With Comstar Focus Group

Answered

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Do we really need Comstar Focus Group and Gameplay Balance? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Two sub-forums or one?

1. Merge them! (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Merge them and sticky major topics. (1 votes [33.33%])

3. We need less forum fracture overall! (1 votes [33.33%])

4. No! They are more informative seperate. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (Explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Lately I've noticed that most hot button issues get pushed into Comstar Focus Group, and away from Gameplay Balance, where they won't been by a number of people.

Really, there's no reason to have these as separate sub-forums, except to stifle conversation. Why not move the ComStar Focus Group threads over to this sub-forum and then sticky them? They honestly look completely hidden sitting in a less popular forum, which many believe is by design. It'd be nice to prove that theory wrong and merge these sub-forums.

#2 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

I think the idea of the Focus Group is to put Hot Topics, particularly replies to Dev-made threads in Announcements or Game Chair to a place where everyone can see them.
But I don't think it's working well.

And the problem with Gameplay Balance is that it's the General Discussion + Gameplay Balance forums in reality.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 15 July 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

And the problem with Gameplay Balance is that it's the General Discussion + Gameplay Balance forums in reality.

It is not!

And I'm sick if people acting like it is. A good chunk of the threads created in GB are moved out of it by the moderators team. This is no fun for us, and we will not accept, that some users believe they could force their believe, on how these forums should be run, on us.

As such... this thread is moved out as well as it belongs in Website&Forum.

Edited by Egomane, 15 July 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#4 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostEgomane, on 15 July 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

It is not!

And I'm sick if people acting like it is. A good chunk of the threads created in GB are moved out of it by the moderators team. This is no fun for us, and we will not accept, that some users believe they could force their believe, on how these forums should be run, on us.

As such... this thread is moved out as well as it belongs in Website&Forum.

You can feel free to be sick of how people are acting, but it doesn't change how they act. I am not proscribing here, I am describing what is going on.

I know very well that the Game Balance forums are supposed to be about Game Balance, but I see new threads started there every day that aren't about Game Balance. People want a "go-to" forum for whatever discussions they have in mind, often not eve knowing which topic they'd really fit, and so they use one of the first available - which is Gameplay Balance. It might also be related to the traffic they see happening in that forum - no one likes to post his thread in a rarely frequented subforum.

You used to have a General Discussion forum, it was used for stuff like this.

The smartest approach to problems like this I've seen is using a tagging system and create "virtual" subforums. You have a big General Discussion forum, but every thread starter (and any mod) can choose to add a tag to a new thread. The tags are predefined and also appear listed as subforums, and you can, from the forum start page, also go to see only threads with the tag.

I know the forum I have in mind also uses vBulletin. Not sure what kind of mods or version it requres.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 15 July 2013 - 04:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users