• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationsomewhere in space

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

hi,

i was just reading in the forums when i came about a thing thats something quite annoying for me for quite some time : the huge signatures (means clan-pic, the "we rock the house"-line, the rest). i checked a normal thread and came to nearly 30% of the page (depending on the number of lines written) which are nothing but signatures. i see the reason for them but when i have to scroll and scroll just to get on in the thread (30% means every 3rd page is _nothing_ but signature stuff) its a bit annoying.
why not limit them to a normal banner size (like f.e. 3cm) and with the (already existing) possibility to make that one link to the page or info of the clan ? i doubt that players would miss a lot but it would put an end to ....well let´s call it "sig-spamming". i didnt check if there´s ANY limitation on the max numbers of the signature-lines but there must be some limitation.

cheers,

durruti

ps : no, thats not me trying to ruin the whole community, to get censorship into the forum or any form of "atheistic european naziism".....just a suggestion to get rid of the pain in my scroll-wheel-finger :(

#2 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 16 July 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Signatures are currently limited to 1 image, 4 lines, and 1 url.
What you are seeing is likely a player adding text to the body of their post to seem like a longer signature.

How is the "4 lines" calculated?

It seems to be by the length of the entire string rather than by the number of lines of text that would be displayed as I have had situations where using a URL shortener for a link would allow a sig which was otherwise rejected.

And if it is based on the number lines, at what resolution (obviously a single line in a high resolution could cover multiple lines in a low resolution)?

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostJestun, on 11 August 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

How is the "4 lines" calculated?

It seems to be by the length of the entire string rather than by the number of lines of text that would be displayed as I have had situations where using a URL shortener for a link would allow a sig which was otherwise rejected.

And if it is based on the number lines, at what resolution (obviously a single line in a high resolution could cover multiple lines in a low resolution)?

Four lines of code. If you switch to the editing mode you can see all the forum code jabber, you cannot exceed four full lines of that. Images are handled separately (to a maximum dimension of 720x80) but the image tag, URL, and any hyperlinks (f applicable) count towards your four lines of forum code.

#4 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 11 August 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Four lines of code. If you switch to the editing mode you can see all the forum code jabber, you cannot exceed four full lines of that. Images are handled separately (to a maximum dimension of 720x80) but the image tag, URL, and any hyperlinks (f applicable) count towards your four lines of forum code.

So... the string length, like I said.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that different resolutions resulted in slightly different line wrapping, leading to a somewhat variable number of lines. Test time!

I'm able to enter over 1000 characters(with no apparant limit) of text as a signature provided there are no spaces or linebreaks. I can enter the same 1000 characters if it is broken up by three spaces or linebreaks(four discrete paragraphs), and the same number of characters with four linebreaks (five discrete paragraphs) is unacceptable.

This could provide a theoretically infinite signature if you can do it without linebreaks (the excess runs horizontally off the right of the screen).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users