Joystick

9 replies to this topic

#1 GodzWrath

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm sorry but i'm having a devil of a time trying to hook up my Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X joystick. I have tried everything I can think of for setting it up including mapping the joystick to keys. Is there any special way to set up joysticks, a list of supported joysticks, or a guide of sorts on how to map a joystick to keys?

#2 Kanya Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

I'm using CH Products stuff, and the control manager seems to be the way to go for dialing in sensitivity. I've read elsewhere on the forums that Thrustmasters "Target" software is even better. If you're not using that, you should give it a try! Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

#3 GodzWrath

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

So I got the joystick to be responsive and usable in game HOWEVER it does not fully function. The key mapping wont allow me to use the x/y/or z axes for both turning movements. For example for turning right i use the Rot of Z axes but i cannot also use this for turning left and so i can only turn right regardless of the direction I turn the joystick, I've run into the same thing with my thruster where I can either be able to go in reverse or forward regardless or which direction I push it. Is there a solution to this problem or is it still a WIP?

#4 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

The key mapping wont allow me to use the x/y/or z axes for both turning movements

You need to bind analog axes in the third column of your controls menu, and you need to scroll to the bottom before you can access the analog inputs in which you need to bind them to.

#5 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

notice your post was moved and not even commented on?thats the state of joystick support.

#6 Geebus55

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Ok, I'm using a Sidewinder Precision 2 and 2 of the joystick functions are reversed. What should be the torso twist is now the steering and vice versa. I've searched and haven't found an answer. I've tried to work with it but its just too spastic, I got thousands and thousands of hours using it in the normal config. It's like when I tried to play bass lefthanded, spastic and un-natural.

Anyone got a way to switch them around? :)

Edited by Geebus55, 23 July 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#7 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

try setting them in the lower section of the joystick options where it says analog turn. if you made a user.cfg maybe remove the commands that have 'invert' in them.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostGeebus55, on 23 July 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

Ok, I'm using a Sidewinder Precision 2 and 2 of the joystick functions are reversed. What should be the torso twist is now the steering and vice versa. I've searched and haven't found an answer. I've tried to work with it but its just too spastic, I got thousands and thousands of hours using it in the normal config. It's like when I tried to play bass lefthanded, spastic and un-natural.

Anyone got a way to switch them around? :(

Joy2key <-- google it

#9 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Joy2key <-- google it

Definitely emulator is the way to go. You should reset your controls to default first regardless of whether you use emulator or native mapping. Once they are mis-mapped it's just easier to reset to default and start clean, just don't forget to uncheck armlock and all the other settings too...

Emulator gives you much better control (and the crucial ability to set the y axis a little less sensitive than the x axis which I feel is vital). Another added benefit of mouse emulation now is being able to quickly adjust your stick sensitivity by moving the mouse slider in the client menu once you have your emulator settings dialed.

http://atzitznet.no-ip.org/Joy2Mouse3/
http://www.deinmeister.de/jmt_e.htm

Another option is just to use a T16000M (20-$40) which is TARGET capable, which is a very comprehensive and easy to use emulator among other things, and there's already decent scripts floating around for those too. Cheap stick, super precise, TARGET capable, super flexible, and can be used as a lefty.

#10 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

My App UJR will allow you to remap the axes and assign per-axis sensitivity, inverts, deadzones etc, but if running a 64-bit OS, you would need to enter Test Mode.

If you want to use a stick for aiming though, you would be much better off with Joy2Key, as mouse emulation would provide absolute aiming instead of relative.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users