The Ost Series: Ostscout, Ostroc And Ostsol (Re-Design And Concept Page)

23 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

Out of all the Unseen, I think it safe to say, the OST series gets the least love.

I tackled the OstScout last year
Posted Image

(Concept for the OSTSOL)
Posted Image

So many elements are there, and I added big shoulders tot he arms, as in fluff, the primary use of the arms by most pilots was to soak damage. So a Smallish torso, and big arms seemed logical.

That said.... I dunno if it's an Ostroc. ;)

v 2.0 added (not bad (for me) to crank out 3 sketches in an hour. Kinda nice to have my roommate gone for the day so I can bloody well think)
Posted Image
More pod, less brick.

*original Ostroc concept... that just wasn't Ostroc-y enough. That's OK< it'll live on as something else, something......
Posted Image
like........
so....had a moment of "inspiration" and modified my v1 to something else entirely.
Posted Image

I was thinking for my RIFTS Chaos Earth campaign, as a "Frankenmech" built off of the North American Alliance's smaller robot suits that had been scrapped in the defense of Atlanta, it was kitbashed back to life at the remains of an old USAF base, taking the .50 caliber "Ma Deuce" machines guns from old HMMV vehicles (Loaded with frangible bullets composed of a mix of DU and Silver Nitrite Fragments), and bolting a GAU-8 Avenger Rotary Cannon under each arm, each with a 1500 rd drum.
Over the shoulder is 4 TOW Missiles with upgraded payloads, and smoke launchers on the left breast. Above the MGs are a pair of heavy Particle Cannons. And the "grill" in the center torso hides a Plasma Projector, for combating creatures vulnerable to fire. Concealed in each forearm are Chainswords.

The "Dalek" over the right shoulder has been reprogrammed to auto-track small flying creatures above the unit, and to lay down silver tipped suppression fire.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 July 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#2 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Being a long time fan of the Ostroc, my very first thought when I saw this was its a Nova Cat as far as the overall profile.
It needs to be a pod on legs for it to be an Ostroc. I'm eager to see this progress. ;)

#3 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 17 July 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

It needs to be a pod on legs for it to be an Ostroc. I'm eager to see this progress. ;)

Me too, It's like an UrbanMech that is even more ridiculous but actually playable. I believe the Ost-series has to be inspired by this:

Posted Image

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

bump for added art

#5 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

This is something that has always bothered me about the Ost series; the whole "walker pod" thing. They are supposed to have a resemblance to the Stalker and Marauder, so there should be some sort of horizontal emphasis to the chassis, or a distinct differentiation between torso and legs. But that is nowhere to be seen in any iteration of the artwork. Not even the Ostwar. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to re-imagine the Osts this way without turning them into a completely different mech.

Mister Steiner, prove me wrong!

Please?

Edit: Version 2 is indeed more pod-like. Is good!

Edited by BarHaid, 17 July 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 17 July 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

This is something that has always bothered me about the Ost series; the whole "walker pod" thing. They are supposed to have a resemblance to the Stalker and Marauder, so there should be some sort of horizontal emphasis to the chassis, or a distinct differentiation between torso and legs. But that is nowhere to be seen in any iteration of the artwork. Not even the Ostwar. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to re-imagine the Osts this way without turning them into a completely different mech.

Mister Steiner, prove me wrong!

Please?

don't remember them being in the Stalker/MAD family, TBH.

I always thought they were vertical pods.

But then, They also claim the Falconer was based off the Orion Chassis (despite looking like a ugly Marauder) and that the Bandersnatch was based off the MAD chassis, despite being totally vertical (though it works a little more better with the reseen MAD)

#7 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 July 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

don't remember them being in the Stalker/MAD family, TBH.

I always thought they were vertical pods.

But then, They also claim the Falconer was based off the Orion Chassis (despite looking like a ugly Marauder) and that the Bandersnatch was based off the MAD chassis, despite being totally vertical (though it works a little more better with the reseen MAD)

The walker pod thing is Ostroc fluff from TRO3025.

#8 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

That Ostroc looks more like a Mongoose on 'roids.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 17 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

The walker pod thing is Ostroc fluff from TRO3025.

yes, I know they are referred to as walker Pods, but that doesn't mean they have to be similar to the Stalker, etc. The Officers Battlepod, and the normal Battlepods were both "pods" but still radically different.

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 17 July 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

That Ostroc looks more like a Mongoose on 'roids.

well since the standard art for the mongoose is another pod, yeah, I could see that.

#10 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

That's a funny thing ( I don't funny as in laughable comedy; I mean it as in peculiar sort of way) about creativity. Take writing for instance, starting off with a that comes out wrong then takes shape into something more adventrous rather than benign. Every thing takes its shape from the process. From what I can see, this looks way too awesome for expression, and I love it. Keep it coming. You'll know when you've got it! and what it will be. Hell, watch Shakerspeare In Love some time, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

View Posthawk819, on 17 July 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

That's a funny thing ( I don't funny as in laughable comedy; I mean it as in peculiar sort of way) about creativity. Take writing for instance, starting off with a that comes out wrong then takes shape into something more adventrous rather than benign. Every thing takes its shape from the process. From what I can see, this looks way too awesome for expression, and I love it. Keep it coming. You'll know when you've got it! and what it will be. Hell, watch Shakerspeare In Love some time, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

might be the first time I have seen Shakespeare in Love and Battletech in the same concept.........

#12 Enervation

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 161 posts
  • LocationD/FW, Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 July 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Posted Image

Holy crap that's sexy, like in a 'hot girl who drives a tuner car' sort of way.

This should be named the SUTMM-1X Shut Up and Take My Money.

#13 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

You know I just had a question come to mind other than the upgrade from AMS to LAMS, is there any other upgrade to anti-missile system in TT? something along the lines of an improved AMS or LAMS?
I'm asking because the only thing that came to mind to me on the kit bash was: "Damn that's nice, but that AMS needs to be more beefy. It looks like a toy compared to those 30mm death cannons.
If not, could you try a bigger AMS not just in size, but add some extra detail on it, please?
If you don't want to, then I don't blame you man, thanks for the kick-a** art, one could only dream of the abilities you hold.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 17 July 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

You know I just had a question come to mind other than the upgrade from AMS to LAMS, is there any other upgrade to anti-missile system in TT? something along the lines of an improved AMS or LAMS?
I'm asking because the only thing that came to mind to me on the kit bash was: "Damn that's nice, but that AMS needs to be more beefy. It looks like a toy compared to those 30mm death cannons.
If not, could you try a bigger AMS not just in size, but add some extra detail on it, please?
If you don't want to, then I don't blame you man, thanks for the kick-a** art, one could only dream of the abilities you hold.

yeah. Well it started as a 16 meter tall Ostroc. Sooooooo....... I suppose the AMS is for shooting down remote control airplanes and is fed 22 ammo?

I will beef the dalek when I kick this sinus infection and muster the energy to draw more.

#15 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I had to look up the Ostroc on Sarna, had never heard of one before. That being said, version 2 looks more like an Ost-thing in that it has curves, like an oval not the other kind.

Version 1 looks neat, but I don't see that much resemblance to the Ostroc. It has the mid torso of a Jager, the upper torso of a hunchless hunchback and legs from somewhere. (It's a new frankenmech?) Something about it doesn't say battletech/mechwarrior to me, it's almost too realistic, like it's a mech design that would work in the real world. To me most battletech designs have this inherent silliness or goofiness to them where you're pretty sure they wouldn't work in the real world. (I blame the '80s.) I could see it fitting in some other mech game/franchise (specifics elude me) though.

I now want gatling barrels to replace my Cataphract 4X's barrels.

#16 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Never understood why FASA did not give the Ostscout a hand in the left arm.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 17 July 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Never understood why FASA did not give the Ostscout a hand in the left arm.

my Project Phoenix era "NightScout" has 2 hands.

#18 JEB8753

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

dude i love your drawings theyre amazing

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

bumped for content

#20 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

I really like the Ostscout here. I say we start a save the OstMech campaign. I am also not sure if these are even truly considered unseen, I think they got kicked to regular status at some point.

Maybe to a pack or something...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users