Macbook Pro Upgrades

5 replies to this topic

#1 jrsfiend3

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hi!

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. I know there are probably answers to these sorts of questions already. . .however, after having not enjoyed the ~17fps I had in MWO, today I upgraded to a sata-3 6gbps ssd drive. MWO is now downloading. I have the latest drivers from Intel for my onboard hd 4000.

Will the ssd help me atall? My machine is much happier, having reduced boot times from 37s for Mac to 7s and 45+s for Windows down to 9s. I'm hoping it does help my fps. I am next week ordering online 16gb of 1600mhz cl9 ram, which is a hefty upgrade from 4gb 1600mhz cl11. Should I expect any measurable improvement?

Is my bottleneck really the graphics card? Might have to build me a good ol'fashioned Windows machine, because I outright -love- this game.

Thoughts?

#2 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

yes sadly Intel GMA HD4000 will not run this game

period

you will need at least Geforce GT650 but even your fps will not be good

Edited by Dragoon20005, 17 July 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#3 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yeah it's not going to happen, and the SSD swap, while AWESOME in a macbook pro (remember, macbook pros are sata 3 for the hd, sata 2 for the optical drive - if you replaced the optical drive with an SSD put the slower drive on the SATA connector for the optical drive) - but will not do anything to help your FPS

#4 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Save some money and just buy a Sager the next time you want a gaming Laptop it's less expensive and most of them WILL run MW:O. Apple was never a company focused on Gamers - for them, gamers were too niche for their products, products targeted at the beautiful people and artists for whom it was an accessory or an, umm, art tool. Typhoon was a pretty cool Apple game, but, meh. Frankly, the Mac product are rather limited, not to mention expensive, compared to a modern Windows 7/8 machine at half to 1/3 the cost.

BTW, the SSD has nothing to do with the way you can play a game once the game is loaded, your CPU and GPU will be the limiting factors then.

#5 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 17 July 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

yes sadly Intel GMA HD4000 will not run this game.
you will need at least Geforce GT650 but even your fps will not be good
I too intend to use such a MacBook and it has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M / Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 1 GB GDDR5 !

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

If you're getting 17 fps I'm assuming you have the retina model with the GT650. You should see if you're running into throttling issues due to heat generation while playing. If so you can probably improve FPS with a cooling pad. If you aren't running into cooling problems then you can try overclocking you GPU if possible and squeeze a few more FPS out that way.

If you only have the HD4000 on the other hand... I don't know... faster RAM would help if the machine could accept it. If it can't, buy a missile boat since FPS doesn't matter too much when all you need to do is move the reticule over the square.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users