Long Range Medium Mech For A Begginer?

50 replies to this topic

#1 Alantan

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hello evryone, first post.

So i have been playing this game for like 4 days now, made some money and bought my first mech, im not a 100% ****** and always before i buy something i do tons of reading and look for some opinions.
Im new with mwo, most of time i feel lost, but i always try to contribute to the team and do some dmg. I have lots of experience from wot, so yeah online shooters with a tactical smell aren't something new for me.

80% of ppl recommended to me Hunchback 4sp as the best first Mech, and yeah its good when ill flank someone, and he is busy with my team. But usually i get focused down and die fast as hell, while doing like 100 dmg.

So Hunchie is fun, i like the SRM's, but i feel like im too fresh to play close combat and need more time before i can play that mech effectively. are there any long range meds that arent total crap?

On yt videos ppl recommended Centurion A, and i see it has nice combo of AC10 with nice range and can be combined with 3srm's but the AL version has like more armour and better heat eff, i saw a guy running it with 2 ppc's 2 ml and 2 srm's and he did decent in that game.
On 4chan mwo thread ppl recommended me Trebuchet and Blackjacks, but well they did recommend me laser versions and lrm, it might be just me being noob as hell but i would like some cannons, im not a big fan of lazors, and the lrm seems to make **** dmg when i tried them on catapult.

tl;dr: Im fresh at hell at this game, but did some reading could you please recommend me a nice long range medium mech?

#Edit: Quick update, made new acc: CitrusVomit, this time i bought Centurion Al, and with erPPC, and LL, im finally having fun.

Edited by Alantan, 23 July 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#2 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

You have a few options for long range. Direct fire or LRMs.

Personally, I would recommend a Hunchback 4SP with dual ALRM5s and TAG. This works well as both a long range fire support platform and a medium range support platform. The Hunchback will also give you a superb brawling mech should you ever change gears. This is a very noob friendly mech.

Another option would be the Black Jack. It might not be as noob friendly but it can pack a punch and get around. The BJ-3 is goof for pop tarting or navigating over obstacles with it's JJs while the BJ-1X can take advantage of a larger engine size for various different builds. Don't count out the ballistic variants, though. Unlike the Hunchback they lack the massive hunch as a liability.

Centenarians are also a good way to go. The AL can work well as either large laser or PPC platform.

Heck even the Cicada can be made to work.

Edited by Raso, 19 July 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Give PPCs a try. They have the range and pin-point damage of a ballistic weapon but can be fitted to an energy hardpoint. If you have a Hunchback, try putting a pair of PPCs in the arms for a wholly different type of mech! Then if you find yourself enjoying longer range weaponry, you can start window shopping for a mech better suited to such ranges.

#4 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

all the suggestions are good and valid, i'm just want to add getting a cent is risky as a new player because experienced players will always go to shoot off your right arm and that takes a big chunk of your firepower away (but it teaches you how to use your "dead arm" to soak up shots).

blackjacks are fun but also limit you role-wise. in other words, if you get bored and want to change your mech up, you cant do it very well with the blackjack.

hunchback 4sp is great starter (i started with it myself). you can try missiles or energy for your long range combat, and you have one of the most armored medium mechs so you dont die as easily (and your hardpoints are symmetrical so enemies cant focus you either)

#5 Alantan

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, i know my original post might have sound some anarchic :P I don't really like how the LRM works in this game, i feel like most of it don't even hit the target, but well i didn't use it with the artemis system, hec actually i have no idea what it does but i guess its an upgrade to missile accuracy, right? Also i have the feeling like i do most of my dmg in the 4sp with my SRMs, so i feel like switching to LRM would downgrade it.

I might try my hunch with PPC but could you throw me a build? Wherever i look ppl just say to use 4sp with 4ML and 2 SRM, i even got chided for asking if there is any long range build for it lol.

If no i actually like the Cent idea more than BJ and the rest of meds, because of their universality, and well if they shoot my arm off i always have 2 ML and SRMs, right?.
But, which one is more suited for long range? i don't have infinite money, and my cadet bonus just died out.
AL with PPC, or A with AC?

Edited by Alantan, 19 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#6 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

hunch with ppc needs double heat sinks and two er ppcs
LA: erppc, dhs
RA: erppc, dhs
LT/RT: srm4 +artemis (or regular srm 6 ot srm 4...really up to you here)
2 tons of srm ammo
one more ton of ammo or medium laser in head

1.05 heat eff. 41 damage alpha.

you could also take the med laser out and get ams. but er ppcs outrange lrms. regular ppcs are ok but they have a min range of 90m meaning if anything gets close you cant hurt it except with ammo dependent weapons or med laser

Edited by WarMonkey14, 19 July 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#7 Roosterfish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I run a arty support Hunchie 4J 2xArtLRM 10, 6 slas, and a Std 200 engine.

In a good pug game I get to empty my LRM ammo bins and then go all Hunchie with the Slas.

#8 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Don't forget the Trebuchets. Most are LRM mechs except for the 7K, but they all come with a faster engine out of the box than the blackjack, cent, or hunch. In my experience, they aren't a bad choice to run XL engines on either.

#9 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

The Cent-D if you can afford it. 2 AC2 with 450 Ammo and 2 Medlaser, AMS, BAP and xl 300/107kph for fast Positioning.

With this Build, you are surley not the biggest Dammagedealer on Earth, but you can do nice Longrange Firesupport, Flanking, Harassing and some Scoutsupport. Imho :(

The Cent-A if you are try the Sniperway, Gauss with 30 Ammo, 2 MedLaser, AMS, BAP, and Xl 275.

Or with AC5, 90 Ammo, 2 SSRM, 200 Ammo, 2 MedPLasers, AMS, BAP, and XL 275 as a good Longrange Support Buildt with good Defense against Ligths.

Edited by Revorn, 21 July 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#10 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

Something like this?

Hbk 4SP
2x LRM5
2x PPC
2x MedLsr
210 std engine

My guess is that it runs kinda hot, i tried a couple of games but i only got snow maps XD
It is very slow for a Hunchback 76 Km/h

#11 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

The 4SP is fine for long range. You don't need a new mech. I am assuming you are still sticking with your 200std engine.

4SP 2xLRM10 4xML TAG DHSx13 (Works long and short range)

4SP 2xPPC 3xSL DHSx16 (2 PPC main weapons, backup small lasers. No endo)

4SP 2xLL 3xML DHSx18 (Cooler version. Can replace LL with ER LL if you really want range. ML for backup)

4SP ERPPC LRM15 DHSx16 (If you want to try both PPC and LRMs, you can go with this, but most people will think this one is bad).

If you really want to LRM you can go with 2 LRM15s but not much room for anything else.

If you really don't like those then we can just go with the Centurion A. Here's a quick starting build that will get you into the long-range fight right away but it won't be anywhere near as good in close range. It still has 3 missile hardpoints so you can go 3x SRM6 later if you dislike long range.

CND-A 1x Gauss 1xLL (You cannot really have more than 1 big ballistic weapon on a medium)

You can also be a mobile gauss rifle platform if you want but you'll need an XL engine to make it work.

CND-A 1xGauss 2xML 89kph

Edited by Elizander, 21 July 2013 - 04:28 AM.

#12 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Personally speaking the BJ-1 is a solid range mech all around: it has 1 Energy and 1 Ballistic point in each arm - and its arms are set up level with the cockpit so if you can see a mech you can usually shoot at a mech with none of that annoying 'fired into the hill cause my weapon was set too low on my body' crap. Jump capable and with a 225 engine can get up to a reasonable 81kph.

For the longest time I had 2 ER ppc , 225 and four jump jets on mine but with the chassy nearly fully mastered I enjoy enough maneuverability to make use of 2LL/2ML/2MG or 4MPL/2MG builds for mean close range support/brawling.

#13 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

I'm gonna recommend something that I don't have. I have a Blackjack 3 build with XL225, Endo and 15DHS, armed with a pair of PPC. Similar build worked our great on my Catapult K2 - admittedly I have more DHS on my K2 but BJ also has JJ, so I could only imagine this would work out even better.

A pair of PPC is gold in ranged combat, and BJ's high-up weapon mount certainly is a bliss.

#14 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 21 July 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

I'm gonna recommend something that I don't have. I have a Blackjack 3 build with XL225, Endo and 15DHS, armed with a pair of PPC. Similar build worked our great on my Catapult K2 - admittedly I have more DHS on my K2 but BJ also has JJ, so I could only imagine this would work out even better.

A pair of PPC is gold in ranged combat, and BJ's high-up weapon mount certainly is a bliss.

That build is actually pretty similar to a secondary build I use for my BJ-1 (2 PPCs, 2MGs, and 2 Small Lasers). It works well, though for the OP I think he hasn't played long enough to be able to afford an XL engine. I found the main weakness of the Blackjack is that until you can afford an XL engine you either have to go with a slow engine but with more powerful weaponry, or a faster engine with less weaponry.

Using a stock BJ-1 as a template this BJ-1 build just adds the expense of Double Heatsinks and an AMS (the standard 180 is too slow to quickly hide from an LRM volley) and should be a serviceable long distance damager thanks to the AC2s. From there I'd try to earn enough money to get endo and replace the AC2s with a Gauss Rifle (something like this build) so I'd have a weapon that I can target a mech, do damage, then sneak back into cover. Once you can afford an XL engine (I use a 225XL but you can fit up to a 235XL) it opens up the mech to being a skirmisher rather than being a wingman for an assault mech or LRM boat.

#15 Alantan

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Thx, for all the posts guys! I didn't expect that much help, as i know how annoying noobs like me can be :angry:

I actually kind off dun guffed, because i bought 250std, switched to dual heatsinks, and i wanted to try how will the standard build work when i have all the stuff i need, and yeah its better but but im still getting caught by enemy mechs and die like a *****. I understand the keep with the team thing, but its keep with the team, or flank.

Now i cant fit any ppc's into my mech with this engine, and i did sold the stock one <_< I have 5 million cb so i can afford an XL engine and try one of the build i found on this site, like: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...166a9008ebfc5dd.
But that would mean that ill get stuck with this Hunchback for a long time, can i at least switch this engine within different chassis? I did notice that i can move items to "storage" and sell them, but im not sure if i can move them between mechs.

#16 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

You can most certainly move engines (and all other purchasable mech parts, like weapons, heatsinks, ammo, even armor) between mechs. I highly advise NEVER selling an engine unless you have duplicates. Also don't sell expensive weapons (anything over oh... 200k cbills) because you never know when you might want to try out a new (or old) build.

I personally woulndn't put an XL into a hunchback, HOWEVER that XL255 is one of the more useful engine sizes to have. I think I use my XL300 the most, then the XL255, and then some niche ones like the XL engines that come stock with certain mechs. I'd suggest expanding your mech selection over an expensive XL engine, personally, but if you're going to invest the 255 isn't a terrible one.

The thing with the XL255 is that it weighs the same as the XL250 and it's the smallest XL engine that has the full 10 engine heat sinks, so you don't have to add any elsewhere in the mech (plus upgraded to doubles it counts as 20 normal heat sinks).

Edited by DodgerH2O, 21 July 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#17 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostDodgerH2O, on 21 July 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

You can most certainly move engines (and all other purchasable mech parts, like weapons, heatsinks, ammo, even armor) between mechs. I highly advise NEVER selling an engine unless you have duplicates. Also don't sell expensive weapons (anything over oh... 200k cbills) because you never know when you might want to try out a new (or old) build.

I personally woulndn't put an XL into a hunchback, HOWEVER that XL255 is one of the more useful engine sizes to have. I think I use my XL300 the most, then the XL255, and then some niche ones like the XL engines that come stock with certain mechs. I'd suggest expanding your mech selection over an expensive XL engine, personally, but if you're going to invest the 255 isn't a terrible one.

The thing with the XL255 is that it weighs the same as the XL250 and it's the smallest XL engine that has the full 10 engine heat sinks, so you don't have to add any elsewhere in the mech (plus upgraded to doubles it counts as 20 normal heat sinks).

To be fair, the 4SP is the best (ie "least worst") Hunchback to use an XL with...

#18 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Mediums can be hard to play. If you go in to brawl early, you get slaughtered. You can go with a heavy LRM build (for a medium, anyways), but if a light comes calling, you don't have much to hold them off with.

With that in mind, the SP is a great do it all medium. Go with some balance. Someone up there suggested a 2xLRM10 build with some energy weapons as backup. That'd be my call. You can contribute significant LRM volleys the first half of the battle while also helping protect the larger LRM boats. Once you are out of LRM ammo, you can wade in and hopefully help finish off some weakened enemy heavies and assaults.

I've been running a Centurion lately with 1xLRM15, 1xLRM5 (the combo, ironically, takes up 1T and 1 slot LESS than a LRM20) with 3 tons of ammo, 3xML's, 1xTAG and 1xBAP. It was a hard decision to lose a ML for the TAG, but with ECM being so prevalent, I kept getting into spaces where I'd have an enemy in my sights but not be able to lock in. :/

#19 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostRaso, on 19 July 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Personally, I would recommend a Hunchback 4SP with dual ALRM5s and TAG. This works well as both a long range fire support platform and a medium range support platform. The Hunchback will also give you a superb brawling mech should you ever change gears. This is a very noob friendly mech.

Raso must enjoy having every missile he fires be killed by AMS before they can impact.

If you want to use LRMs, either get a Treb 7M or Cent 9D, and run either 2x LRM15 or 2x LRM10 + 1x LRM5 (on the Left Torso.) Always equip a TAG and always equip Artemis.

However if you want to have more punch than that, I'd recommend trying a twin PPC config on a Blackjack or Trebuchet. The Centurion 9A everyone is suggesting should not have an AC/10 on it, by the way; AC/10s are awful weapons. 3x SRM6 / 2 Meds is the standard config for that model, but it's a brawler through and through.

Really if you enjoy long range play, outside of those jumping Blackjack / Treb PPC snipers, I'd really recommend you consider tonning up to the Quickdraw or Cataphract. Both are fairly quick and can mount very solid long range weapon setups, while still being much faster than a typical assault.

But yeah. If you do use LRMs you want to be firing AT LEAST 25 of them, the more the better, otherwise you're just wasting tonnage.

View PostShuyen, on 21 July 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I've been running a Centurion lately with 1xLRM15, 1xLRM5 (the combo, ironically, takes up 1T and 1 slot LESS than a LRM20) with 3 tons of ammo, 3xML's, 1xTAG and 1xBAP. It was a hard decision to lose a ML for the TAG, but with ECM being so prevalent, I kept getting into spaces where I'd have an enemy in my sights but not be able to lock in. :/

Speed is going to be more important to that build than medium lasers will ever, ever be. Drop the MLs, run twin 15s and upgrade your engine with every ounce of free tonnage you have - a Cent 9D is your best bet, so it can break the engine cap.

LRMs are all about dictating the range you chose to fight at, so speed will always be more important than light-mech esque weapons. You won't be able to force anyone off you with those, but with a good engine you might be able to run back to your line.

Edited by Victor Morson, 21 July 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#20 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 21 July 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Raso must enjoy having every missile he fires be killed by AMS before they can impact.

Or maybe I enjoy the tight spread of the LRM5s? Nah, I'm just messing with you. Of course I enjoy dealing no damage, it's obviously the only reason to use ALR5s.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users