Upgrade Cpu, Destroy Fps

7 replies to this topic

#1 VariousCheeses

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

I recently upgraded my CPU from a 5 year old AMD Phenom II X4 to a brand new i5 4670K, along with increasing the ram from 6gb to 8gb. The game has gone from perfectly stable (30-60fps) to unplayable (10-15fps). I now load into the game late, with friendly mechs already moving while I run my startup sequence and fps crashes into single digits during large fights.

The GPU is a GTX 780 that worked perfectly with the old AMD hardware.

What the hell happened?

#2 rgreat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I hope you did reinstall game and drivers...

#3 VariousCheeses

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Game and drivers were reinstalled to no effect last night.

#4 Dubious

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

I would be concerned about a faulty chip. No reason that chip should not run the game better than your previous one. Have you tried other high end games? I would assume that if the issue was with the new ram the computer would not boot, but also double check that you have the right type of ram for your motherboard.

Edited by Dubious, 19 July 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#5 VariousCheeses

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Memtest+ showed no RAM errors. Bioshock infinite and Borderlands 2 run smooth as real life (with MWO running in the background). This is the only game giving me issues.

Edited by VariousCheeses, 19 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#6 VariousCheeses

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Fixed it: MWO had issues with cpu scaling I guess? The i5 wasn't getting to the full 3.4ghz for some reason. Fixed it in bios.

#7 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

ah Intel... with its hyper threading... it would rather offload the workload to other cores than speed up the chip... AMD ftw

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Not necessarily.

1. With the video card, and depending on how the cabling was setup, it could have been using the on-chip Intel graphics.
2. With the system itself, the power options are usually set to balance setting, allowing the CPU to throttle down if CPU utilization was not high enough, or a game starting out on a throttled CPU then when it ramps up, it is running at sonic speeds (chuckles). Unlikely though it was this since at one time he had another game running at the same time

3. If the issue actually was a bios setting, it may not have been set to run the CPU at full throttle anyhow. MWO FPS starts taking a dive at 2.8ghz. What we do not know atm is whether or not the OP had any software running that would have shown what the current CPU speed (CPU-Z or something like that).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users