Physical Attacks

18 replies to this topic

#1 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts
  • LocationEating your cake while you're not looking.

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

Who else feels like punching in the face of your opponent? I sure do! There really needs to be a way to do physical attacks like punching and kicking. It just isn't battletech without them! Also, did I hear the words Hatchetman and No-Dachi?

#2 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Been asked for many, many times. Not the least by assault pilots that want to cup-check light mechs that get too close.

#3 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

They already kind of have charging and death from above. But it isn't really the same as chopping off someones arm with a giant axe...

#4 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

I would box with my Battlemaster. Jab, left hook, uppercut, K.O

#5 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I've been thinking about getting a battlemaster as my asssault.

#6 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

If PGI cared enough about the game, they could add a single melee attack move animation per Mech. These could range from a roundhouse punch, to a straight jab to a kick or the swing of a hatchet.

But they can't sell melee attacks, so PGI won't do it.

In the meantime, here is another round of Mech Packs to add the semblance of variety to the same limited kinds of matches on the same maps in the same old game modes.

kthxbuy.

Edited by Appogee, 03 April 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#7 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

They could sell Hatchetmen. Some mechs wouldn't benefit so much though. Catapults would have a hard time punching ;).

#8 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

Oh my god it would be satisfying to kick a light with an Atlas, then see it skid across the ground flipping end-over-end.

However, this falls into the list of "I wish we had it, but we never will" catergory. This engine can't handle it I'd imagine, and even if it was more than equiped to PGI doesnt' want the extra work.

:/

#9 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 03 April 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Oh my god it would be satisfying to kick a light with an Atlas, then see it skid across the ground flipping end-over-end.

However, this falls into the list of "I wish we had it, but we never will" catergory. This engine can't handle it I'd imagine, and even if it was more than equiped to PGI doesnt' want the extra work.

:/

Probably true. But if they do add it. Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh Yeeeeeeaaaaaahh.

#10 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Remember that Triple Strength Myomer should be an available upgrade in 3050.

Heat level hits 50%? Frenzy mode!

#11 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

If MWO had melee, I'd want to run a spider with a chainsaw.

#12 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:55 AM

Greetings all,

Reference physical attacks;

This type of code is part of the knockdown and collision work that was being worked on.
- Nothing recently has been indicated or spoken of about it.
(currently 'Mech's on collision mostly 'Faze' through each other, collision not being factored)

Quite a bit of network and positional info must be sent both ways for single "Mech's to collide" and sustain damage.
- As stated, knockdown is part of this package. Animations for 'standing back up' have been in the game, when it was in very early Beta, so that code is done, but may need updating due to new models for most 'Mech's.

- Collision, Melee, and 'just getting stuck on each other' are major concerns for the games coders. Do or can weapons get 'locked' into another 'Mechs weapons, even temporarily? What types of 'impulses' do arms and legs generate during rapid movement against another object? Be it a 'Mech or building, as we will start to see destructible objects very soon. Can an attacker damage his arms or weapons if they are used 'as strike instruments'?

There' s quite a bit of issues with any physical interaction of these 'Mech models, as what we 'see' as the 'Mech may not be what the game engine is calculating as the 'body'. Hit box structure, animation model, mesh overlay and textures are all just a loose group of components/code working in a somewhat tight formation.

- It was referenced some time ago that for any 'interaction' between 'Mech's it would 'probably' be a set of animations used for each type of melee. (but PGI has also mentioned they were not thinking of that feature anytime soon.)
- For starters, I would just like to see some damage sustained from object impacts, run into a building at speed, the building suffers damage, but so does your 'Mech. (armour is ablative so it should take some damage.) Now, requiring fast 'Mech's to actually 'know where they are going' and needing skill to pilot very fast 'Mech's.
(this could be where PGI starts testing 'knockdown' first, no other 'Mech required, just a solid unmoving object.)

As a note here:
If a 'Mech gets 'knocked down' there's the chance that the Pilot will suffer some form of 'trauma', from reduced balance commands to being knocked out. (TT and Tech reference.)

Just some info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 07 April 2015 - 03:02 AM.

#13 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:39 AM

Which of the other games in the series had melee?

#14 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostMordynak, on 07 April 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Which of the other games in the series had melee?

None of the video games did that I'm aware of. However, physical attacks were a big part of TableTop and clicky tech. I just can't wait for Death From Above to be practical. Beware of the Highlander!

#15 AkoolPopTart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationApartment

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

It's possible. Someone in the Fan Creation Section has already made a small animation clip of a punching Atlas. One problem is that the animation would have to be different based on mech design.

#16 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

I thought 9erRed answered it pretty well. The short version is: You won't see any melee until collision and knockdowns are back in game, and even then, PGI has never made any commitment to melee at all.

#17 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:47 AM

I dont need melee. I want to jump with my daishi on a light mechs head and go down through him like in MW4

#18 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

Why would an atlas be able to punch but unable to lift it's arms to shot over a hill?
Also, who needs punches if we reinvent dragon bowling!

#19 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

Greetings all,

Additional note here:

Reference Knockdown,

- there was some discussion with the Dev.'s about new features that could be brought in to stop or aid 'Mech's that were in imminent danger of being 'charged'. (charging is a common feature in TT during Melee)
~ As seen in some of the very early MWO testing and final removal of charging and knockdown.

- The thought was to use a kneeling posture to 'brace' for the impact, effectively neutralizing a knockdown attempt.
(impact impulse between the 2 colliding 'Mech's would need a new code designed and thoroughly tested.)
- This posture could also be used for adapting a lower stance for hill crest firing with 'Mech's that have high location weapons.

So, in short, any attempt to Melee attack another 'Mech would/could first require a charge to close the distance, then 'strike maneuver', and finally some form of recovery.
- If 'Kneel down' was used by the defender, some reduction of the attack may be possible. This would also work for 'Death from Above' as it could cause the Attacker to miss or only partially impact. Causing some additional fall/knockdown damage to the Attacker.
- Some 'Mechs have artwork (knee pads) indicating the legs, knees may or could use this posture. It's common in all the 'Mech art from past games and renditions, just not used much.

The Kneel down may be similar to 'squat' but a more braced posture, possibly giving up the ability to return fire when used. Past games have used 'Squat' as a common feature, allowing for a lower posture, more precise aiming and often quicker lock times as the platform would be more stable. Also providing the user with a much more difficult target for any attacker to detect and hit.
(the Catapult was a common 'Mech to use this on reverse hills to just clear the launchers.)
Or seen here from a different 'Mech:
Posted Image

Using the 'Squat' does give up some rotation ability, locking the torso into it's set arc radius following the legs direction. And may take a moment to adapt and recover before moving again.

Now there's been comments about 'Mech's that do not seem or show an ability to raise there low slung arms.
- If the 'Mech has the actuators, and equipped with hands, the 'Lore states' that the Pilot had a 2nd set of controls for precise or fine control for reaching and picking up objects. There were also algorithms designed into the 'Mech that followed known postures and designs so the 'Mech could complete some operations with little input from the Pilot.
- Striking or punching would be within the functions of these 2nd set of controls, and normally not used often.
(the Clan's hated physical/Melee Mech combat, (much less honour) so probably not seen there.)

Just some info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 07 April 2015 - 06:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users