Four-Legged + Crab-Like Mechs

61 replies to this topic

Poll: Four-Legged & Crab-Like Mechs - Got to have them? (201 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Four-Legged Mech or a Crab-like Mech? Would you consider paying real money for one?

1. Voted Yes (113 votes [56.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.22%

2. No (39 votes [19.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

3. It depends upon which mech is offered (49 votes [24.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

I would like to request that you add in at least a few of the alternate mechs from MW. This includes the four-legged mechs, the six-legged mechs (are there any?), the crab-like mechs, and some Centaur-styled mechs with normal torsos, arms, and a head, but four legs under them. Think of an ATLAS with four legs trotting his way across the battle field. What a better way to introduce MASC than with a multi-legged vehicle? Also, the turtle-like and crab-like mechs should be able to make use of 360 degree turrets and the heavier armor types.

Those that are BOLD are highly desired and would make good package mechs as they would sell well.

Crab-like Mechs:
  • Should be the first units to have MASC
  • Head is a turret and should be able to fire 360 degrees without the torso moving
  • The pilot’s point-of-view can travel with the turret independent of the torso using a release keystroke and a return keystroke to return to being locked with the torso
  • Should gain a special speed bonus on flat terrain due to Vulture-like inverted leg structure
  • Should be able to close “claws” if present like the Catapult closing its blast doors to protect the weapons inside
  • Missiles should launch from the top of them, not from the front or sides of them, arc up and then towards the target (this would be of benefit in city environments – shooting up and over nearby buildings)

Four-legged/Six-legged Mechs:
  • Should be the first units to have MASC
  • Head is a turret and should be able to fire 360 degrees without the torso moving
  • The pilot’s point-of-view can travel with the turret independent of the torso using a release keystroke and a return keystroke to return to being locked with the torso
  • Should gain a special speed bonus (reduced penalty) on hilly and inclined terrain due to use of multiple sets of legs to climb with ease
  • Should be able to climb steeper inclines with less penalties to speed due to multiple sets of legs providing greater support
  • Should be able to close “claws” if present like the Catapult closing its blast doors to protect the weapons inside
  • Missiles should launch from the top of them, not from the front or sides of them, arc up and then towards the target (this would be of benefit in city environments – shooting up and over nearby buildings)

Battle Tech Technical Readout 2750:
  • 20 tons – Mercury MCY-99
  • 30 tons – Hussar HSR-200D
  • 50 tons – Crab CRB-27
  • 100 tons – King Crab KGC-000 [and please get rid of the two AC/20 penalty - this mech is designed from the start for TWO AC/20s]

Battle Tech Technical Readout 3025:
  • 55 tons – Scorpion SCP-1N
  • 75 tons – Marauder MAD-3R
  • 80 tons – Goliath GOL-1H

Battle Tech Technical Readout 3050:
  • 20 tons – Mercury MCY-97
  • 30 tons – Firefly FFL-4B
  • 50 tons – Crab CRB-27
  • 55 tons – Hoplite HOP-4D
  • 55 tons – Scorpion SCP-1O
  • 75 tons – Marauder MAD-5D
  • 80 tons – Goliath GOL-3M
  • 100 tons – Annihilator ANH-2A
  • 100 tons – Marauder II MAD-5A

Battle Tech Technical Readout 3058:
  • 50 tons – Raijin RJN-101-A
  • 55 tons – Bushwacker BSW-X1
  • 75 tons – Dragon Fire DGR-3F
  • 75 tons – Maelstrom MTR-5K
  • 95 tons – Nightstar NSR-9J
  • 65 tons – Cauldron-Born [Clan]
  • 90 tons – Super Nova [Clan]
  • 95 tons – Turkina [Clan]

#2 shadowsedge43

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

imho 4-legged mechs are interesting under two conditions:

(1) normal mechs can fall down - as I have suggested in this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...ce-and-falling/
=> four- leggers will obviously have a massive stability advantage (as they had in the battletech tt)
(2) there is melee combat
=> four- leggers will obviously be at a massive disatvantage

#3 Flitzomat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

I think in some Ask the Devs they stated that they won´t introduce this kind of stuff.

At least for now there are more important things to get done.

#4 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

This perked my interest up to the point when I googled the King Crab only to see it had two legs.

#5 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

A lot of the mechs you list as being four legged are actually two legged. There are only two mechs in your list that are quads and that is the Scorpion and Goliath.

#6 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 24 July 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

A lot of the mechs you list as being four legged are actually two legged. There are only two mechs in your list that are quads and that is the Scorpion and Goliath.

I think the OP was going got there being two classes of 'Mech listed: what he(?) refers to as "crab-like" (characterized by a low, hunched-over body with the attachment points for the arms set low and wide (and usually forward of the torso attachment point), regardless of the number of legs) and the Quad 'Mechs. Basically, he(?) is railing/campaigning against humanoids (but then lists the rather-humanoid Annihilator in the same grouping :)).

#7 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 24 July 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

And they are unseen, and there are only two Goliath variants @ 3050.

#8 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I like the idea of the thread. Quads would be cool....but I'm disappointed by the poor information within it. Not only did you list mostly mechs that are not quads, but you also forgot the Tarantula.

#9 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Would be cool, unfortunately it takes much more time to develop a quad mech than a biped for the same end result.

#10 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostFlitzomat, on 24 July 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

I think in some Ask the Devs they stated that they won´t introduce this kind of stuff.

At least for now there are more important things to get done.

They did.
And we won't get them.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but quad mechs were hard enough to pilot in BT lore -- can you imagine trying to pilot one in MWO? Or how to design the physics for them? What happens if they lose 1 leg? Can they still limp along on the other 3? Can they torso-twist? What about aiming with their nonexistent arms? If they lose 2 legs, which would kill all other mechs, they still have 2 left; do they keep going, or are they dead?

Too many changes would need to be made to the core framework of this game for it to be feasible. And this game already HUGELY modified CryEngine3, to the point of changing how damage is taken (from "being shot = damage to your overall health" to "being shot = damage to a specific component's health), as well as finding, after an enormous amount of work, a bug that existed buried within the original code of the Engine itself.
(see "HUD Bug Brief" for full details -- forewarning; it's a Great Wall of Text that you're unlikely to understand unless you have extensive coding experience)

So yeah. Not happening. Sorry.

Edited by Spirit of the Wolf, 24 July 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#11 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

The first BT quadruped/hexapod mechs were from Fang of the Sun: Dougram. They moved very slowly relative to the BT versions. Tanks, artillery and other related armor vehicles are better firing platforms anyway, whether hover/tracked/or wheeled. And, outside of MW:LL, you won't see any of those in MW:O either.

I'd rather play a bi-pedal mecha game than "Go Go Lion"

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 24 July 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#12 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

4 legged mechs had a very rough ride, so most mechwarriors shunned them. they were never even realy viable till the 3060s when improved technology allowed them to be more reliable.

#13 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the input - i am aware that most of the mechs listed were indeed two-legged. My point was they were crab-like in their general appearance of the image or description. Additionally, i felt that they should have had something special to diffientiate them from the normal bipedal mechs they battled with. Some where almost humanoid in appearance, but they had the potential with a light "rework" to make them fully crab-like or even add an extra set of legs and make them quads.

Also, if anyone else has seen the video of the militaries newest minigun quad that they are testing, you would not say that they are unstable (even if the lore says so, the truth is, they are very stable). Google it and you will see a video of a large dog-sized quad with a hardpoint on its back for a Minigun, a 5,000 round ammo bin and a lot of targeting gear. The early prototype was tethered, but they are already into the wireless controlled verion. They kick it as hard as possible with a run and it stayed as steady as a linebacker hit by a flyweight. With that sort of tech now, the quads of the future would be far more advanced and far more stable.

Lastly, my primary desire for the quads, in addition to the use of advanced armors for turtle-like endurance, was the desire to introduce systems like the Long Tom and Arrow IV. No other sort of mech could do these systems better justice then a mobile artilery piece like a quad.

I do appologize - i know i missed a lot of the newer quads and crab-like mechs, but i only own the books listed from the late 80s and early 90s (been playing it table top for something over 20 years or so - yes, i am old).

And yes, the King Crab is indeed a two-legged mech - and it should not be. It should have been designed from the start as a quad or even a six-legged mech. The tech is surly there for such advancments.

#14 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

i think it'd be a giant pile of work for PGI, to create something nobody would want/use.

new skeletal rigging, etc.

Edited by Fierostetz, 25 July 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#15 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Who does not want 4 x LB-10X Cannons?????? Or two AC/20s that are by design supposed to be there?

#16 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:07 AM

i still like the quad idea - if not, make some of the others avaiable that use two leggs that are crab-like - PLEASE give me the KING CRAB, but remove that silly heat penalty for two AC/20s :)

#17 Animus Corpus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Is the Bushwacker such a hard unit to include? Same with the King Crab. Both are similar to the Stalker and the Catapult - so it should not require much beyond reskinning them and adding different hard points in the TXT files. :)

#18 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

TARANTULA BABY!!!!!

I'd love to pilot one so damn much... jumpjets, masc, 2 med lasers. LET'S GO!

#19 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostMeat Waggon, on 24 July 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

100 tons – King Crab KGC-000 [and please get rid of the two AC/20 penalty - this mech is designed from the start for TWO AC/20s]

I'll just leave this here;

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Doesn't look 4-legged to me.

75 tons – Marauder MAD-5D

Also, the Marauder is iconic. Do not mess with iconic mechs.

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Not some 4-legged thing.

80 tons – Goliath GOL-1H

Is already 4-legs

Posted Image

55 tons – ScorpionPosted Image

Firefly is not:
Posted Image

At the very least. do some research. 4--legged mechs exist, but I will not stand for you changing ones that are not.

Edited by Unbound Inferno, 27 July 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#20 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostJackson Jax Teller, on 27 July 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Also the spider or the goliath are part of the reason the Marauder is out. lawsuit etc.

How about they get the two legged mechs right and stuff first before they are asked to tackle harder stuff

Strictly speaking, the thrice-d**ned, Kerensky-forsaken Mad Cat is the reason we are denied the awesomeness that is the Marauder... :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users