7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Varayis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 500 posts
  • LocationThe Fresh River City

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Howdy folks! Stevie V here, and I have decided to want to help all you rookie pilots in this damn good game!

Lets begin!

PART 1: GENERAL STRATEGIES

Strength in Numbers. This is an ESSENTIAL part of MWO. You can't lone wolf it like in other games, because you'll run into 2-3 enemy mechs and become a slagheap faster than you can say 'I dun Goofed'. Stick with your team-mates. They (usually) know what to do.

Cover. Staying concealed and covered from the enemy is nothing short of vital. Given your average use of the dreaded ERPPC, Gauss Rifle, and LRM's in any combination is lethal for most mechs. This is most readily apparent in wide open maps, such as swaths of Alpine Peaks, Tourmaline Desert, and Forest Colony's water area.

Heat. Always keep an eye on your heat gauge. sometimes I get too carried away with laser-based fun, but end up shutting myself down in front of the enemy. This has happened to me twice, because I got overzealous.Ways to allieviate heat issues is space out your shots, chain-fire (fire only one weapon in the group at a time) or, if your Mech has Single Heat Sinks in the legs, walk into water where available.

[color=#959595]Cover - go around, not over! [/color]

[color=#959595]Generally speaking, if given a choice of going around a hill or over it, go around. Obviously, this doesn't work if going around will require a long trip out of your way, but going over it can expose you to fire from the entire enemy team on the other side, while going around will limit what parts of your mech are exposed and you probably will take fire from fewer enemies. I've seen so many new players die by going over a hill into the line of fire and then dying while trying to back-peddle back down the hill. (Oldradagest, you genius!)[/color]

PART 2: WEIGHT CLASSES, AND ASSOCIATED PLAYSTYLES

Mechs are obviously down into four weight classes, the light and agile Light, the workhorse Medium, the ever-adaptable Heavy, and the powerhouse Assault.

LIGHTS: With Lights, there is one principle associated with this weight class: 'Speed is life'. Since you haven't got anything else going for you (Lights possess small amounts of weapons and light amounts of armor) When playing this weight class, never stand still. Not behind a rock, not behind an ally, and especially don't stop to shoot the Atlas in the face. When I try and cap things in a light, I keep momentum going, so if I have to whisk away in a jiffy, I can. Usually, I see a Light just standing there, allowing me a free hit with some pretty big guns.

MEDIUMS: While not as fast as a Light or as hard-hitting as a Heavy, Mediums still have flexibility. You may hear on the Forums time to time that Mediums are useless, they clearly haven't met a half-competent Medium pilot. When playing, try to play a very tactical game. Cover is necessary for prolonging your life, and as an extension, your damage potential. In one case, I was alone against a nearly cored Cataphract and two LRM-focused Stalkers. I managed to down the Cata and one Stalker before going down. If you are packing an AC/10, be prepared to take some ammo with you. One user pointed out the main weakness presented by Mediums is a sluggish top speed, often matched by Heavies. He recommends upgrading one's engine to ~250, try it, it's fun! (Thanks Oldradagast!)

HEAVIES: When playing Heavy, you are behind a fair few more guns than the Medium Mechs, and can usually keep pace with them. You don't have to be so concerned with your armor than mediums, but remember you only have a finite amount. In terms of guns, expect to be packing PPC's larger Autocannons, LRM 15's and 20's, and Gauss Rifles. hard hitting, and dangerous to solo Mediums, but beware Lights, as they can usually run circles and wear you down.

ASSAULTS: The biggest, meanest looking and most dangerous in a stand-up fight. Packing more guns and armor than Heavies, The only real issue is your speed. Don't place extra tonnage into engines, as small upgrades don't do much for overall speed unless you plan to invest some serious weight in one. XL engines are usually not a good idea, as with Mechs like the Stalker and Atlas, they will go for side torsos. Keep to cover, and when they enter your engagement range, show 'em why Assaults don't get truffled with.

PART 3: SPECIFIC 'MECH STRATEGIES

Note, these are only the 'Mechs I have played, and can give a pretty good rundown on them. If anyone else would like to add them, then be my guest, and I'll see if I can't include them here!

LIGHTS

SPIDER SDR-5K: Usually regarded as the most 'useless' variant, as it has only one Energy slot in the Center Torso, and 4 Ballistics slots (AKA Machine Guns for you!) with 2 to each arm, you have to pilot on your toes. A maxed out XL engine is rather pricey, yes, but worth it (with Speed Tweak, you got ~155KM/H AKA damn fast). Jump Jets can be used to access other areas potential pursuers couldn't use, climb buildings, or my personal favourite, jumping over the enemy's Mech. This daring move can be costly, however, as an enemy can blast your legs. I ran mine as a spotter for LRM fire, with TAG, and 4 Machine Guns, with a Beagle Active Probe and 3 tons of ammo. Having no heat build-up from MG's means you can fire them infinitely, and most foes under-estimate you.

RAVEN RVN-3L: This Raven is regarded as the most 'powerful' of the three, due to the mounting of the ECM. This device interrupts Streak SRM lock-on, LRM lock-on, Line of Sight Targeting, and can be countered by another ECM with Counter-mode (default key, J), or a Beagle Active Probe within 150M. The stock Raven 3L is what I run in, and I have racked up 120 kills in it. including an Atlas and an Awesome in a single match. Heat is an issue until you upgrade to Double Heat Sinks, but combat is not it's primary role. Your role is to spot targets for LRM's, as you pack a NARC missile pod, and a TAG laser (Both decrease lock-on of LRM's, and as such, are a boon when co-ordinating. Plus, those sweet Spot and NARC/TAG bonuses.) Direct combat builds are possible, not reccomended (other Lights like the Jenner have more laser hardpoints, for example)

ANY COMMANDO: The first requirement to run in a Commando of ANY variation is to be slightly mentally imbalanced. Ninja-vescent to the EXTREME The fact it has thin armor, SRM reliance, and a slow stock speed, the Commando is the insane epic MechWarrior's first port of call. Play it like you're ******* Solid Snake.

MEDIUMS

CENTURION CN9-A: More or less the Mario-Mech. With an LRM-10, AC 10 and 2 Medium Lasers, it is the dependable all round Mech. Use this any way you want to, because it can usually do it. Supporting LRM fire, brawling, mid-range sniping. Also known as a 'Zombie', due to the ability to take frankly ridiculous punishment. The only way to kill one is gank both legs, head or Center Torso. Until then, you got at least 2 Medium Lasers to melt their paintwork.

CICADA CDA-2A/2B
Only build you need for one

CICADA 3C
With only one Energy Hardpoint, taking the PPC is ESSENTIAL. It will provide nearly ALL your hitting power. Use this as a fast sniper to pick off weak components/Mechs. Machine Guns should be a last resort.

CICADA-3M. Using this one with an Ultra Autocannon/5 and two medium Lasers can provide an excellent raider, moving as fast as a maxed out Jenner or Spider, with bigger guns.

HUNCHBACK HBK-4G
THE quintessential Medium brawler. Armed with the OMGWTFBBQ big Autocannon/20, it can wreck most Mechs in a closed one-on-one fight. however it can be adaped to fill roles from Brawling, to sniping easily. Never under-estimate one close in, as it can deal out damage, and take it equally well.

HUNCHBACK HBK-4H
Sacrificing 2 Ballistics Hardpoints for 2 Energy points, this Mech may seem silly. However, equipping one with a Gauss Rifle or upgrading the AC10 to and AC20 can make it a beteer brawler than the 4G. Watch your heat though, as shutting down in one-on-one is suicide.

HEAVY

Cataphract CTF-1X
Using predominately energy weapons, it is an excellent soldier with a PPC and AC10. Can be changed to suit most mid-range/close range needs, and swapping the PPC for an ERPPC can provide longer-range firepower. Solid armor makes most brawls easy.

Cataphract CTF-3D
With an XL engine to propel it as fast as a 1X or Muromets, the 3D is a reliable Heavy Mech. Using it as a brawler with the UAC/5 and LB10X can lead to excellent damage output with plenty of weapons. Jump Jest increase maneuverability. Just remember, try not to lose side torsos, or else you'll be toast
CATAPULT CPLT-K2
Used in the early days of Open beta as a brutal dual Ballistics boat ( Dual AC/20's and dual Gauss were the most terrifying.) It is used more as a long-range sniper (due to the dreaded AC/40 Jager Build, described below), but a stock K2 can do some pretty good damage in a fire-support role. Chain-firing the PPC's helps keep heat levels down, and if one's heat is too damn high, Machine Guns can help annoy the opponent long enough to use the Medium Lasers.

ASSAULT

HIGHLANDER HGN-732

Famous for it's Poptarting ability (described below) the Highlander is still a dangerous Mech even if it doesn't. It's stock build is pretty balanced in terms of long range vs short range. I use mine with an ERPPC and Gauss for long distance, and 2 Medium Lasers and 2 SRM6's for close range. Deals pretty heavy amounts of damage to it's foes. Great all around wreck **** mech

STALKER STK-3F
Often used to boat 6PPC's, 6 Large Pulse Lasers, or 6 Large Lasers, the Stalker modified can be a battlefield terror, and has has MechWarriors shed many a tear. Using one stock is like playing OvenMech 8000. Alpha-Strikes can nearly shut it down, but it has a nice punch. Long rannge, it is a bit meh, but up close it pops things like they're hot.

VICTOR VTR-9K
More or less a poor man's Heavy Metal, the Victor is nonetheless an adversary to be weary of.. Armed with a Gauss Rifle, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, and an SRM-4, it only gets more hurty the closer you are. Try and engage with LRM's and other such long-rannge, where only it's gauss can touch you with ferro-nickel goodness.

VICTOR VTR-9S

Extremely dangerous brawler. With 420 Damages' worth of AutoCannon 20 ammo, you most definitely want this on your team. When using it, be sure to conserve ammo for that big gun, as it's your best chance to scrap baddies.

PART 3: GENERAL STUFF

CADET BONUS
The Cadet Bonus for new peeps means after 25 games, you'll have 8 Million GUARANTEED C-Bills. This will net you 98% of the non-MC mechs. The only two that hare hard to get even with good play are the Awesome AWS-9M, and Atlas AS7-K (If you get 100,000 average per match for 20 matches, the DDC would be yours too). Recommended you don't buy anything until you have the ful gamut of the Cadet Bonus, so you can see every option available.

MECH UPGRADES (Endo-Steel, Ferro-Fibrous ETC)

Endo-Steel is an almost essential, since it is highly unlikely one could fill up every slot without one of those upgrades (grats if you do) It grants ectra tonnage, which is a MASSIVE boon.

Ferro Firbous should be rather low on one's upgrade priority, since it only grants a small weight bonus.

Double Heat Sinks combined with a large engine and used extra Heat Sinks Slots can cause a powerful bonus without extra slots taken by DHS Omnomnomming three crit slots. Almost essential for energy-heavy builds.

Artemis is good for those who like missiles. A lot. Missiles spread less, meaning a lot more damage can be focused in that lovely Center Torso area.

PART 4: Monster Compendium

This part is some of the... More sinister builds that one will encounter on their adventures in the Inner Sphere.

POPTARTS
Poptarts are the Cataphract 3D, Highlanders and Victors that are configured to Jump Jet above cover, shoot, and pop back down. Given their heavy armor, they are hard to kill. To kill one, approach them and shoot them in the face with team-mates,

BOATS
Boats are Mechs using one kind of weapon, usually to the exclusion of all other weapons. Common examples are the 6 AC/2 JagerMech-DD, the 6 Energy Weapon Stalker, and the like. They are usually very powerful in their chosen field, but are weak in every other regard.

THE AC/40 JAGERMECH
These are probably the most prolific boat you'll see, and if you have ever tangled with one, you'll know why.

Armed with dual AC/20's, the Jager is an EXTREME threat up close. Do not approach, pat, or attempt to feed one. They will usually wreck anything that dares approach their circle of dominance. However JagerMechs have two flaws, that work together to make it laughable at range, and they are need for XL engines, and weak side torso armor. Given the size of the hitboxes associated with these Mechs, they can easily be dealt with at range.

Any more knowledge you'll like to see? Any suggestions, or questions? Don't be afraid to ask!

Edited by Steve Varayis, 25 July 2013 - 01:08 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Brief but certainly going to be a helpful guide.

#3 Windsaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

For the most part it is a good article but not necessarily a beginners' guide.

I mean, look at the weight class playstyle, for example for the mediums. It is basically an personal experience description from a veteran player.
Yet the same argument about requiring a good pilot could be applied to any Commando pilot, but they are being called "metally imbalanced".

So: Not necessarily a great beginners' guide, but a decent experience description from a veteran which also contains some information useful for beginners.

#4 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

If I can add a few thoughts to your guide - hope you don't mind:

1) Cover - go around, not over!

Generally speaking, if given a choice of going around a hill or over it, go around. Obviously, this doesn't work if going around will require a long trip out of your way, but going over it can expose you to fire from the entire enemy team on the other side, while going around will limit what parts of your mech are exposed and you probably will take fire from fewer enemies. I've seen so many new players die by going over a hill into the line of fire and then dying while trying to back-peddle back down the hill.

2) If playing a Medium, see if you can up the speed:

The main flaw, IMHO, with Mediums out of the box is that many move at the same speed as Heavies, while having less armor and firepower. To fix this, look for ways to put in a larger engine, even if it means using Endo and Ferro on your Medium mech. Note that while folks *can* use similar tactics to make a Heavy move a lot faster, they rarely do, with the exception of the the Dragon and the Quickdraw.

Long story short - your starting Hunchback may seem sluggish, but after you cram Endo, Ferro, and a standard 250 in there, it suddenly will run rings around slower mechs. Try it - it's fun.

I hope this helps.

Edited by oldradagast, 24 July 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#5 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

In my opinion, your guide needs more graphics.

#6 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Great guide for new players! Nice work

#7 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

A very good start. Some tweaks as the patches come out and adding the other mechs once you have a chance to try them out will make it very nice resource.

Greywolf

#8 Steve Varayis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 500 posts
  • LocationThe Fresh River City

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

View PostWindsaw, on 23 July 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

For the most part it is a good article but not necessarily a beginners' guide.

I mean, look at the weight class playstyle, for example for the mediums. It is basically an personal experience description from a veteran player.
Yet the same argument about requiring a good pilot could be applied to any Commando pilot, but they are being called "metally imbalanced".

So: Not necessarily a great beginners' guide, but a decent experience description from a veteran which also contains some information useful for beginners.

thanks, fixed that, and I'll have a look over and try to improve it.

View Postoldradagast, on 24 July 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

If I can add a few thoughts to your guide - hope you don't mind:

1) Cover - go around, not over!

Generally speaking, if given a choice of going around a hill or over it, go around. Obviously, this doesn't work if going around will require a long trip out of your way, but going over it can expose you to fire from the entire enemy team on the other side, while going around will limit what parts of your mech are exposed and you probably will take fire from fewer enemies. I've seen so many new players die by going over a hill into the line of fire and then dying while trying to back-peddle back down the hill.

2) If playing a Medium, see if you can up the speed:

The main flaw, IMHO, with Mediums out of the box is that many move at the same speed as Heavies, while having less armor and firepower. To fix this, look for ways to put in a larger engine, even if it means using Endo and Ferro on your Medium mech. Note that while folks *can* use similar tactics to make a Heavy move a lot faster, they rarely do, with the exception of the the Dragon and the Quickdraw.

Long story short - your starting Hunchback may seem sluggish, but after you cram Endo, Ferro, and a standard 250 in there, it suddenly will run rings around slower mechs. Try it - it's fun.

I hope this helps.

Added your awesome info to the General and Medium areas.

View PostTeam Leader, on 24 July 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Great guide for new players! Nice work

Why thank you!

View PostRF Greywolf, on 24 July 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

A very good start. Some tweaks as the patches come out and adding the other mechs once you have a chance to try them out will make it very nice resource.

Greywolf

I'll do my very best I can try. I'll hopefully do the Phoenix Mechs like a madman for a couple days, so I should have some good info on them.

Also, general question, do you guys want tips on EVERY variant? or just generalized ones for the whole chassis?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users