Creative Developer Update – Summer Edition With Special Guest Paul Inouye

519 replies to this topic

#41 AgroAlba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Sounds good! Very much looking forward to Match Maker weighting of Assaults, and Medium and light agility tweaks!

#42 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 25 July 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Oh gawd, I'm having closed beta flashbacks

Same. Wonder if it has anything to do with trying a netcode solution.

#43 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

This is a disappointing update. More tests "coming soon" (tests!), no solid info on CW, marginal nerfs for PPCs without examining the real issues at hand.

I'm excited about a proposed Medium mech agility buff, but outside of faster acceleration/deceleration, I'm not sure what they could mean.

Adding more incentives to capping is heart-breaking. Back caps are already the most frustrating thing in the game. I'm sure some armchair warrior will pop up and say "leave someone back to defend!" but most of us don't enjoy either sitting in place for 15 minutes "just in case" or rolling into another deathball one man short because you had the brilliant idea to leave one behind.

The game needs more dynamic modes that keep mechs moving towards different goals, not playing the back-cap game.

#44 mooky

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationALHENA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Bryan,

A word of advice...

ER/PPC's
PPC +1
ERPPC +2

Seriously. PPC's already have a disadvantage, the minimum distance while ERPPC's don't. Both are underheated at the moment, so +1/+2 isn't a giant leap, it's incremental

Drop the needlessly complex heat scale metrics
They are confusing to n00bs and really an uneeded game mechanic. Most weapons were fairly well balanced in my mind, I don't find any I hate really. sure some are better than others and need minor tweaking, but nothing is ridiculously OP beside ER/PPC's (and that's a simple heat adjustment fix, the damage, and even the pinpoint accuracy as is fine IMHO)

Fix HSR
Everyone I know complains about one weapon or another not registering, but it's never the same depending on who you talk to. But inevibly it's most apparent in high-value alpha single-location weapon strikes, but not limited to them. The obvious culprit is the HSR code is messing up. It's good, but not perfect, especially when your ping yo-yo's. You acknowledge as much with the BUFF to SRM's to 2.0/missile

Concrete CW details
If nothing else, just leak a few screen shots or concept images. It doesn't need to be a state secret for pete's sake. You couldn't be more vague at the moment if you tried

Just my $0.02 CDN,
mooky

#45 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Glad Tera Therma is confirmed for next Tuesday. Was a little worried a new map was not going to be released this month.

Would have been nice if they announced which mech will be released in august. Although given the amount of flak they received over the Quickdraw shuffle, I can understand withholding info if they're not 100% absolutely sure which one it will be.

Glad they made the deadline they set for this creative update. Now, just waiting on AtD 43...

#46 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

View PostInfernus1986, on 25 July 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

There i cut through the rabble of to the only piece of solid information for you everything else is already known, has happened or is a position at this time.

Oh, gee, thanks. I guess my snip function malfunctioned.

#47 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

View PostInfernus1986, on 25 July 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

There i cut through the rabble of to the only piece of solid information for you everything else is already known, has happened or is a position at this time.

And completely leave out the light/medium buff and drop weight?

My, but you seem totally unbiased here.

#48 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Tonnage Limits – late stage design

View PostBryan Ekman, on 25 July 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Investigating the roles of Medium and Light Mechs on the battlefield. We will be attacking this from two different fronts. While still under heavy investigation, weight balancing during match making will restrict the number of heavies/assaults that a team will be able to bring to the battlefield. There are multiple ways to approach this but we are taking our time to ensure we pick the right path to maximize the effectiveness of what we can do in the short term. Second is a series of quirk adjustments that will emphasise the lines between the Mech classes. First in line will be the Medium Mechs with a series of agility buffs coming their way. A tertiary sub-objective for us, is to increase the kinds of rewards that are given for various types of gameplay, meaning, pilots will get more CB/XP for performing specific tasks that are ideal for the Medium and Light Mechs. Capturing a base can earn players more rewards the more frequently they do it in a given match.

I find these two statements at odds with each other.

Why go through the trouble of attempting to fix the Light/Medium roles when tonnage limits are what is needed and already being developed?

I forsee a rocky road ahead from this point on based on the information I am seeing, the already implemented mechanics and content, and the community's expectations of what we wanted out of MWO.

#49 The Legendary Samurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts
  • LocationGuzman Park 2

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, Bryan. So when do we get the update?

#50 Relic1701

• 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

No wonder they don't bother telling us anything, look at the grief they get when they do!

#51 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

"...in August, along with a new engine update..."

'Mech engine or Cytek engine?

#52 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostINAPPROPRIATE NAME 0001, on 25 July 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Still intent on forcing third person?

Best devs ever I tell ya hwhat.

http://mwomercs.com/...is-when-needed/

MechWarrior Online is being designed to put you the player in the seat of the pilot. It is 100% first person view only. Being the pilot is one of our key design pillars and 3rd person breaks that pillar on multiple levels as seen in many of the other 3rd Person discussions.

We will investigate 3rd person in the far off distance for special game settings, but this is very far off in the distance.

While we appreciate those who enjoy 3rd person, MWO will be 1st person out of the gate and in the near future.

-Paul
Lead Designer

#53 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the wall of text. So, how far behind schedule are you?

Edited by Zolaz, 25 July 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#54 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Okay, not realy much Infos here.

But you realy did well in July Patches, so i cant wait for more :)

Keep up the work.

#55 Hubis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Just to show that I can commend as well as condemn:

The proposed changes from Paul (increasing medium mech agility/viability, balancing team compositions, heavily re-adjusting weapons, specifically heating up PPCs and buffing Medium/Large Pulse Lasers) all seem like the right direction for things to be going. I look forward to more specifics in the very near future, but in the mean time can you give an idea of when to expect the PPC heat increase?

Regarding Bryan's points, the phased CW roll-out makes sense. I am concerned that the part which seems to relate to competitive play (Conquest/"I can control") is the last phase, however -- can you speak to whether pre-arranged team matches might be accommodated sometime earlier in the process? More extensive public testing of new features before launch is also good practice, and I hope it becomes standard for every single patch you do. I think this would go a long, long way towards eliminating the patch-day chaos that has sometimes disrupted the game in the past.

Edited by Hubis, 25 July 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#56 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostChronojam, on 25 July 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...is-when-needed/

MechWarrior Online is being designed to put you the player in the seat of the pilot. It is 100% first person view only. Being the pilot is one of our key design pillars and 3rd person breaks that pillar on multiple levels as seen in many of the other 3rd Person discussions.

We will investigate 3rd person in the far off distance for special game settings, but this is very far off in the distance.

While we appreciate those who enjoy 3rd person, MWO will be 1st person out of the gate and in the near future.

-Paul
Lead Designer

Why trot this dead horse out again? It's year old. Their position has changed and they have explained it more than once. So, why? People are saying Bryan and Paul told us nothing new, but your's is really old news.

#57 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

thx for the update..its good to have some news again...

now on those news.

please stop making things even more complicated. lights and mediums dont need any quirks and agility buffs. fix your game modes. as long as the only objective is kill the enemy players will always go for bigger=better. and unfortunately this is the truth, mwo is turning into an arms race and when the game promotes that mentality no matter what quirks you come up with nothing will change. once again, please do NOT go after the symptom go after the cause

what is it with you and 3pv? at least let us know why are you so stubborn on this issue. why is this such an importnat feature for you. are you really so sure that it wont give an advantage over 1st pv. are you really considering seperate qeues and you think its a good idea? you keep wasting your time and resources on something the community is screaming against...

a new map is always great news..thx
increasing ppc base heat is a good move, and its something you should have done long ago.

#58 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

And no word on heatscale. In the last two patches we finally got what we've been telling you guys for months; a buff to SRM damage and increase in PPC heat... only to negate that progress with the new heatscale. It's as if there's a rule at play that says no patch can be uncontentiously called good.

#59 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostHubis, on 25 July 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Just to show that I can commend as well as condemn:

The proposed changes from Paul (increasing medium mech agility/viability, balancing team compositions, heavily re-adjusting weapons, specifically heating up PPCs and buffing Medium/Large Pulse Lasers) all seem like the right direction for things to be going. I look forward to more specifics in the very near future, but in the mean time can you give an idea of when to expect the PPC heat increase?

I was pretty sure the projected date of that is the 30th. That was the the most notable thing in Paul's previous command post regarding "looking into raising PPC heat".

I wouldn't take this as a sure thing, but it's a realistic expectation when numbers are given out.

#60 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I just want to be one of what seems the few, who is actually grateful for this communication.
Thanks for communicating PGI.
Even if the entire first page are hate posts.

Seriously why even bother posting or coming here at-all if that's all you're gonna do?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users