Increase Laser Range - Er Too?

24 replies to this topic

#1 DmOcRsi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong location, I'm having a hard time finding where to post this... however, I have a question.

I was looking at the Increase Large Laser Range module, however I was wondering, does it also increase the ER Large Laser range or only the Large Laser?

#2 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

I think it affects all versions of the large laser. But more importantly, don't buy it. None of the extended range modules are worth your precious GXP or Cbills. They give minimal increases at an unreasonable cost.

#3 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

View Postcrossflip, on 12 May 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

I think it affects all versions of the large laser. But more importantly, don't buy it. None of the extended range modules are worth your precious GXP or Cbills. They give minimal increases at an unreasonable cost.

I disagree, XP is easy to get and if you have it than by all means , purchase it to increase your range!

#4 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

View Post3N3RGY, on 13 May 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

I disagree, XP is easy to get and if you have it than by all means , purchase it to increase your range!

After purchasing you need to spend ~2mil or more C-Bills to install it on a mech, and in doing so also consume a module slot that could be used for actual useful modules.

It's sad that the game doesn't try in the least to inform you how these things work, but honestly, don't buy them. You're wasting xp and cbills.

#5 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

View Postcrossflip, on 13 May 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

After purchasing you need to spend ~2mil or more C-Bills to install it on a mech, and in doing so also consume a module slot that could be used for actual useful modules.

It's sad that the game doesn't try in the least to inform you how these things work, but honestly, don't buy them. You're wasting xp and cbills.

This is debatable. I have a few of the weapon range modules, and when I'm just pugging to grind c-bills they're not that bad. I'd still generally take a few of the other modules first, but if I've got the room I'll toss on the range module for my main weapon. I don't generally use them in any sort of competition drop, though. Coolshot and strikes are far better.

To answer to OP's question, though, I don't think the range modules apply to ER or Pulse versions - only the standard ones.

Edited by DEMAX51, 13 May 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#6 DmOcRsi

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 13 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

To answer to OP's question, though, I don't think the range modules apply to ER or Pulse versions - only the standard ones.

I use the ER Large Laser as my primary on a few mechs so the 500GXP isn't that much and the 3,000,000 C-Bills... well that comes and goes anyway so it doesn't matter. I don't see the range being represented on either the ER or Non-ER LL... like on the stats when you purchase... so I didn't know and I guess there's no real way to find out, right?

#7 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostDmOcRsi, on 13 May 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

I use the ER Large Laser as my primary on a few mechs so the 500GXP isn't that much and the 3,000,000 C-Bills... well that comes and goes anyway so it doesn't matter. I don't see the range being represented on either the ER or Non-ER LL... like on the stats when you purchase... so I didn't know and I guess there's no real way to find out, right?

Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer, but the Smurfy website doesn't list any stat adjustments to the ERLL for that module, so I'm going to guess that it doesn't.

Edited by DEMAX51, 13 May 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

The ER module does not affect the ERLL. It affects the regular LL. When you drop in a mech equipped with that module, and LLs, you will see your LL range increased. You can't see the range increase in the mechbay, as it does not factor in modules. Only base stats.

As for whether or not they are viable. The ML, SPL, LBX, AMS, Streak, and MG ones are the most viable. Many people don't realize that these modules currently upgrade to 2 tiers, however they will go up to either 5 or 10 I believe. Also, increasing the range, increases the damage output once you are past optimal range. Meaning your ML will deal more damage beyond 270 Meters with the module than without.

However, the heat increase is something that needs to be factored in. These modules are not easy to use, or a simple purchase. Their price is too much in my opinion, however, if you have a build that doesn't mind the extra heat generated, and have the module space, you might as well slap one in. I use the ER Medium Laser one on my Ember (4MGs generate no heat, and 4 MLs on chain fire are easy to manage)

The ER module for Large Lasers can be very viable if you plan on being a sniper mech and not engage in close range battles. Considering in that set up you will only need 2 modules really: Adv. Zoom, and Target Info Gathering. The third slot from a mastered mech could go to either the ER module, or a Seismic Sensor.

#9 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

None of the modules are really worth the extra heat. So - the AMS one is solid - especially if you have double AMS. I suppose the machine gun one would be okay. The rest are rather bad.

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 13 May 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

None of the modules are really worth the extra heat. So - the AMS one is solid - especially if you have double AMS. I suppose the machine gun one would be okay. The rest are rather bad.

On the contrary, the heat is insignificant in a lot of them.

A better description would be "situational" not bad. They all have their uses. I think once they release the next 2 tiers, the modules will be more viable. As they are right now, they are situational, not bad.

#11 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Don't buy the weapon modules. I find that other modules are way more useful.
  • Target Info gathering helps getting information on which body section to shoot. This really helps out in a tense situation.
  • Advanced zoom helps with picking off sections, even at medium range. This will kill mechs more efficiently.
  • Target decay is invaluable when using LRMs. It gives your LRMs 3 seconds to hit their target after you lose lock (assuming you are the spotter).
  • Seismic is the next best thing to a wall hack when standing still.
This will not give you a direct advantage, you'll have to learn how to use targeting information, but once you've got that, you'll do more damage that way then the extra range could ever do.

#12 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Generally I agree that pretty much any other module is a better choice on most mechs. But I do run a ML range module on my HBK 4p. If it's gonna be a one trick pony might as well make it the best trick it can be!

#13 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

Yeah, there are a few specific 'Mechs I run 'em on that. I use the AC5 range on my Ilya, the MG range on my Ember, sometimes the AC20 range on my BJ-1.

The real benefit of these modules isn't the extra added distance you can shoot - it's more the slower damage drop-off when you're firing outside of optimum range.

#14 uHBa

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

I buy L.Pulse Laser Range 1 by 3kk C-Bills and install in modules slot. Play ONE game and modules is EMPTY! It's right?
This module work one games? Too much...

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostuHBa, on 16 May 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

I buy L.Pulse Laser Range 1 by 3kk C-Bills and install in modules slot. Play ONE game and modules is EMPTY! It's right?

That should NOT be happening - try contacting support.

#16 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 13 May 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

yes, on a 6MG Jager or Ember or SDR-5K the machine gun module is very good.
same for 3x ac10 cata Ilya since anyway they will be low heat.
and ac20 heat penalty is so high when GH triggers that you are gonna chainfire, so in AC40 builds gaining some range doesn't hurt because you have 2ML or even 0 backup so no heat issues.

OFC there are better modules. but on some mech they might be worth it

on this kind of builds, once you equip the seismic sensor, other modules are nice but not really needed, so you can opt for more range.

but generally they are for people with so much money to trow it around :lol: I got the MG one just for fun because I am out of mechbays.

Edited by fx8320, 16 May 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#17 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostuHBa, on 16 May 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

Did you click "checkout" after installing the module? If you just clicked "home" you probably didn't actually install it. If the module did disappear, contact support@mwomercs.com

#18 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 14 May 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

Yeah, there are a few specific 'Mechs I run 'em on that. I use the AC5 range on my Ilya, the MG range on my Ember, sometimes the AC20 range on my BJ-1.

The real benefit of these modules isn't the extra added distance you can shoot - it's more the slower damage drop-off when you're firing outside of optimum range.

I also run the AC/5 one on my quad AC/5 Jager. That extra bit of range can make a difference.

#19 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:05 PM

Purchase is really dependent on how much you'll use them, how often you'll need that extra boost in range, etc.

I bought them for medium lasers since they're my most-used weapons.

#20 uHBa

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 16 May 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Did you click "checkout" after installing the module? If you just clicked "home" you probably didn't actually install it. If the module did disappear, contact support@mwomercs.com

Yes, I press "checkout", my C-Bills is decrease.
L.Pulse Laser Range worked as SensorRange? One time buy and use always?
IraqiWalker thank you, I will write in support.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users