Suggestions For Improving Fps?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Hattrick

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm looking for advise on improving my fps. Currently I get about 30fps on high with shadows down. It's not the greatest set up, but it's worked well for me, I'd just like it to work a bit better. I'm looking for upgrade suggestions, gpu etc... Any advice is appreciated!

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: GA-790XT-USB3

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 925 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68B8)

Display Memory: 2809 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1017 MB

Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

#2 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hi!

It`s already commonly known that MWO (like almost every new game ou there) is quite heavy on the GPU, while a quad core with ~ 3GHz and more should be enough for MWO. So you should be perfectly fine with your CPU.
I would recommend, upgrading your Graphics card. This will almost certainly do the trick on your system.

I also have a 5770 running at stock speeds (was OCed but Mass Effect overtaxed my card so i had to reduce it) and an almost identical CPU and RAM config (Phenom II X4 955BE at 3,7GHz and 4gigs OCZ RAM at 1300MHz and CL6 timing) and I am running the game on minimum details for maximum performance.
I borrowed a Radeon 7770 from a friend of mine, he got off ebay for 38 bucks! and with that upgrade alone i managed to run MWO on everything high at a constant 60FPS locked due to full window mode which i highly recommend you to do anyways, as it reduces the maximum FPS to 60. With this your graphics card wont have to render things faster and the performance is a lot smoother.

Radeon 7870s are already brand new available for less than 230 bucks and that Graphics card should handle MWO nicely even on Ultra if you dont get super nerdy with triple monitor or more than 1920x1080 resolution.

Edit:

The 7870 should be able to run MWO on even higher res on everything Ultra.
The upgrade hirarchy for you should look something like this: Graphics card -> CPU -> RAM, but my guesstimation is that your problem is solved entirely by upgrading to a proper graphics card. Go for a card that has at least 2 Gigabyte of DDR5 RAM and 256 bit memory bus speed.

Edited by Erasus Magnus, 26 July 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#3 Hattrick

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Erasus for the tip, much appreciated!

Edited by Hattrick, 26 July 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Juicebox12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

MWO is highly cpu dependent and your cpu is both inefficient per clock cycle and running at a low frequency. Upgrading your video card would probably net you far less of a performance increase then a new cpu or overclocking would do until dx11 is implemented.

#5 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

http://www.game-deba...nIt=Mechwarrior

http://www.game-deba...arrior%20Online

According to the site linked above, both CPU and GPU are probably equally problematic.

From my own experience i would assume it is the graphics card. Anyways, if you upgrade your cpu, the graphics card will be the next bottleneck very shortly and vice versa.
and by upgrading the cpu, the motherbord needs to be replaced, too.

@ Hattrick: Try overclocking the CPU, if you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, you should be fine with going for 3.2 ghz at least without overvolting. If this doesnt help, then you could borrow a more potent graphics card from someone and test if this yields any significant performance gain. If you arent tight on a budget, just buy yourself a new motherboard, CPU and GPU. Dont forget to upgrade your power supply as well if it isnt actually suited for your new setup. :)

If you want a more educated view on your rig and your upgrade priorities, i kindly refer you to Vulpesveritas. He is the Hardware nerd here in the Forums and can give you a good advice or two what you should do next. He absolutely knows EVERYTHING about hardware, so you are in good hands with him.

http://mwomercs.com/...-vulpes-guides/

so long

Era

Edit: Oh, you can also just slam every graphics option on low and enjoy MWO with your current setup!
you should, however
set MWO to run in full windowed mode to smooth out the FPS and put the following command line into your user.cfg:
e_ViewDistRatioCustom = 100

" sets view distance for the "custom" group, which basically can be whatever objects and stuff are set to be in that group, but it seems the mechs are in that group, as setting this to 10 means you can't see mechs until they are right in your face...ie it wont render them."

Edited by Erasus Magnus, 26 July 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#6 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Free things to try:

Try razer game booster. I used it when I was at 12fps and needed everything I could.

Also, try dropping your windows visual settings down low as they can go.

Finally, match your screen resolution to your monitor, and run in full screen mode.

#7 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

it would be better to run in full windowed mode. it limits the fps to 60, preventing large leaps in fps and freeing up a bit of resources for a more steady performance.

#8 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

MWO at this time under Dirext X 9 is heavily CPU dependent.

This has been stated, tested and verified on these forums a million times.

30FPS on your current machine is about right for its power, it's on the low end of the spectrum these days and your going to be in that terrible zone, of it being both CPU/GPU limits.

My advice your ok for now, hang in there till DX 11 which from the latest Dev blog is hitting test servers soon, this will shift some work away from the CPU onto the GPU.

In the mean time, you can try running the game entirely on low settings, test your FPS if it is not substantially increasing, your CPU is the bottle neck.
Then test on maximum and note the difference, it should give you an indication as to which upgrade is going to be more worth it.

#9 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

I agree with my friend above, DX11 next month will change your needs completely, just hang on for bit.

#10 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

30 fps is generally good

even higher spec system do suffer from fps drop when the actions heats up

reducing the res while keeping the details high might improve the framrate abit but this game is not even close to stable

when this game finally use DX11 then a big upgrade to your system will be better

#11 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

I play MWO on very high settings and manage between 35-60 fps.
My CPU is a Phenom 965 at stock 3,4 GHz.
The GPU is a not very expensive Radeon 7850.
The improvement i got when I dumped my old Radeon 4870 was huge. From medium to maxdetails and a great increase in framerate.
Similar to Erasus Magnus experiences with his friends 7770.

A 57xx as your shouldn't be much different in performance then a 4870, so I would recommend you a GPU upgrade, just go for the actual best bang for your bucks modell, which should be a 7850.

I run my CPU on other games (Planetside 2 anyone ;-) ) at 4 GHz with just aircooling, so if you have a blackedition with a free multiplicator in your Bios you could test a stronger CPU, or just overclock a little bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users