• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostDracol, on 29 July 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Welcome to the battlefield.

A note about BAP. As stated prior, it increases sensor range. What is invaluable about this is the fact you can target mechs for lrms at a range beyond what the enemy can target you at (unless they too have bap). A good number of pilots rely on their targeting computer to find targets to shoot at instead of their good old Mark II Eyeballs.

But the Mk.II Eyeballs are really OP when used properly. Thanks for the welcome as well! Thinking of unlocking the Module for Sensor range on my Raven first. Since that would suit it best.

#22 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostscJazz, on 29 July 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Hey Aaron... based on what you have already... this might be a good next step for your Raven.

RVN-3L Aaron

Includes DSHS which are expensive and non-refundable also basically required for any mech. It uses the same Engine you have and similar weapon loadouts. Do not ever use a NARC ever! The BAP on your setup is more or less useless. All it is doing is increasing your targeting range from 800m to 1000m and giving you target status info faster. TAG is one of those strange bits of equipment for a mech that isn't using LRMs. You think right now that it is a part of your Recon purpose. To some degree it is... but light mechs on the Battlefield are rarely using it correctly. So here is some perspective from the LRM Support Pilot.

I won't fire on a target that is TAGged immediately. In fact if I have anything better to do I might not fire on it at all. Why? Because TAG in the hands of the unskilled is counter-productive. People TAG a target then run around lose lock forget to aim it for the required flight time of my LRMs (2 to 8 seconds depending on range), rush out into the battlefield and TAG the first thing they see not realizing I'm still 1500m away and well out of range, and generally screw things up.

I will take notice of the fact that you have a TAG. If you fire it while we are on our Spawn point I'll even take notice of who has it and might even follow you as long as you go in the right direction. I'll consider carefully firing on your TAG if you have held it on your target. If I see that your target is another Light mech I'll probably fire on it because that means your dueling him and anything I can do to hose his concentration is a good thing. If you are going to use it then use it well. Take notice of where I'm firing LRMs from, don't TAG the guy who is hiding behind the rock. I can't hit him anyway and any time I spend firing on him is a waste. Try not to TAG everything! TAG the dude you know will suffer if I lob my salvo at him. If you run around TAGging everything I'm just going to ignore you.

Of course all of this TAG advice comes from a dedicated and good LRM support pilot. Sadly, there are not that many of us so... yeah... you run around TAGging things one of my sub-par brethren will scream "SQUIRREL" and fire on it.

No the best bit of advice for now is just don't use it :) Grab a Medium Laser instead. The way LRMs work you just holding your lock on a target is enough to get me to fire on him.

I can understand your POV with this. Especially since your the one running a LRM Support. And it makes sense-since most people I know haven't used my TAG's when I have had them locked on for nearly 30-45 seconds. I usually try and sneak around behind enemies to get near their supporters or snipers and help the LRM enthusiasts like yourself nail them from behind their low-rise hill which they keep hiding behind. Most of the time I only use it when I know the target is good, will be mostly still, and not expecting an attack. It's mostly a common sense thing, and your right, until I get a group to roll with-it may be best I don't run the TAG.

Anyway, thank you for the great abundance of info! Will look into using that Raven build once I got some more C-Bills in my wallet and can properly start tinkering with more and more stuff.

Edited by AaronWolf, 29 July 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#23 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 29 July 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I can understand your POV with this. Especially since your the one running a LRM Support. And it makes sense-since most people I know haven't used my TAG's when I have had them locked on for nearly 30-45 seconds. I usually try and sneak around behind enemies to get near their supporters or snipers and help the LRM enthusiasts like yourself nail them from behind their low-rise hill which they keep hiding behind. Most of the time I only use it when I know the target is good, will be mostly still, and not expecting an attack. It's mostly a common sense thing, and your right, until I get a group to roll with-it may be best I don't run the TAG.

Anyway, thank you for the great abundance of info! Will look into using that Raven build once I got some more C-Bills in my wallet and can properly start tinkering with more and more stuff.

I forgot something in my TAG post... I was too negative.

If you are using it well you will know it. 100 LRMs will fall out of the sky from 3 different directions and turn your target into a smoking crater.

When you see that happen you will know with total certainly that you were doing it right :)

#24 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostscJazz, on 29 July 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

I forgot something in my TAG post... I was too negative.

If you are using it well you will know it. 100 LRMs will fall out of the sky from 3 different directions and turn your target into a smoking crater.

When you see that happen you will know with total certainly that you were doing it right :)

It rarely happens. I usually have to tap Y and tell them "Hey guys, sniper on the wire, let the LRMS loose." Even have to give grid coords (D4 and such) sometimes for people to believe me. More then once I have netted our Supports some kills from the heavy barrage of missiles they rain down on those "Sit and Shoot"-ers.

#25 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

Sensor Range + BAP = much bigger range increase.

Regarding the RVN-4X, if you don't like Jump Jets on any Mech, just remove them. On the 4X, you get back 2.5 tons for something else you may like better. Just because you can use JJ on a Mech doesn't mean you have to.

Before purchasing Mechs and modifying, I would suggest doing it on an outside site like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
Doing your mods here, one thing you can see is the cost before purchasing including any modifications you make, also includes a lot of useful data.

#26 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostMerchant, on 29 July 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

Sensor Range + BAP = much bigger range increase.

Regarding the RVN-4X, if you don't like Jump Jets on any Mech, just remove them. On the 4X, you get back 2.5 tons for something else you may like better. Just because you can use JJ on a Mech doesn't mean you have to.

Before purchasing Mechs and modifying, I would suggest doing it on an outside site like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
Doing your mods here, one thing you can see is the cost before purchasing including any modifications you make, also includes a lot of useful data.

It's not that I dislike JJ's, and the fact that they are there. It's the fact their on a Raven, and from a fluff point at the timeline were in-it's rather out of the blue that a Raven has JJ's at all. Atleast by my knowledge. I grew up with the VanillaRaven, with little to no armor, slower then most of the other Light's, but having more weapons and electronic warfare gear you could beat the enemy to death with the long-list rapsheet it had. Probably only need the first two chapters to do it.

I personally love JJ's on Jenner's and other light's, just it feels weird on a Raven for me. It's a derpy thing I got. And yeah, I plan to start using Smurfy more. It will be really useful for builds.

#27 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 29 July 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I personally love JJ's on Jenner's and other light's, just it feels weird on a Raven for me. It's a derpy thing I got.

Now imagine how I feel in my Atlas, Spiders/Jenners and Cicada's I can handle, flying Ravens though always seem to be the bane of my life..Ho Hum!

:)

#28 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostRascula, on 29 July 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Now imagine how I feel in my Atlas, Spiders/Jenners and Cicada's I can handle, flying Ravens though always seem to be the bane of my life..Ho Hum!

:)

FLYING DEVIL PIGEONS! HEEERRGLE!

Posted Image

#29 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 29 July 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

It's not that I dislike JJ's, and the fact that they are there. It's the fact their on a Raven, and from a fluff point at the timeline were in-it's rather out of the blue that a Raven has JJ's at all. Atleast by my knowledge. I grew up with the VanillaRaven, with little to no armor, slower then most of the other Light's, but having more weapons and electronic warfare gear you could beat the enemy to death with the long-list rapsheet it had. Probably only need the first two chapters to do it.

I personally love JJ's on Jenner's and other light's, just it feels weird on a Raven for me. It's a derpy thing I got. And yeah, I plan to start using Smurfy more. It will be really useful for builds.

RVN-4X - A Capellan variant of the original prototype, the -4X was an attempt to turn the chassis into a pure combat unit. It removes the EW equipment and is outfitted with five jump jets and two Machine Guns with a ton of ammunition. The armor was increased to the chassis' limit of seven tons.

#30 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 29 July 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

RVN-4X - A Capellan variant of the original prototype, the -4X was an attempt to turn the chassis into a pure combat unit. It removes the EW equipment and is outfitted with five jump jets and two Machine Guns with a ton of ammunition. The armor was increased to the chassis' limit of seven tons.

Well...tarnation. Thank's for the info Red. That...I just never knew that there was a JJ version. Always assumed it was a grounded bird. It's nice to know though. Still feels weird to me.

Edit: Darnit. Realized I assumed it to be that way. >_> If I had a character sheet, I would have "Stupidity" under the Perk's section.

Edited by AaronWolf, 29 July 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#31 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Just a heads up... all of the Stock configs of all our mechs come direct from Canon Record Sheets. So... if you can't play it using L2 rules in a TT Tournament... we don't have it.

#32 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostscJazz, on 29 July 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Just a heads up... all of the Stock configs of all our mechs come direct from Canon Record Sheets. So... if you can't play it using L2 rules in a TT Tournament... we don't have it.

That is good to know. Thank you!

#33 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Nice to seem some positivity. The game really is getting there.

#34 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

Interesting personality you have there. I am glad you like the game. I feel the very same way and can't wait to see the progression.

#35 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

I used to play ravens alot during closed beta, the 4X specifically, basically was a LRM20 that could fly and had sprouted legs. (I was especially fond of the largest building across the river on River City map, as the stuff on top of the building is plenty tall enough to hide a raven behind.)

Though that was ages ago, iv not been a turkey jockey in quite some time but if I could squeeze a missile rack onto my Blackjack Id be damn tempted. -_-

#36 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 29 July 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Nice to seem some positivity. The game really is getting there.

Thank you! I try to stay positive-which is why I usually try and stay away from most community forums. They get negative a lot of the time, and so far everyone here seems rather upbeat. So it's easier to be myself. Plan to continue this flow of positive en-nahhh-geee-cooo in the barracks thread after I complete this week of gaming.

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 29 July 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Interesting personality you have there. I am glad you like the game. I feel the very same way and can't wait to see the progression.

Just wait...the further down the rabbit hole you go, the worse it get's. Thank you as well! and I'm glad I like the game as well! I have high hopes for Piranha/IGP doing this stuff good! And got to thank the amazing BETA/ALPHA testers who worked on this game and have brought it here to this point.

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 July 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

I used to play ravens alot during closed beta, the 4X specifically, basically was a LRM20 that could fly and had sprouted legs. (I was especially fond of the largest building across the river on River City map, as the stuff on top of the building is plenty tall enough to hide a raven behind.)

Though that was ages ago, iv not been a turkey jockey in quite some time but if I could squeeze a missile rack onto my Blackjack Id be damn tempted. ;)

Oooooh, you just gave me a good idea. Sniper-Pigeon. I may have a use for the 4X come the time I pilot it. Though, your Blackjack doesn't really need LRM's though, you could just put some Gauss/AC's on him and just do that. Could still snipe from a distance like that. -_- Hell, if you got the one which can load itself up with PPC's, that sounds like it could be a blast! Literally.

#37 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

One of the things frequently missed about Ballistics is that it is really hard to see where the shots are coming from.

Missiles... yeah big giant cloud came from thattaway!
Energy... yeah beam of light came from exactly there!
Ballistics... wtf?

#38 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostscJazz, on 30 July 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

One of the things frequently missed about Ballistics is that it is really hard to see where the shots are coming from.

Missiles... yeah big giant cloud came from thattaway!
Energy... yeah beam of light came from exactly there!
Ballistics... wtf?

Then I may just put a AC/2 or 5 on my 4X and just plink at people. Would be a hilarious experience. XD

#39 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 30 July 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

Then I may just put a AC/2 or 5 on my 4X and just plink at people. Would be a hilarious experience. XD

only problem there is that AC2/5 need constant exposure to do their damage, something which is not good to be doing in a light mech with light armor. If you're serious about going heavy ballistics on a raven your best bets are either Gauss or UAC5 (since the latter you can just spam fire until you jam then seek cover again while they unjam).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...35bbf566a3071cf

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 30 July 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#40 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 30 July 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

only problem there is that AC2/5 need constant exposure to do their damage, something which is not good to be doing in a light mech with light armor. If you're serious about going heavy ballistics on a raven your best bets are either Gauss or UAC5 (since the latter you can just spam fire until you jam then seek cover again while they unjam).

I may try to fit on a UAC5 for fun. Just to see how it works. Since it seem's a lot like the one from MW4Merc's so far, it jam's on overuse and can pelt out shot faster then the regular 5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users