60 replies to this topic

#1 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

EDIT:Hey guy's, gonna shove the link into my series BONUS LEVEL into here, so you can easily find it.

Episode TU: http://mwomercs.com/...ven-they-hatin/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello and good afternoon fellow Mechwarriors! Well, maybe it's just morningtime-or even evening for you when reading this! So, yeah. Good OmniTime.

You see, I usually don't like writing reviews; or thoughts for that matter on what I like and dislike. Usually I am quiet when joining videogame communities, and not wishing to involve myself with the screaming masses of lunatic gamers who's only capable speech pattern resembles that of a malnourished monkey and a half eaten banana who watched too much Nyan-Cat.

MW:O has succinctly changed that.

So far I have felt welcome, and treated respect-even with my mentally addled questions at times.

Now, I've come from playing the old MW games, and played MWMerc's until MekTek stopped running servers, I also have played the TT for years. So I am not "New" to BT. Just new to MWO and its take on MW.

All I can say is that...Piranha and all you tester's have been doing a great job! I'm very happy with the game as a whole. Only minor gripes (NerdRageMoments) here and there. But nothing really stands out as a "This is Bad" situation to me.

Within three day's of almost near constant playing. (Friday, Saturday and Sunday.) I walked away with the feeling of never wanting to leave my chair and continue contributing in the action with my fellow warriors. Somehow you guy's managed to capture the feeling of MW nearly perfect.

Now, I plan to add a few sections in brackets down below this, so you can read up on my first three day's of experience here, if you want to know all the grimey details. Otherwise, this message ends HERE.

Thank's for reading, and thank you guy's for being an awesome community to play with/work with.

-A.Wolf

P.S. If you plan to read all that's below this, have a song to listen to:

Edit: Don't know why, but music disappeared. Did I vio the ToS or something by placing music on here? If I did, SORRY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1. Step One, Fire. Step Two, Run.

Now, I know there are some people out there going "Whatwhat?" at that title. Just hear me out. You know how it is when you go out on a date the first time with someone you really liked and then figure out that your brain goes blank every second you try talking to them?

That doesn't have anything to do with what I am trying to say: BACK ON TOPIC! *Smacks head on desk*

Against all sanity, I picked the "Light" mech on trial this week-The Commando 2D for my first few matches. And even though the name shares its like with that of Ahnoold Scwarztnoooger, be sure to understand that no matter how many headbands you wear-your not invincible.

And yeah, I didin't expect to be-though I was expecting a little more armor then the likes of tissue paper with freshly blown nostril fluid wiped all over it.

This did put me off for awhile, until I got the hang of it again. Learning to dart in and out of cover, breaking LoS as much as I could when my heat was up. The usual piloting things.

I loved it. And I sunk hours into playing because of that little robot. And as I love light mechs in general, I wouldn't switch to any of the other mechs-because that's just me. Running was my best defense. Even though most of my weapons were ironically designed for close range brawling.

So yeah, the first day was awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2. My Eyes...THEY DON'T WORK ANYMORE!

Okay, if day 1 was "Fun Day", day 2 was "Ultra Fun Cake Day, But The Cake Is A Lie." to me. I had enough C-Bill's to buy anyone of the mechs on the market. And I bought the one mech I have loved since the very beginning. The Raven. Namely the Raven 3L.

Why you ask? Because I can frak up peoples awareness on the battlefield with ECM and BAP...atleast I thought I could.

When I read the descriptions of both after buying the Mech, I was confused, hurt, and disappointed. Then I had a epiphany! "I will see how it is in a match! The tooltip is probably wrong!" So, I instantly que'd for a match.

Lo an Behold-Nothing changed. ECM was not ECM. BAP wasn't BAP. I felt lied to by myself and the purpose of both of my favorite electronic warfare weapons of annoyance.

Though that is to just look at the negative. I had my Raven. And I was loving it anyway. Sneaking around pot-shotting and harassing enemies from a distance with my ERLLAS. Spotting enemies for my team. Getting out of dodge when the hounds were unleashed! The cake may have been a lie, but that lie was still good enough for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 3. I feel...dirty.

Now by this point, I managed to save enough C-Bill's to finally buy another Raven variant! I choose the 4X. Oh how I regret doing that.

Before you go "Oh, it's because its the hardest variant to use!" or some other jibbering of that kind, understand-that's not the issue.

The issue is: Raven with Jumpjets. RAVEN WITH JUMPJETS. THIS CONFUSED ME! To such a degree that I could only play it one match (Albeit a good match) before having to set it down and stare at my screen for a good long while before going back to my 3L.

I will pick it back up once I max my 3L, and then when I buy my 2X and finish that, I will save the 4X for when I have need of some change in my Raven-loving-way's.

So yeah, I felt dirty after using JJ's on a Raven. Sue me.

Otherwise, great day to say the least! Got more used to the weird and magical ways or ECM/BAP and began going on regular killing sprees with my 3L. Upping my KDR from it's horrible .34 to .67 in half a day's time. Like KDR really matters when you play a scout-it's all about the assists! And I am surprised they don't track assists here. Hrm.

Posted Image

Edited by AaronWolf, 05 August 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#2 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Welcome to MWO and I'm glad to see your enjoying the game as much as the rest of us! (even though your a Raven pilot)

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Welcome aboard Aaronwolf!

If you have any questions, you've come to the right place. I'm sorry if some of your purchases have been dissapointing, but here's a tip: There are some great resources available for mech, weapon, and equipment information. My personal favorite is Smurfy's but there are others (mwowiki, mechromancer, etc) http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

At Smurfy's, you can look up every mech and variant. Look at it's default equipment, look at it's hardpoints, it's maximum torso twist angel, it's maximum speed before and after speed tweak, weapon stats, module stats, everything. It also has a mechlab function where you can test-build any mech you like.

I'm not sure what it is about ECM and BAP that's not quite to your liking, but they are powerful pieces of equipment and vital to a proper 3L build. (less so for the BAP). ECM has changed over the past few months, but it till has a lot of tricks up it's sleeve. Note that you need to toggle it from a protective mode to a countering mode if you need to counter an enemy ECM (J by default) and note that BAP now is a hard counter to ECM so thee are many more mechs capable of piercing the ECM veil.

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

Welcome aboard sir!
Glad to hear everything went well. In regards to the 4x, I kind of miss it because i sold mine a while ago. I loved packing around an AC2 and SRM's around. I might rebuy the mech. But one thing is for sure, don't sell anything. weapons and mechs included. I sold a few mechs by accident because I didn't have the MC to buy a mech bay (should have just bought MC) and now I'm hitting myself.

Great story and write up! Hope to see you out there :)

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 29 July 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#5 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 29 July 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO and I'm glad to see your enjoying the game as much as the rest of us! (even though your a Raven pilot)

Thanks for the welcome! And what's wrong with piloting a Raven? I love my Counter-Intelligence-Devil-Pidgeon.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 29 July 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Welcome aboard Aaronwolf!

If you have any questions, you've come to the right place. I'm sorry if some of your purchases have been dissapointing, but here's a tip: There are some great resources available for mech, weapon, and equipment information. My personal favorite is Smurfy's but there are others (mwowiki, mechromancer, etc) http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

At Smurfy's, you can look up every mech and variant. Look at it's default equipment, look at it's hardpoints, it's maximum torso twist angel, it's maximum speed before and after speed tweak, weapon stats, module stats, everything. It also has a mechlab function where you can test-build any mech you like.

I'm not sure what it is about ECM and BAP that's not quite to your liking, but they are powerful pieces of equipment and vital to a proper 3L build. (less so for the BAP). ECM has changed over the past few months, but it till has a lot of tricks up it's sleeve. Note that you need to toggle it from a protective mode to a countering mode if you need to counter an enemy ECM (J by default) and note that BAP now is a hard counter to ECM so thee are many more mechs capable of piercing the ECM veil.

Thank you for the information links. Though on the ECM/BAP thing. It's mostly because my knowledge of ECM is to confuse sensors (creating ghost targets on maps, flooding the map with 'red's', also making piloting equipment malfunction) beyond what it already does. And with BAP, it's kinda...like the one I am use to (TT/MW4), with sensing targets beyond wall's and other thingzies. So far it seem's far too reliant on LoS to be considered worth running. I could run a TAG (which I do anyway) and use myself as a giant laserpointer for my team's LRM's, rather then using the BAP-Which is all I am using for it now. Helping my LRM-supporters.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 29 July 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Welcome aboard sir!
Glad to hear everything went well. In regards to the 4x, I kind of miss it because i sold mine a while ago. I loved packing around an AC2 and SRM's around. I might rebuy the mech. But one thing is for sure, don't sell anything. weapons and mechs included. I sold a few mechs by accident because I didn't have the MC to buy a mech bay (should have just bought MC) and now I'm hitting myself.

Great story and write up! Hope to see you out there :)

Thanks! Hope to see you out there as well!
And I will try to save up a bit for some extra bay's, since I am bound to buy myself a Hunchback set. Then I will fill my two favorite styles of play. The info is much appreciated!

#6 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Welcome to MWO. You'll be just fine. In fact, you'll do more than to just be fine. You'll do great and have fun doing it ;-). See you around the battlefield!

#7 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostItsalrightwithme, on 29 July 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO. You'll be just fine. In fact, you'll do more than to just be fine. You'll do great and have fun doing it ;-). See you around the battlefield!

Thank you for the welcome! I am having fun so far, and probably won't stop for many...many...maaaaannnnyyyy...moons.

Will probably run into you at some point while out there in the field, and may it be a duel to be sung about in the great annals of time!

#8 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

From another old BT fan: Welcome.

If you interested, there's quite a history to ECM on the boards, and in patch notes.

It feels more balanced now than what it was - ECM used to only be countered by ECM. Then tag started to counter it, then ranges were changed, then BAP countered it....slowly, it has evolved from a huge 1.5 ton blanket that could hide/shield an entire team to something a little more manageable in an MMO.

#9 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostKazly, on 29 July 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

From another old BT fan: Welcome.

If you interested, there's quite a history to ECM on the boards, and in patch notes.

It feels more balanced now than what it was - ECM used to only be countered by ECM. Then tag started to counter it, then ranges were changed, then BAP countered it....slowly, it has evolved from a huge 1.5 ton blanket that could hide/shield an entire team to something a little more manageable in an MMO.

Interesting. *Rubs chin* Anyone got some links so I can see the story unfold? If not, I shall go on a quest to find them myself.

And thank you for the welcome! :)

Edited by AaronWolf, 29 July 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#10 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Welcome to MWO Aaron,
I know how you feel about the game not tracking assists. It ticked me off at the beginning and still does in a way because of my playstyle (LRM Support). Then I learned that KDR is not the measure of how good you are, it is WLR!

Glad to see you are enjoying your Raven 3L. Saddened by the fact that you aren't playing the 4X. Jump Jets are a required piece of equipment for me. I accidentally launched two games last week in the Commando and wanted to tear my eyeballs out. Once you go JJ you never go back!

ECM and BAP TT rules do not translate well to a Simulator. Others will gripe but I kind of like the way they work right now. Denying enemy LRM locks for your friends is a nice thing to do plus it denies Target Status info so the enemy doesn't know that my Left Leg is barely attached. Because I pilot LRM Boats almost exclusively I always have used BAP so I can't tell you how good it is, only that when I don't have it on one of my Mechs I get twitchy.

Here is a Raven 3L design for you from Smurfy's. You might as well Bookmark Smurfy and MechSpecs now. I won't post the links again cause Redshift already did.

RVN-3L

I'm not actually suggesting you use this design. I just slapped it together to give you a sense of the tool. There are some things worth noting about it though.

1 ) XL275 Engine... why? If you are going to thump down the cash for an XL Engine you might want to consider buying only those engines which are a multiple of 25. MWO uses the "free heat sink" rules, kinda, so as you can see above the 275 rating gets a free heat sink stored in the engine. 300 gets 2, 325 gets 3, and 200 has to place 2 of them somewhere in the Locations. The max engine for this Raven is 295 which is a bloody waste of CBills. Unless you are rich!

2 ) Streaks plus Artemis! Yeah the rules say they don't go together but since Streaks and LRMs use the same missile lock routine you will lock faster with Artemis than without. This can be very important when you are doing 140kph.

3 ) I removed armor from the head. ZOMG WHUT! Yeah... Raven's are small and fast... nothing is going to hit you in the head unless you are standing still. SRMs, Streaks, LRMs... not a problem with the 1 in 36 chance of head hits. Normally I strip armor from the legs but then again I never pilot lights and I always aim for a lights legs so yeah... bad idea in this case.

4 ) WTF Ammo in the head? Yeah... always! With none of the 1 in 36 TAC rules blah blah blah the safest place to store ammo is in the head.

5 ) No AMS??? Yup, pointless basically, light mechs going 100kph+ are near impossible to hit with LRMs anyway so screw it.

6 ) No BAP??? Yeah... pftttt... not on a Mech with ECM!

Anyway... hope this helps... small primer on mech design plus advice plus greeting plus Smurfy.

This is a good post!

#11 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 29 July 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Thanks! Hope to see you out there as well!
And I will try to save up a bit for some extra bay's, since I am bound to buy myself a Hunchback set. Then I will fill my two favorite styles of play. The info is much appreciated!

Let me know when you get them, we can rock out in our hunchies for a couple rounds

#12 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

ECM... oh ECM how we love and hate you.. Trust me though its a lot better than it was!

Welcome aboard :)

#13 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Welcome to the battlefield mechwarrior!

First of all I loved the story, you should do a continuance of it on the Barracks forums.

Secondly I am glad that you are enjoying the game! It always seems that we hear about the ones that HATE the game after the first couple matches. It looks like you got the feel for piloting a light and seem to be doing well which is awesome. As you play you will learn other small things that will go a long way in improving your game. As it was said earlier, if you have a question don't be afraid to ask. There are plenty of other players that will be more than happy to share their experiences and tactics.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 29 July 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

But one thing is for sure, don't sell anything. weapons and mechs included.

Can not agree with this more. First mech I bought was a Centurion, played for a bit then sold it for my Jagermech. I miss that Centurion. ;)

Feel free to drop me an invite in game, just don't expect me to be good. :)

Good luck on the battlefield,
Greywolf

#14 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostscJazz, on 29 July 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO Aaron,
I know how you feel about the game not tracking assists. It ticked me off at the beginning and still does in a way because of my playstyle (LRM Support). Then I learned that KDR is not the measure of how good you are, it is WLR!

Glad to see you are enjoying your Raven 3L. Saddened by the fact that you aren't playing the 4X. Jump Jets are a required piece of equipment for me. I accidentally launched two games last week in the Commando and wanted to tear my eyeballs out. Once you go JJ you never go back!

ECM and BAP TT rules do not translate well to a Simulator. Others will gripe but I kind of like the way they work right now. Denying enemy LRM locks for your friends is a nice thing to do plus it denies Target Status info so the enemy doesn't know that my Left Leg is barely attached. Because I pilot LRM Boats almost exclusively I always have used BAP so I can't tell you how good it is, only that when I don't have it on one of my Mechs I get twitchy.

Here is a Raven 3L design for you from Smurfy's. You might as well Bookmark Smurfy and MechSpecs now. I won't post the links again cause Redshift already did.

RVN-3L

I'm not actually suggesting you use this design. I just slapped it together to give you a sense of the tool. There are some things worth noting about it though.

1 ) XL275 Engine... why? If you are going to thump down the cash for an XL Engine you might want to consider buying only those engines which are a multiple of 25. MWO uses the "free heat sink" rules, kinda, so as you can see above the 275 rating gets a free heat sink stored in the engine. 300 gets 2, 325 gets 3, and 200 has to place 2 of them somewhere in the Locations. The max engine for this Raven is 295 which is a bloody waste of CBills. Unless you are rich!

2 ) Streaks plus Artemis! Yeah the rules say they don't go together but since Streaks and LRMs use the same missile lock routine you will lock faster with Artemis than without. This can be very important when you are doing 140kph.

3 ) I removed armor from the head. ZOMG WHUT! Yeah... Raven's are small and fast... nothing is going to hit you in the head unless you are standing still. SRMs, Streaks, LRMs... not a problem with the 1 in 36 chance of head hits. Normally I strip armor from the legs but then again I never pilot lights and I always aim for a lights legs so yeah... bad idea in this case.

4 ) WTF Ammo in the head? Yeah... always! With none of the 1 in 36 TAC rules blah blah blah the safest place to store ammo is in the head.

5 ) No AMS??? Yup, pointless basically, light mechs going 100kph+ are near impossible to hit with LRMs anyway so screw it.

6 ) No BAP??? Yeah... pftttt... not on a Mech with ECM!

Anyway... hope this helps... small primer on mech design plus advice plus greeting plus Smurfy.

This is a good post!

Yes, that is a good post! All that information is quite useful-right now I am running some less-then-normal-setup on my 3L. I will definitely try the one you posted and Red did. But the one I am using as of this moment:

XL245 engine.
1ERLLAS
1MLAS
1SRM6
GECM
BAP
Armor everywhere...

Maybe I should just put it together on that mechbay-site-building-thing. Probably would be a bit more legible and less frakclusterstupid.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 29 July 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Let me know when you get them, we can rock out in our hunchies for a couple rounds

More then happily. I shall get your attention at some point. Probably by shooting my lasers in the air and screaming "I'm HERE! I'm HERE!"

XD

View PostRascula, on 29 July 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

ECM... oh ECM how we love and hate you.. Trust me though its a lot better than it was!

Welcome aboard :)

Thanks Rascula!

View PostRF Greywolf, on 29 July 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Welcome to the battlefield mechwarrior!

First of all I loved the story, you should do a continuance of it on the Barracks forums.

Secondly I am glad that you are enjoying the game! It always seems that we hear about the ones that HATE the game after the first couple matches. It looks like you got the feel for piloting a light and seem to be doing well which is awesome. As you play you will learn other small things that will go a long way in improving your game. As it was said earlier, if you have a question don't be afraid to ask. There are plenty of other players that will be more than happy to share their experiences and tactics.

Can not agree with this more. First mech I bought was a Centurion, played for a bit then sold it for my Jagermech. I miss that Centurion. B)

Feel free to drop me an invite in game, just don't expect me to be good. ;)

Good luck on the battlefield,
Greywolf

Hey, if you end up on the same team as me-be prepared-you will be hearing a lot of stupidity. I have a tendency to make random comments and forget that I am piloting a giant machine of hazy-death-and-doom.

So yeah, same boat. Don't expect me to be good either. Probably crash into you a couple times just for the heck of it. Sadly, Raven's can't give good hugs-NO ARMS MA.

#15 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 29 July 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Thank you for the information links. Though on the ECM/BAP thing. It's mostly because my knowledge of ECM is to confuse sensors (creating ghost targets on maps, flooding the map with 'red's', also making piloting equipment malfunction) beyond what it already does. And with BAP, it's kinda...like the one I am use to (TT/MW4), with sensing targets beyond wall's and other thingzies. So far it seem's far too reliant on LoS to be considered worth running. I could run a TAG (which I do anyway) and use myself as a giant laserpointer for my team's LRM's, rather then using the BAP-Which is all I am using for it now. Helping my LRM-supporters.

Yes, everything in MWO is based on line of sight, with the exception of the Seismic Sensor. some other modules allow you to keep a lock longer after you lose LOS, or to retain targetting in a 360 radius, but both of those require you (or an ally) to have achieved an initial LoS lock.

Many players who come in from older BT/MW titles need to leave some of their previous experience behind, since MWO has retuned a number of factors, especially when it comes to targetting and sharing of info across the team.

BAP gives you longer targetting range, faster target acquisition, and enables targetting powered down mechs. It can also counter an ECM at close range (but having both an ECM and a BAP only lets you counter 1 ECM at a time and only if your ECM is in counter mode, this function doesn't stack). BAP basically serves two purposes: longer range for LRM mechs, or to block ECM for short-range SSRM locks. Neither are critical to a Raven 3L but are very useful when someone is trying to kill a Raven 3L.

ECM also has many notable changes, and from the point of view of older MW titles it is "missing" many of it's functions. Read up on what it does for MWO :)

#16 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 29 July 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Yes, everything in MWO is based on line of sight, with the exception of the Seismic Sensor. some other modules allow you to keep a lock longer after you lose LOS, or to retain targetting in a 360 radius, but both of those require you (or an ally) to have achieved an initial LoS lock.

Many players who come in from older BT/MW titles need to leave some of their previous experience behind, since MWO has retuned a number of factors, especially when it comes to targetting and sharing of info across the team.

BAP gives you longer targetting range, faster target acquisition, and enables targetting powered down mechs. It can also counter an ECM at close range (but having both an ECM and a BAP only lets you counter 1 ECM at a time and only if your ECM is in counter mode, this function doesn't stack). BAP basically serves two purposes: longer range for LRM mechs, or to block ECM for short-range SSRM locks. Neither are critical to a Raven 3L but are very useful when someone is trying to kill a Raven 3L.

ECM also has many notable changes, and from the point of view of older MW titles it is "missing" many of it's functions. Read up on what it does for MWO :)

I plan to read up more on it. Trying to find the patch notes right now. And with your explanation, I got a better idea on how it works now! Which is very useful for me. So it's not 'as' useless as I thought it was in comparison to how it comes off as. Hopefully my team will make use of the information-since what's the point of being a scout if your information is not used properly?

Thanks for the info man, it helps a lot. ;)

#17 Arkadash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWhere I'm needed

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Welcome! Hearing your fresh perspective on the game is great and somewhat inspiring. It is really easy to get lost in the weeds of min/maxing and forget that we're playing a video game to have fun.

If you need/want company on any of your drops, let me know and I'd be glad to drop with you.

#18 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostArkadash, on 29 July 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Welcome! Hearing your fresh perspective on the game is great and somewhat inspiring. It is really easy to get lost in the weeds of min/maxing and forget that we're playing a video game to have fun.

If you need/want company on any of your drops, let me know and I'd be glad to drop with you.

And it would be fun to drop with you as well! Thanks for the welcome! Anybody who just wants to hang out, just send me an invite and I will drop with you whenever I am on and have the free time! This invitation goes out to all of y'all.

#19 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

Welcome to the battlefield.

A note about BAP. As stated prior, it increases sensor range. What is invaluable about this is the fact you can target mechs for lrms at a range beyond what the enemy can target you at (unless they too have bap). A good number of pilots rely on their targeting computer to find targets to shoot at instead of their good old Mark II Eyeballs.

#20 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hey Aaron... based on what you have already... this might be a good next step for your Raven.

RVN-3L Aaron

Includes DSHS which are expensive and non-refundable also basically required for any mech. It uses the same Engine you have and similar weapon loadouts. Do not ever use a NARC ever! The BAP on your setup is more or less useless. All it is doing is increasing your targeting range from 800m to 1000m and giving you target status info faster. TAG is one of those strange bits of equipment for a mech that isn't using LRMs. You think right now that it is a part of your Recon purpose. To some degree it is... but light mechs on the Battlefield are rarely using it correctly. So here is some perspective from the LRM Support Pilot.

I won't fire on a target that is TAGged immediately. In fact if I have anything better to do I might not fire on it at all. Why? Because TAG in the hands of the unskilled is counter-productive. People TAG a target then run around lose lock forget to aim it for the required flight time of my LRMs (2 to 8 seconds depending on range), rush out into the battlefield and TAG the first thing they see not realizing I'm still 1500m away and well out of range, and generally screw things up.

I will take notice of the fact that you have a TAG. If you fire it while we are on our Spawn point I'll even take notice of who has it and might even follow you as long as you go in the right direction. I'll consider carefully firing on your TAG if you have held it on your target. If I see that your target is another Light mech I'll probably fire on it because that means your dueling him and anything I can do to hose his concentration is a good thing. If you are going to use it then use it well. Take notice of where I'm firing LRMs from, don't TAG the guy who is hiding behind the rock. I can't hit him anyway and any time I spend firing on him is a waste. Try not to TAG everything! TAG the dude you know will suffer if I lob my salvo at him. If you run around TAGging everything I'm just going to ignore you.

Of course all of this TAG advice comes from a dedicated and good LRM support pilot. Sadly, there are not that many of us so... yeah... you run around TAGging things one of my sub-par brethren will scream "SQUIRREL" and fire on it.

No the best bit of advice for now is just don't use it :) Grab a Medium Laser instead. The way LRMs work you just holding your lock on a target is enough to get me to fire on him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users