#2 PraetorRUS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 326 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Simple answer- no.

But you can get it working with some wine magic.

#3 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I highly doubt Wine can pass enough DirectX calls to the kernel to make it worth the effort. And we all know the state of video drivers in Linux is still pitiful when it comes to performance when compared to the native target OS this is supposed to run on.

Heh, this thing barely runs correctly now...never-mind trying to hack it to run on Linux. I have a brand new gtx760...latest drivers, and I still have 'mud' appear on my cockpit view depending on sight elevation in Canyon, and that's aside from flickering textures, poor anti-alias support, shader instability....I could go on.

I hate suggesting this to a Linux user, but maybe a simple Win 7 partition for games is in order, at least until the community(s) gets their s**t together and gets some real performance from current hardware(I know the reasons why, and I just don't care anymore...some 10 years later).

#4 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

It is going to be a lot of work with wine. Cryengine 3 games have been run on it, but it takes knowledge of wine and linux beyond that of a beginner if you want to get it to work.

I have not bothered myself and just do what Henchman suggests and use win7 for games I can't run on ubuntu.

Steam is on Ubuntu now if you didn't know and the list of games available to run native on Ubuntu w/steam is growing.

#5 zinetwin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

There is a linux port of cryengine 3, but no-one is really going to push it since the market isn't that big. Also, as part of PGI's licensing deal they have to stick to windows. It's the same reason that if they did make an app it would only be for windows phones and tablets. I believe that M$ owns the rights for the mechwarrior video games and smith and tinker own the TT and other rights.
I'm also not sure if WINE has DX11 support quite right yet. I know it has DX9 down though, but in a month or two...
I saw it on an official faq or forum entry a few days ago about the licensing, I'll try to find it.

Edited by zinetwin, 29 July 2013 - 07:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users