8 replies to this topic

#1 Nokie

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Greetings mechwarriors.

I got a serious issue with the performance of MWO since two patches or sth ago. Here comes the problem:

If I start MWO for the first time my performance seems to be as good as it should be considering my system. I got pretty stable fps around 50-60 in fights.

Game settings:
Everything set to high. Resolution: 1920*1080
Motion Blur: off
V-sync: off
Anti Aliasing: PostAA
Starting with the second match everything goes to hell. My fps start ranging from sth around 10 to sth around 90. Changing the settings doesnt help at all. The fps stay exactly the same, even with lowest possible resolution and settings! Every match after the second one gets even worse!

My system:

CPU: Intel i5 3,20 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 (2GB ram)
Memory: 8 GB
Everything else is pretty standard.

So does anyone have a clue why the game performance drops that badly?

Nokie

#2 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

have you checked your GPU and CPU Temps?

#3 Reani Che

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRus

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hmmm.. Have stable 35-50 FPS on "Very High" with i3, GTX660Ti, 8GB RAM. Mb some software affect the performance? Or try to clean coolers:)

#4 Nokie

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostShamous13, on 31 July 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

have you checked your GPU and CPU Temps?

GPU and CPU are both pretty cool and nowhere near the max allowed temperature.
Other games that should require higher system settings run pretty awesome btw.

#5 G_zero

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Try Post Processing to Low, the res of my settings are all on High, with Anti-Aliasing to PostAA (fps 55-60) which occasional hiccups to 34's. Only when looking at friendly Mechs just after spawn. In the middle of Stompy Compbat its stable, hope that helps :)

i5-3570K
8gs Ram
ATI XFX 7850 Black Ed

#6 Nokie

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Well,
I tried setting Post Processing to low the result: crash at the start of the map ;).
Anyway thx for the help you are trying to provide :)

#7 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Disable nvidia application control settings inside of the nvidia control panel (as many as you can).

MWO doesn't like fighting over settings with the nv cp.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

At this time very little information is known, such as which Nvidia card but not which i5 nor OS. Sorta like telling the doc via forum that you are an adult, what is causing ya to itch :)

So, start off with the basics. Not all are meant to be done at one time but at least 1-4

1. Can of compressed air, blow out heat sinks. Also check that fans are not only moving but keep moving and ramp up.
2. Power Options (XP always On), Vista+ OS set to High Performance
3. Nvidia software, set Power Management Mode set to prefer max performance
4. MSI Afterburner - setup fan profile to increase speed with temp (other have seen that fans did not ramp up).

5. If running i5 -650, it is a dual core w/HT. It also means when Turbo Boost kicks in (cheap man's Overclock) it does so ultimately to only 1 of the 2 cores, which cranks up the power and heat on that specific core.

You can test, after the other items have been completed by setting the power manage to 98% (instead of 99%). For 200+ laptop users and at least 7 desktop users, this helped them stabilize their FPS and made the game playable.
Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

Now that takes care of that.

Task manager/process explorer up and running. Keep eye on System Idle Process. If it drops and stays around low 10s% CPU utilization then it is time to look for what is chewing up CPU time.

Now, for MWO itself. Do you play in Full Screen mode or Windowed/Full Windowed mode? That you said it runs as high as 90 FPS, it is in ful screen mode. If you were to monitor your GPU usage, it is likely max or close to be max out most of the time which will generate spikes in not only heat but the power being pulled. The excess heat will not only affect the GPU but other system components. And if the fans are waiting too long to kick in, ya end up with a yo-yo effect. Playing in Full Windowed/Windowed mode will cap FPS at 60 FPS (or use sys_MaxFps = 60 (or another number) in user.cfg). The user.cfg may need to be necessary if you are seeing it in the mechbay.

Added.
Do you utilize mechs that run 4 or more MG/AC2?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 31 July 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#9 Nokie

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Another thanks for all the help offered.
Now to your questions:
Desktop PC System:
CPU: Intel i5 4 core@3.20GHz CPU Utilization when Iam not in game is around 1% as Iam writing here (Driver 320.49)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2GB memory

MWO:
Full Screen

Ok. Watched the utilization of the GPU and CPU during windowed MWO.
CPU roughly around 15% usage
GPU maxes at 75% usage
About the usage of AC. Dont use 4 of em in any build, my mechs nearly always carry at least 3 different weapon systems :)

Edited by Nokie, 31 July 2013 - 11:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users