Joystick Setup

9 replies to this topic

#1 ViolentFacePalm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ive just downloaded the game, and am having some issues with control customization. So I guess here goes.

I have a Saitek x52. My windows settings show that everything is working fine and recognized. I also have it set as my default stick in the windows settings. In the MWO settings though, I am unable to remap my buttons. It does not even recognize the controller it seems. I had read that i would need to check the "Enable Joystick" box but do not see one. So my question is, how do I enable my joystick for use within MWO?

#2 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

It doesnt recognize the joystick unless you have it plugged in BEFORE you load the game.

#3 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

A number of games have problems with the Saitek X45 and X52 because of the pinkie switch and the mode/aux buttons. I don't know if this is also the cause here and if the game recognizes a -ignorejoy or similar parameter. You should perhaps ask support about that.

Edited by Genewen, 02 August 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#4 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

joystick settings are set in the right column, set the lower in list analog turn not turn and analog throttle if it has 1.the game isnt optimized for joystick so your torso control and aiming will be slower than the mouse.reply if you fixed it or still have problems.

Edited by EyeDie I, 02 August 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#5 ViolentFacePalm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ok update. Seems even though Ive been using this Stick and settings fine for years with Flight Sim X, I needed to download the drivers, again. I did notice as stated in a response above that the controls are incredibly sluggish, and my throttle seems to not be mapped to the stick's throttle but rather a small thumb slider on the throttle itself, and torso twist is not mapped at all. Im going to assume that means Im going to need a whole new profile on the stick itself to at least moderatly address these issues. So now my next question should be, does anyone know of any reliable and working profiles for MWO that I can write into my stick?

#6 ViolentFacePalm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Well it seems after a little reasearch and some provate skype time with an anonomys pilot, I am able to alter my Turning and twist speeds to a much more managable level. Thank you group for the help. Havent played a mech game since MW4 nearly died out, hope to see you all in future drops.

#7 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Personally I find this game much easier if you just use the joystick in your left hand to move the mech, and leave the torso twist and main weapons firing to the mouse.

YMMV.

#8 ViolentFacePalm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Ohhhh yeah I cant do that. I am one of the few PC players that plays with a left handed mouse and usually have to use the arrow keys for movment. As of current I have the joystick in my right hand and throttle controls to the left. I have noticed the deadzones on the Saitek are rediculous and nearly unusable. I am incredibly used to the Force Feedback 2. (Got MW4 and The FF2 in one box many many years ago). Was a fantastic boxset that stuck with me through many years and tournaments, but alas the FF2 is really not the best choice for this game, and it didnt seems to recognize the joystick.

I am currently researching some profile builds to perhaps lighten the deadzones and stick speed. Havent had to mess with this crap in a while, not since I got Flight Sim X, so I am having to learn as I go all over again.

#9 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, you dont need the throttle if you do it the way I do. Joystick up/down makes mech go forward and backward, turning it left and right makes the mech go left and right. Rotatin the joystick does absolutely nothing. I map the HAT to toggle the vaious vision modes (night, heat, zoom, module zoom) I map the trigger to jump jets, and the thumbbuttons for targeting (the R key), weapon group 3, alpha strike, and my push to talk for teamspeak.

the mouse buttons do weapon groups 1 and 2, I generally find that 3 groups is plenty.

I find the ability to aim is much better with the mouse, and I found that using the twist of the joystick for the torso was just too difficult to manage in a game where you are doing the helicoptor thing (walking one direciton while looking and firing another)

just play around with it in the testing grounds until you find something that works for you.

My joystick has a little throttle control on it, I map that weapon group 6 for when I use a tag laser, so that I can just turn it on and leave it on.

good luck.

Edited by Mogney, 02 August 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#10 ViolentFacePalm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yeah as of current I am having trouble with the deadzones. Have to move the stick nearly a full inch before input is recognized by the game. Trying some workarounds but, I really hope I dont have to wait for full joystick support to address this issue. Ive never had this type of problem in Flight Sim X or Kerbal Space Program.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users