Spider Tactics Advice Please

17 replies to this topic

#1 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

OK, so playing Conquest in the Canyon map, my ERLLAS SDR-5V and a friendly Jenner encountered an enemy Jenner and (I think) Jagermech at the cap point in a narrow ravine. Should I have stayed to help my ally or ran away to find a target that didn't have time to focus on me?

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I would have stuck around for a little bit to draw the attention of the jenner to keep fire off my ally, or if the jenner didn’t pay attention to me then I would have definitely stayed to rip into him with my laser. But, bring in the jagermech into the mix, I would make that my priority. I usually take higher ground with bigger mechs and rain my machine guns down on their head. They stop shooting at your friend after a while and turn to try and find the annoying ***** pelting them with ammo. lol. Anytime you can pull enemies attention off your ally's is a job well done as a spider. And an even better job when you don’t get hit but have enemies wasting their ammo trying to hit you. In any case, I don't always run away as soon as i'm out numbered. Reason being is because I have so much speed and can make a quick escape if I feel too indanger. I give myself a chance to assess the sitation, the skill of the pilots, and load outs of other mechs. I sometimes just dedicate running around the mechs, targeting them, and waiting for their data to load to see if their armor is stripped anywhere. Out of 3 mechs, you could probably find one that you are able to kill by just scanning through the targets and checking their armor condition. If you were in a heavy or assault, then being outnumbered could possiblity mean to flee asap, and call out for assistance since you are slow. A few well placed shots can take your heavy mech down pretty quick.

If you were alone, deciding on whether to flee ot fight would largely depend on how comfortable you are with your evasion (jump jets, turning in mid air, and running back in the opposite direction, using the terran for cover) and how accurate you are with your laser. I sometimes engage lighter mechs, dish out fair bit of damage (while sustaining some myself) but after dealing my damage I would lead him to my team mates, where their weapons will have a better likely hood of stripping armor and killing him and I get to live. J

Basically, when you’re in a spider, try to be as annoying as possible, and use every opportunity to deal damage without getting yourself in a bad situation.. That’s what makes you a good spider. Lol. Oh, and cap points.

I love Canyon because you can lose enemies quickly, and re-engage them when you choose. Flying across the ravines and dipping behind cover on the other side is almost the best thing to do if you want to lose someone. With that in mind, you can be a little more riskier with what battles you choose you fight in. If things go **** up, fly out and maybe come in at a different angle, or all you need to do is get the attention off of you for a little bit because people caught on to your evasion technique and can anticipate how you will reach, start setting you up, or lining up their shots ahead of time and so on. Just remember you got an annoying weapon, lots of mobility, and great speed. All you gatta do is keep trying to keep that upper hand by being aware of your surroundings, enemies, terrain, and understanding the capabilities of your mech and the incapabailites of others. After that, every game becomes a jungle gym of fun and happiness.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 19 July 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#3 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

You should go through the AMA tactics.

Assess
Make a Decision
Attack
Most Jagers run XL engines to carry more ammo and equipment, he would have been an acceptable attack strategy and getting your Jenner partner to double team him and core through the laughable side torso. But MoonUnitBeta said it best.

#4 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

- first step. report, report, report! get your friends involved in the fight and hold the lock on that jaeger till they get there.

- second, get above the jaeger and run the canyon rim shooting down into them, most pilots cant grasp the situation enough to be able to react to fire from the greatest threat, when there is 2 mechs at different heights and directions.

-most jaeger pilots lack imagination when it comes to builds. if its running double gauss, ac40, or double 10s you can count the seconds between the fire and twist directions at the last second causing them to miss. after a few missed shots, the panic starts in and their piloting becomes almost static as they desperately stop focusing on you and begin to focus on the environment looking for a place to box themselves in and hide.

-once they find that corner to hide, leave the area. they wont move and the other mechs will gut them in that little corner.

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yeah adding to the advice, I would allow the Jenners to engage each other, and I would engage the Jager to keep it from firing on my Ally.

If I see the enemy Jenner run then it's two on one against the Jager, if my Jenner ally runs and the enemy Jenner focuses on me then I hightail it out of there to cap else where or draw the Jenner to other allies.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostGoldhawk, on 19 July 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Most Jagers run XL engines to carry more ammo and equipment, he would have been an acceptable attack strategy and getting your Jenner partner to double team him and core through the laughable side torso. But MoonUnitBeta said it best.

I've noticed between Cataphract 4X and Jagermechs carrying lots of AC firepower, their legs are usually fairly weak (sometimes their arms; test these things). Some of them you can take down just by taking a single leg out, as any ammo in a destroyed leg has a 20% (10% for each ammo) chance of exploding and for some reason it almost always does if you use some MGs, small lasers, or a good amount of excessive firepower to take out the leg (5 large lasers have always triggered leg ammo explosions for me). Once it goes boom, there goes the side torso, and typically the XL engine goes too.

#7 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

At higher ELO it is actually fairly easy to tell which mechs have XLs. As soon as I start focusing on a side torso, if the enemy figures it out they begin turning so that that side is facing away from me. DING! That's all the clue I need. Also, I love, love, love shooting the legs out of Jags, Dragons and Cents. Jags because of what Koniving said, Dragons because they're so quick, and Cents because they are typically zombie builds. All compelling reasons to focus on the legs on these mechs.

#8 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

For me. It spends on the jaegers load out and how good of a shot he was. Some guys I swear can hit a light nearly every shot, ac20s make this a death sentence.

Lately, I've been supporting teammates regardless of how bad their decision is though.

In the end, the decision to fight, harass, or run can't be made by me because I wasn't there. Everyone's advice has been sound this far.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

If you decide to engage a heavier mech in the open, remember to stay close to them. It is much, much harder for the pilot to hit you the closer you are. If you have to run away, try to do it in the most erratic manner possible, and don't forget to use small bursts of jump jets to change direction quickly.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

In response to the initial question, I would at least try to draw the Jenner off. If you can get him away from help you and the friendly Jenner could take him out then come back for the Jag. Otherwise I would focus on the Jag first, then the Jenner would fall fairly easily, as long as the Jag drops fairly quickly.

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

In the case you mentioned, stay. 5V is not a particularly powerful Spider, thus it is always best to engage occupied enemies late-game instead of running off and capping, and especially so when you know there's a enemy Jenner right there, out-gunned you three times, that may run after you.

#12 Shadowhunter99

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I would have to say you should literally run circles around him and unload on him in the process. Try your best to keep the fire off your ally so he can keep the jenner off you. if reinforcements come in i would say run around cover and nab them from behind, they will have trouble turning around to see what is hitting them. Also keep them targeted. your team can bombard them with missiles.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Also, it depends on which variants the Jenners were. If the enemy had streaks then I'd get out of there. If, on the other hand the friendly had streaks but the enemy Jenner didn't then, I'd probably stick around, at least for a little bit. It really is very situational.

#14 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

when i'm in my spider I do as much as I can to attract attention which means, I shoot at everything I can until they are aiming at me. one of the best things you can do as a spider is make them want you so bad they get tunnel vision. then BLAM, your homeboys come up and ring the dinner bell. I think you should have went and attacked the jager until he turned on you, then go for the jenner until he turned on you, then run off into the sunset and see which follows. this would give your jenner buddy chance to attack them and jenners pack a nice little punch, far more than your spider. jenners are also easier to hit than a spider so if you didn't step in, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that jenner died, or bounced away all jacked up, depending on his uberness.

#15 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

View Postmailin, on 19 July 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

At higher ELO it is actually fairly easy to tell which mechs have XLs. As soon as I start focusing on a side torso, if the enemy figures it out they begin turning so that that side is facing away from me. DING! That's all the clue I need. Also, I love, love, love shooting the legs out of Jags, Dragons and Cents. Jags because of what Koniving said, Dragons because they're so quick, and Cents because they are typically zombie builds. All compelling reasons to focus on the legs on these mechs.

So so true!! In some ways it just begs you to attack their left/right torso! Generally speaking though i always aim for the L/R. The reason being that even if they dont have an XL you still take out their firepower, particularly important with mechs such as Atlas and Hunchie. Mechs like centurion you just target the arm first...

What was the Jager running? If the Jager was trying to hit the jenner too i would have run up behind him and tried to core his rear L/R torso. When he turns to try and face you, duck off and help get the jenner, then run back around to attack the rear of the jager. By doing this you keep getting the jager to face the battle giving you a clear window to attack its rear, but then you also distract it from attacking your team mate.. ..at the same time your help the jenner deal with the enemy jenner.

I know, i know.. ..focus fire.. ..well your in a spider not an Assault/Heavy/Medium. Your job is to pester, do as much damage as you can and asssit other mechs. In this scenario you get the jager off your TM back and help them get the jenner they are chasing.

Edited by White Bear 84, 23 July 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#16 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

everytime i manage too ceep 2 heavys busy ( so the dont shoot at my friends ) ive done everything right. well u dont get kills or points BUT u win games ! followed up by delivering intel and cap the sh.t out of the enemy team. the sweetest moments are those when the heavys start to panic and overheat PRICELESS

#17 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

Will make a post covering all variants with loadouts. Keep your eyes open.

#18 Khanublikhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostNecessaryWeevil, on 19 July 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

OK, so playing Conquest in the Canyon map, my ERLLAS SDR-5V and a friendly Jenner encountered an enemy Jenner and (I think) Jagermech at the cap point in a narrow ravine. Should I have stayed to help my ally or ran away to find a target that didn't have time to focus on me?

Hit and fade with an aim to (help) weaken then punch a hole in an opponent's armour. If you start gaining too much heat (mech heat or enemy attention) then fade away to another task.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users