- - - - -

Assault Game Broke?

18 replies to this topic

#1 wrsw

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Been playing for about a week now, and 9/10 Assault game I have played have ended without shots being fired....is that working as intended? Really takes away the fun of the game when half the games you never actually play. Definetly wont get any money from me till this is fixed.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

It seems you are having bouts where no one is playing defense.

Assault requires both attack and defense. If no one defends, the game becomes "Capwarrior."

This is a recent example of a base defense in the form of an ambush, classic MechCommander style.

Action begins at 1:40.

More base defenses:
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 03 August 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#3 ROJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationDubai

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Capping is a victory condition and I keep saying that to remind people, who want to call cappers 'noobs', how noob they are to not protect their own base.

If the people you played with or against sucked enough to actually not manage to defend their base then you just ended up in an unlucky cap match 9/10 times.

Join an MWO community, get yourself teamspeak and play with 4 and 8 mans, if you are experiencing crappy pug matche and wish to become good at this game.

Please know what you are talking about before coming up with such a radical conclusion.

Edited by ROJ, 03 August 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#4 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Capping is a legitimate tactic, and it forces a team who forgot to defend to divert forces to prevent a loss. Best I can say is pay attention/learn from it. If you're in a fast mech, you failed if you (or other fast movers) didn't move back to prevent it/outcap. If your team only has slow mechs you should not have just plodded off on a nature hike and left your base undefended. It's not the enemy's fault that you decided not to play the game.

#5 ego1607

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Unfortunately some players are still trying to play this game as a FPS deathmatch game, and that's just not what MWO is. As your ELO gets higher, you'll get dropped more often with people who have more tactical awareness, and you'll notice game meta changing, with less "all rush to the center with assault mechs and get in a massive furball" situations and more games where people actually use different tactics, scout, defend, pull back if their base is geting capped...

Edited by ego1607, 03 August 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#6 wrsw

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

It seems my issues are clearly lack of understanding of the game. I'll start working on studying proper play. Thank you for the insightful replies.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

It's a pain, I know. I absolutely hate fights like that where neither side has a defense and so it becomes capwarrior.

In faster mechs I remain ready to return on a moment's notice.

In slower mechs I'll drag my feet. River City for example, I'll follow everyone but I'll go a lot slower than my mech really goes, to be ready to head back on a moment's notice.

What happens is both sides have a base, it looks like a drilling platform (laziness PGI?). If an enemy stands next to this base, it will gradually be captured. You can stop this by being inside the platform's laser fence.

Edited by Koniving, 03 August 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#8 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

In all honesty, I really find that conquest ends up with more actual combat.

In addition, a ticket system is more intuitive and well trod territory in terms of MMO games (BF?).

Edited by MisterFiveSeven, 03 August 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

This is true, you generally find more combat in conquest. It's also more spread out, too, which means smaller skirmishes translating to more fun.

#10 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

i agree that base rushing is a pain in the butt, but it doesn't take much to counter it, simply set up a defence, or have your lights scout, that makes them more viable...you know when they say lights and mediums don't fit the current meta? how often do i see my base being capped and the lights and mediums keep fighting while i plod back to defend the base on my own in my heavy or assault, not nearly making it back in time.

#11 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

When the game is starting up, the win conditions state: 1) destroy all enemy mechs AND 2) capture the enemy base.

Not either condition, but both

Grammatically, that IS what the game states.

If assault mode actually required that BOTH conditions be met, that mode would be a better place to be.

#12 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 03 August 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

If assault mode actually required that BOTH conditions be met, that mode would be a better place to be.

That would make "capture the base" condition irrelevant, as your team is guaranteed to be able to cap if all opposing mechs are down. So, all it would do is to prolong the match for a few minutes.

#13 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostIceSerpent, on 04 August 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

That would make "capture the base" condition irrelevant, as your team is guaranteed to be able to cap if all opposing mechs are down. So, all it would do is to prolong the match for a few minutes.

Irrespective, the grammar of those two screens needs to either be changed to reflect that either condition be met to win OR actually meeting both conditions grants the win. Currently, either condition can be met to grant the win in contradiction of the posted win conditions:

Win conditions/requirements:
1) destroy all enemy mechs
2) capture the enemy base.

This says BOTH conditions have to be met, not OR. Even the worse english students among us cannot deny that is what it explicitly states.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Capping is there for 2 generally important reasons.

1) It makes speed that much more important, meaning lights and mediums have more of a role than just scouts or lightweight fire support.

2) It gives an objective beyond a simple death match.

Now, I'll admit I find folks who go in with the mindset of "I'm going to cap their base and not fire a shot" a bit annoying, but at the same time, it can keep you honest.

The 2 mechs I have the most experience with are my Jenners and Victors, so I can give you the perspective from different sides.

As a light mech, there are a few things you need to keep track of:
1) Can I cap?
2) Should I cap, or am I needed elsewhere?
3) Can I prevent a cap?

#2 is the most difficult. Running off to cap means one less gun in the fight, and while a light may not pack a lot of firepower, every little bit helps, and Lights can provide a good distraction for heavier mechs, or keep the opponent's lights off of the heavies. Capping does little good if your team gets wiped and then the opponent's lights hunt you down and kill you, and you'd be surprised how much of a difference 1 light makes.

Remember, it's not JUST the light's job to cap and play cap defense. Don't yell at your team's lone light if he's busy doing something else constructive.

As a assault mech, there are a few things you need to keep track of:
1) How far away am I from a cap point?
2) Should I Cap, Fight, or Both?
3) When capping, should I hang in there and soak damage or run?

Now, my Assault experience is a bit skewed as I find my 80KPH Victor is sadly one of the fastest mechs on my team when I PUG (Seriously folks, I shouldn't be outrunning most mediums or the occasional light), but I like the tactical flexibility it gives me. Still, #2 is a big thing for Assaults, and far too often, I've found we've lost a match because an Assault mech refused to join in on the capping. You kill 5 of their team, are only down 2, and are near their base, you go cap. You're a long range sniper assault mech who doesn't move fast? Well, hang a little further back so you can try to close back on your own base if the need arises.

Remember, standing in your base stops the capping, regardless of how many enemies are there. Sometimes it's the job of an assault to stand there and take one for the team so the cavalry can arrive.

View PostGremlich Johns, on 03 August 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Ugh, no. No point in capping once you kill em all, and if capping wasn't a sole winning solution, then what's the point of ever capping till it's over?

#15 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

View PostIceSerpent, on 04 August 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

Irrespective, the grammar of those two screens need to either be changed to reflect that either condition be met to win OR actually meeting both conditions grants the win. Currently, EITHER condition can be met to grant the win in contradiction of the posted win conditions:

This says BOTH conditions have to be met, not OR. Even the worse English students among us cannot deny that is what it explicitly states. (I'd expect more of our northern neighbours)

The alternative should be:

Win Options:
1) either destroy all enemy mechs
2) or capture the enemy base.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 04 August 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#16 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Check out some guides right here as well: http://mwomercs.com/...des-strategies/

Also, there are a plethora of guides and even tutorial videos out there, just search MW:O videos, guides, etc. through favorite search engine - the game does have a learning curve that's slightly steeper than most. I'm sure it probably doesn't help when someone such as yourself is initially coming into the Battle-Tech Universe for the first time and the game doesn't have an included tutorial. Just don't give up because it's like a switch and you'll be on the fast tract. Anyhow, as mentioned just stick with the majority of your teammates and try to focus fire after following training grounds, a little guide reviewing, etc., dude.

#17 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 04 August 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

Irrespective, the grammar of those two screens needs to either be changed to reflect that either condition be met to win OR actually meeting both conditions grants the win. Currently, either condition can be met to grant the win in contradiction of the posted win conditions:

This says BOTH conditions have to be met, not OR. Even the worse english students among us cannot deny that is what it explicitly states.

True, but it's PGI we are talking about here - intuitive interfaces are not exactly their forte. For crying out loud, I just saw yet another rookie stumble into "do I need both MC and c-bills to buy a mech?" pitfall and it's been over a year since folks began to complain about that little thing.

#18 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

I promise, the game is way more fun, when both teams defend their base.
WaitWarrior: Online
Once I had a really good match and i managed to not even clean my bathroom but although parts of the kitchen in those 15 minutes!

Scouts can be seen as an addon, it's then called BaitWarrior: Online, but that's to much for me.

And seriously, despite 2 maps which are just sometimes too big, the system works and being capped is just fail of one teams defense, or lack of movement and estimated traveltimes.

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

If it helps, I have found in most of my assault matches that - even when both sides agree at the beginning to fight first (some I am fairly sure were sync-drops - but alas- I would have no way to know) -both teams tend to wander on the right half of the map (from their respective starting points)

And those times where they wander left? In 3 days of almost all-day playing this last week, only TWO (or maybe 3-4) matches did we meet the enemy that way.

Which is not to say there is no fighting, just that when there is (more often than not) it comes from both teams kinda spiraling into the middle from their respective 'right hand' side.

On a semi-related note - 20 matches in Canyon (which feels less like a canyon than TT or Tourmaline :)) I was always on the same starting point...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users