Hunchback, Need Help D:

27 replies to this topic

#1 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Im currently using this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6eb0cd3bf87607c

And i had a similar build before with SRMS instead of AMS where I would take at least 2 kills. But that was a long time ago and I only recently came back to MWO. So, tips?

#2 ShockATC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Well, there is not much you can do with that Mech. Its an energy only.

But keep in mind, that there is a heat penalty now in the game if you fire more than 6 ML at one time.

#3 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostShockATC, on 04 August 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

Well, there is not much you can do with that Mech. Its an energy only.

But keep in mind, that there is a heat penalty now in the game if you fire more than 6 ML at one time.

So what would you recommend? I followed a build for this, what should I do?

#4 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

There's not really anything "wrong" with that build, imho. You will obviously have to watch your heat. The new heat penalty only regards number of weapons used in a single or "alpha" strike. You have to have a half second delay between firings. Map your ML's to different keys or mouse buttons.

I run 7 ML's and 1 ERLL on my Hunchback -P variant. I have the ERLL mapped to one mouse button, 4 ML's mapped to another, 3 ML's mapped to a third, and I do have a full alpha strike mapped to the last (4 button mouse obviously).

I can fire 2 full alphas with that build without shutting down, if I'm stone cold to begin with. Or, I can fire the ERLL endlessly, or the 4 ML's 6 or 8 times in a row, or the 3 ML's endlessly. If I'm getting hot, I switch to just the 3 ML's, and I can keep firing and still drop heat. Same goes with the ERLL.

I'm running 17 DHS's, same as you. Only real difference in our builds is the ERLL, and I'm still running the slow STD 200 engine. I just follow the assaults and give fire support, so I don't really need the speed for how I play it.

I do like the added flexibility of the long range weapon, especially on the open maps. It helps to ping away at enemy mechs to disrupt them while we close the distance.

Enjoy your Hunchback. It's one of my favorite chassis, and the -P and the -J are my favorite variants.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostKreissV, on 04 August 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

And i had a similar build before with SRMS instead of AMS where I would take at least 2 kills. But that was a long time ago and I only recently came back to MWO. So, tips?

From someone who has done a lot of Hunchbacks lately and survives for a very long time with an XL-engine Hunchback, I'll give you this bit of advice.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc27d32d46de821

Notice the right side armor allocation? 46 and 2? Your entire hunch, from ALL sides, counts as "front" armor. Only a small strip below the protrusion of the Hunch, counts as rear armor. That is very important to remember.

Here you go. http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2530833 That post shows the hitbox. With that, you'll survive a lot longer. I changed the lasers to small pulse, they generate less heat and there's no limit to how many you can fire at once. In the time you can fire 6 medium lasers twice to make 30 damage each, you can fire 7 small pulses 3 times generating 21 damage each time.

That's 6 ML twice for 60, or 7 SPL for less heat 3 times for 63 damage.

Even better, its short beam time is much more concentrated, reducing spread and giving you the pinpoint edge you need.

#6 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Oh, and I'm running standard armor and structure as well.

#7 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostKreissV, on 04 August 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Im currently using this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6eb0cd3bf87607c

Please re-allocate that armor in a similar fashion like this HBK-4P, drop the AMS, use the speed to avoid LRMs, you'll need any inch of cooling on that thing; remember the heat penalty, so fire 6 MLs at once and the rest with half a second delay. I often fire 4 MLs, then 3 MLs+ the two in the arms, but I did like this even before heat penalties.

I'd avoid XL engines, until we won't get higher rated engines, it's useless to risk one with that hunch, it goes off like nothing.

#8 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Oh, good, Kon is here...

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to run those SPL's Kon. I'm afraid on most maps I'd get turned inside out before I could close to 90 meters, or even 180 meters. Do you map them all to same fire button? What do you do if you PUG drop onto Caustic map with that build?

Just curious, who knows, I may try it. Your advice has always been good.

#9 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

You could try longer range weapons and try to do damage in the early part of the engagement from a safer range. For example, 2LL/3ML, or 2PPC plus some back-up weapons. Try and operate in the medium range and only brawl if you need to, or towards the end of the match.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hunchbacks are meant to fight in urban environments. Pick an area of a similar nature to be your territory and play the role of the Hunchback -- area defense.

For example here it takes me quite some time (I even time skip a bunch of it within the video), but I sneak up on my enemies. Rather I get close enough to do so and then fight it out, taking out a Centurion while being bombarded by LRMs, and then making fun of a Catapult as I kill it.

#11 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 04 August 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Please re-allocate that armor in a similar fashion like this HBK-4P, drop the AMS, use the speed to avoid LRMs, you'll need any inch of cooling on that thing; remember the heat penalty, so fire 6 MLs at once and the rest with half a second delay. I often fire 4 MLs, then 3 MLs+ the two in the arms, but I did like this even before heat penalties.

I'd avoid XL engines, until we won't get higher rated engines, it's useless to risk one with that hunch, it goes off like nothing.

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 04 August 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

There's not really anything "wrong" with that build, imho. You will obviously have to watch your heat. The new heat penalty only regards number of weapons used in a single or "alpha" strike. You have to have a half second delay between firings. Map your ML's to different keys or mouse buttons.

I run 7 ML's and 1 ERLL on my Hunchback -P variant. I have the ERLL mapped to one mouse button, 4 ML's mapped to another, 3 ML's mapped to a third, and I do have a full alpha strike mapped to the last (4 button mouse obviously).

I can fire 2 full alphas with that build without shutting down, if I'm stone cold to begin with. Or, I can fire the ERLL endlessly, or the 4 ML's 6 or 8 times in a row, or the 3 ML's endlessly. If I'm getting hot, I switch to just the 3 ML's, and I can keep firing and still drop heat. Same goes with the ERLL.

I'm running 17 DHS's, same as you. Only real difference in our builds is the ERLL, and I'm still running the slow STD 200 engine. I just follow the assaults and give fire support, so I don't really need the speed for how I play it.

I do like the added flexibility of the long range weapon, especially on the open maps. It helps to ping away at enemy mechs to disrupt them while we close the distance.

Enjoy your Hunchback. It's one of my favorite chassis, and the -P and the -J are my favorite variants.

thanks so much you guys, so I guess i should install more heat sinks and drop the AMS? God i love how technical this game is.

#12 BINDLETORC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 163 posts
  • Locationhaliburton, ON. CANADA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 04 August 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

the armour here is awesome. i run a similar build but after the last LRM adjustment, AMS is very handy in some situations as they are faster and curve and follow terrain that you would think should protect you.
the trick to this build is chain fire. you can rapid fire everything and still be almost heat neutral. i love this build and it is fairly common and rather scary if it catches you alone. zone defense it's role and it is perfect. woot.

#13 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 04 August 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Hunchbacks are meant to fight in urban environments. Pick an area of a similar nature to be your territory and play the role of the Hunchback -- area defense.

For example here it takes me quite some time (I even time skip a bunch of it within the video), but I sneak up on my enemies. Rather I get close enough to do so and then fight it out, taking out a Centurion while being bombarded by LRMs, and then making fun of a Catapult as I kill it.

I'm afraid to try small pulse lasers, they really that great D:

#14 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

You may have to make adjustments for your specific play style. For me, I would not field one without AMS. I realize that this is a personal choice, and may not match yours. But a Hunchback, even with a large engine can't really move fast enough to get out of LRM fire imho.

#15 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a23ac638bca211

try that.

anyways iv currently been playing the hunchback to death. its not too bad of a mech, as long as you make use of the massive torso twist.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostKreissV, on 04 August 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

I'm afraid to try small pulse lasers, they really that great D:

Well, compare this. 7 SPL, 7 tons, 0.5 burn (firing) time, 2.25 cooldown (means fire each laser once every 2.75 seconds). 3 damage each. 21 damage total. 2.4 heat per laser (*7) = 16.8 for 7.

6 ML, 6 tons, 1.0 burn (firing less focused damage!) time, 3.00 cooldown (means each laser fires once every 4 seconds). 5 damage each. 30 total. 4.0 heat per laser (*6) = 24 for 6.

21 damage per shot, every 2.75 seconds with only needing 0.5 seconds of focus on target?
Or 30 damage per shot, once every 4 seconds, needing 1 full second of focus on the target?

With 7 SPL in 8.25 seconds I'll have fired 3 times, dealt 63 damage, and generated 50.4 heat (sink rate depends on heatsinks).
With 6 ML in 8 seconds I'll have fired 2 times, dealt 60 damage and generated 48 heat (sink rate depends on heatsinks).

We can't count 7 ML, because if you fire that at the same time you screw yourself kinda bad.
You can, however, do 9 SPL with no penalty.

Compare this to an AC/20. 14 tons for the gun, limited ammo, 20 damage at 4 seconds apart. In 8 seconds you'll deal 40 damage.

Which would you rather have in your hunch?

Plus there's this, with "old" SPL heat (it's cooler now).

Takes a bit longer to heat up on Caustic now. Plus machine gun pulse lasers of awesomeness!

Edited by Koniving, 04 August 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#17 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

ive been having fun with 6 MLaser and 3 flamers. Another fun build is 1 ERPPC and 8 Small Lasers.

#18 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostKoniving, on 04 August 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Well, compare this. 7 SPL, 7 tons, 0.5 burn (firing) time, 2.25 cooldown (means fire each laser once every 2.75 seconds). 3 damage each. 21 damage total. 2.4 heat per laser (*7) = 16.8 for 7.

6 ML, 6 tons, 1.0 burn (firing less focused damage!) time, 3.00 cooldown (means each laser fires once every 4 seconds). 5 damage each. 30 total. 4.0 heat per laser (*6) = 24 for 6.

21 damage per shot, every 2.75 seconds with only needing 0.5 seconds of focus on target?
Or 30 damage per shot, once every 4 seconds, needing 1 full second of focus on the target?

With 7 SPL in 8.25 seconds I'll have fired 3 times, dealt 63 damage, and generated 50.4 heat (sink rate depends on heatsinks).
With 6 ML in 8 seconds I'll have fired 2 times, dealt 60 damage and generated 48 heat (sink rate depends on heatsinks).

We can't count 7 ML, because if you fire that at the same time you screw yourself kinda bad.
You can, however, do 9 SPL with no penalty.

Compare this to an AC/20. 14 tons for the gun, limited ammo, 20 damage at 4 seconds apart. In 8 seconds you'll deal 40 damage.

Which would you rather have in your hunch?

Plus there's this, with "old" SPL heat (it's cooler now).
Takes a bit longer to heat up on Caustic now. Plus machine gun pulse lasers of awesomeness!

Mmmmm heat up is a problem, i'm really tempted to but then again i'm terrified.

#19 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

3xMLas and 2xERPPC

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostKreissV, on 04 August 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Mmmmm heat up is a problem, i'm really tempted to but then again i'm terrified.

Test it out in the testing grounds first. See if it's manageable. Honestly it's less heat per shot than the ML. The heat generated that I gave isn't counting any of what you sink. But long story short, all you need are environments like the Hunchback's natural territory. Cities. Any place with lots of buildings or tall obstructions.

Here's a 4G with small lasers in its native territory.

Hunchbacks are typically urban brawlers assigned to area defense or to defend a specific larger unit (typically an Atlas). A 4P with small pulse lasers is ideal for taking out enemy lights that swarm a nearby Atlas, due to the rapid damage delivery in such small time frames. If you can find someone in an Atlas or Stalker to follow, you'll significantly increase your survival chances. Personally if I can't find someone to follow or don't like where they are going, I'll stick around the buildings of my base. Except on River City; that's suicide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users