27 replies to this topic

#21 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

The 7 Small Pulse Laser build barely has any heat problems. When brawling, fire only your SPLs when you are near the heat cap and you should be fine. If any target is too high or too low, use your arm-mounted medium lasers to reach them.

You will always be in danger of overheating with Medium Lasers due to the heat restrictions. Even before the SPLs were buffed I used normal Small Lasers. You can replace the AMS with 1 more DHS to reach 18.

7xSPL 2xML HBK

Here is the small laser build. Less heat and more heatsinks (20 DHS). It also has slightly more range than the SPL build. Spam your heart out. 7 small lasers do more dps and damage than 1 AC/20 and ammo is not an issue.

7xSL 2xML HBK

#22 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostElizander, on 04 August 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

The 7 Small Pulse Laser build barely has any heat problems. When brawling, fire only your SPLs when you are near the heat cap and you should be fine. If any target is too high or too low, use your arm-mounted medium lasers to reach them.

You will always be in danger of overheating with Medium Lasers due to the heat restrictions. Even before the SPLs were buffed I used normal Small Lasers. You can replace the AMS with 1 more DHS to reach 18.

7xSPL 2xML HBK

Here is the small laser build. Less heat and more heatsinks (20 DHS). It also has slightly more range than the SPL build. Spam your heart out. 7 small lasers do more dps and damage than 1 AC/20 and ammo is not an issue.

7xSL 2xML HBK

I'm curious about how I would setup my fire groups. Right now my 9 MLS are firing in 3s. For the pulse laser, should i do the same? And small pulse lasers are the ones that make that strange machinegun sounding noise yes?

#23 KreissV

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 04 August 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Test it out in the testing grounds first. See if it's manageable. Honestly it's less heat per shot than the ML. The heat generated that I gave isn't counting any of what you sink. But long story short, all you need are environments like the Hunchback's natural territory. Cities. Any place with lots of buildings or tall obstructions.

Here's a 4G with small lasers in its native territory.

Hunchbacks are typically urban brawlers assigned to area defense or to defend a specific larger unit (typically an Atlas). A 4P with small pulse lasers is ideal for taking out enemy lights that swarm a nearby Atlas, due to the rapid damage delivery in such small time frames. If you can find someone in an Atlas or Stalker to follow, you'll significantly increase your survival chances. Personally if I can't find someone to follow or don't like where they are going, I'll stick around the buildings of my base. Except on River City; that's suicide.

I can't seem to get it to work with SPLS,I do less damage and people usually waste me before i can disarm. I'm using chain fire but no cigar. Sticking with medium lasers seems to be best for now, and I can manage the heat

#24 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostKreissV, on 04 August 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

I'm curious about how I would setup my fire groups. Right now my 9 MLS are firing in 3s. For the pulse laser, should i do the same? And small pulse lasers are the ones that make that strange machinegun sounding noise yes?

Group 1 - All small lasers together
Group 2 - All medium lasers together.

The huge benefit of this setup is that small lasers have a shorter beam duration. Fire them and twist away immediately to spread damage then face them again a short while before the lasers cool down. You only need to expose yourself for half the time with small pulse lasers compared to medium lasers. Do not just torso twist, make sharp turns as well and they might even miss entirely.

View PostKreissV, on 04 August 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

I can't seem to get it to work with SPLS,I do less damage and people usually waste me before i can disarm. I'm using chain fire but no cigar. Sticking with medium lasers seems to be best for now, and I can manage the heat

You alpha all your small lasers together all the time. It shouldn't heat up much. You should also consider fighting with your group. If you are solo against multiple enemies you will die quickly since this is a medium mech. Your sustained damage is ridiculously high though so if you can take advantage of not being targeted in a large battle, you will deal quite a lot.

Also take note of the range and make sure you are within ideal range for the lasers.

Edited by Elizander, 05 August 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

You need to do alpha strikes rather than chainfire. I'd only chainfire when when running too hot.

Also it's super important that right torso armor is this: Front - 46. Back - 2.

If you do not allocate your armor on that right torso like that, you'll never make it. You also need speed. 250 engine minimum. Don't rush people from the front, that's suicide.

#26 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostKoniving, on 04 August 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

Hunchbacks are meant to fight in urban environments. Pick an area of a similar nature to be your territory and play the role of the Hunchback -- area defense.

For example here it takes me quite some time (I even time skip a bunch of it within the video), but I sneak up on my enemies. Rather I get close enough to do so and then fight it out, taking out a Centurion while being bombarded by LRMs, and then making fun of a Catapult as I kill it.

Yep. Maneuver, maneuver, maneuver. The 4P MLaserback, SLaserback, or SPLaserback are very good builds for learning how to be patient, and to pick one's fights. If a light or medium tries to intercept, you can invite them into a one-on-one knife fight, always fun with the 4P.

Or, one can go the other way and add LLas, PPC, ERLLas and be more versatile, however you miss out on a great learning chassis.

I recommend the HBK to all new pilots since the 4SP teaches you how to manage your heat and lead SRM shots effectively, the 4P teaches you to protect your Hunch and to maneuver effectively, and the 4G/H/J area great big-gun mechs (or even missile boat). See, in just the HBK, in the process of mastering them you go through a whole progression of great learning roles and scenarios.

#27 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostItsalrightwithme, on 06 August 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

Yep. Maneuver, maneuver, maneuver. The 4P MLaserback, SLaserback, or SPLaserback are very good builds for learning how to be patient, and to pick one's fights. If a light or medium tries to intercept, you can invite them into a one-on-one knife fight, always fun with the 4P.

Or, one can go the other way and add LLas, PPC, ERLLas and be more versatile, however you miss out on a great learning chassis.

I recommend the HBK to all new pilots since the 4SP teaches you how to manage your heat and lead SRM shots effectively, the 4P teaches you to protect your Hunch and to maneuver effectively, and the 4G/H/J area great big-gun mechs (or even missile boat). See, in just the HBK, in the process of mastering them you go through a whole progression of great learning roles and scenarios.

Indeed - the Hunchback is perhaps the most versatile chassis in the game in that it can fill a huge number of roles and give users experience with every weapon type or mix of weapons.

#28 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I would stick a TAG in the head instead of the mlas. Firing the head laser with the hunch lasers is too hot on many maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users