How Do I Get The Centurion To Suck Less?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I can't figure out how to play it. Barely faster than heavies, while having far less armour, less firepower, and remains about the same size.

Flanking doesn't work. As soon as you're spotted you're dead. Brawling is obviously out of the question. The only time I've ever found a use for my Centurions is if the enemy is so distracted that they basically let me shoot them in the side/back without fighting back. And that's nothing my heavies can't do better.

I've tried shielding with the left arm, but it doesn't help, because as soon as you turn enough to shoot them, they tear off 20+% of your HP because you have a big, tissue-paper CT. And that's not counting the new random bonus damage to IS.

I've tried brawler builds, sniper builds, LRM builds, fast builds, gimmick builds. Nothing works. It's not effective, and it's not fun. I can't see how to make the Centurion not suck. Is it something I'm not seeing, or is it just the ridiculousness of having teams with 15+ ERPPCs?

I would appreciate builds too, but I'd prefer to not have to rely on Gauss/PPC/ERPPC cheese.

Edited by Sable Dove, 11 August 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#2 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

I guess you could try something like this ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9d1030ab4d9e91 ) or ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b37b0d8f7b64ee1 ) if you don't want to run the standard 2xML 3xSRM6 zombie build.

Just one thing to consider is that there are a number of players that make good use of the "standard zombie" and other common builds , so making a chassis suck less is usually a need to change the style of play ( or sometimes a variant is just a handicap like most of the commandos ).

Edited by Nik Reaper, 11 August 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#3 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well this would depend on you Centurion....

To be fair it sounds all wrong. The medium class is a support class, brawling and long/close fire support.. Not enough to take on Heavys or Assault (unless in groups or damaged). Mediums I'd say Std engine 200/250 to XL 250/275 DHS, or what ever you can take And be happy with the firepower.

A Medium should pack about 40 damage give or take +/-5 and still be fast enough to choose its targets and fade away when it gets too hot...

The way I see it working is to stick with a Heavy or Assault class, keep the Lights and Mediums off his back while he whacks things with Alphas... I might not seem the best plan in the world. But its the role the Medium was made for.

If the Centurion isn't working the next best thing (possibly for you... I LOVES my Hunchie) is the Hunchie 4SP. DHS, 2xSRM6, (This part varies, mine has) 2xMedium Lazers, 2xSmall Lazers(Arms), and a TAG (In the head). Std 250 engine, Maxed armor apart from the legs (around 8-10 on the rear torso).

Absolute wrecking tool!
Its worth getting all the XP perks before deciding on wether or not, you like the Mech your playing.

But I still hate the Fatlass and Love the Awesome....

Have fun...

#4 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

SRMs are pretty reliable right now; if you run the CN9-A, the 3xSRM 2xMlas should serve you very well. I pilot a lot of medium and will tell you that they are in a pretty bad spot right now, but they have been far worse. For the A, I would honestly say that the best thing you can do is to just alt tab out and read some news or something for the first 3-5 minutes of the match, depending on how big the map is. In 12v12 everyone moves out at like 40kph, and the fighting won't happen for such a long time that it is far too tempting to actually use your speed and engage, but that will get you killed. 18srms and 2mlas should let you tear through the rear armor of most assaults pretty easily, and if you have at least one teammate, should give you enough staying power to grind them down from the front as well. I can almost guarantee you that this build will serve you well once you get good at it.

The rest of the cents are iffy. I have seen people have a lot of success with this build, but I haven't had much luck with it.

#5 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

I used to use this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4b690d794a12923 and pretend I'm the caboose on an Atlas or a Stalker. You can turn fast enough to swat the lights, and the CT LL lets you reach out past your big buddy. I find with the CT mount I can avoid engaging in friendly fire that is a risk when you're using arm weapons while trying to be behind.

The link as shown may not be optimal for current heat/damage values, I mostly play Hunchbacks if I want a medium lately.

#6 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

The Centurion is one of the most hardy Medium mechs on the field because of its terribly broken hitboxes. It has ghost arms that overlap slanted side torsos that impinge on the CT. Add speed and it makes it one of the best brawling options for mediums since it's one of the few mechs in the game that can feasibly achieve 75% damage mitigation.

If you're dying fast there could be a couple issues. The primary culprit to bad brawling is usually a slow engine. Faster engines don't just give you extra speed, they make you turn and twist faster--all incredibly critical aspects of damage mitigation.

If that's not it, maybe you're just not mitigating well. Predict shots based off your opponent's loadout, and turn your shoulders into opponents' salvos. Circle them to present a fresh (or unneeded) part of your body. Want them to hit your right side more often? Circle Clockwise. Left side? Counter-Clockwise.

If you have a fast engine and feel your mitigation is fine: it may be your positioning. Are you entering fights alone against multiple opponents? Are you always presenting yourself as the main target even when there are larger/beefier allies? Always getting caught out alone? Be aware of you and your allies positioning. It's just as important as knowing where the enemy is.

I run a competitive CN9-A with something like this: 3x ASRM6 (4 ton), 2 Mlas, STD275. It has enough damage, speed, and survivability to work fluidly in almost any situation. Just don't try and fight at range, and don't skimp on leg armor.

#7 BR0WN_H0RN3T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 701 posts
  • LocationElysium

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Postaniviron, on 11 August 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

The rest of the cents are iffy. I have seen people have a lot of success with this build, but I haven't had much luck with it.

Similar to my Wang build but the YLW is better with that setup.

My tips for CN9-A: run only 3SMR6 and 2MLs. I actually use an XL275 on my 9A but you need to be careful obviously. I don't rate "zombie" mode. I mean, do you really want to stay alive with 2 MLs in the chest?

CN9-D: Now this guy needs speed. If you don't have a really big engine forget it. But you can make it work with MLs/ SPLs, Strks and BAP. Dn't feel obligated to put a ballistic in the RA. Think of the RA as another shield.

I've tried to make the CN9-AL work but it's just not competitive. Yeh, put on 4MLs and 2 SRM6s if you want. The CN9-A is just better and cooler.

#8 Zakie Chan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Change the pilot :3

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

It's all about moving your arms in place to take hits for you. In other words, do the twist.

#10 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

You can run a CN9A with STD275, 3SRM6 2MLAS with Ferro/Endo.

Thing books it.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Expensive, but pretty scary Cent-D to be used vs lights or whatever:
CN9-D

More realistic option early on... the engine is reusable between every Cent and should be fairly viable:
CN9-D

Trying to make the most of the default XL300 you get from buying the initial Cent-D:
CN9-D

Cent-AL "conforming to the meta" - defend your right arm like its a YLW:
CN9-AL

Cent-AL almost "Classic" - assuming you don't want to spend too much time protecting the right arm:
CN9-AL

Cent-AL - LL Edition:
CN9-AL

Cent-AL - LL with Streaks:
CN9-AL

Cent-A - Heat sustainable in hotter maps:
CN9-A

The key to success is ultimately torso twisting. If you haven't mastered that, then you're doomed. Also, having a faster engine is practically mandatory if you want to torso twist well.

Edited by Deathlike, 11 August 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#12 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

He already mentioned that he's using his arms to shield but is still dying. Maybe 360 target retention can help, in that he maintains lock on target even when not facing it, and can circle fast while keeping an eye on the minimap until he sees that he has cleared the enemy's firing arc safely before turning to fire.

Also some enemies are good enough to just shoot you in the crotch if you're running at any angle other than perfectly perpendicular, so you get hit in the CT even if you're twisted away. If closing on an enemy and you can't turn fast enough to get your crotch out of the way, twist to the side *and* aim at the ground to drop your arm down to cover the crotch area.

#13 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostBrown Hornet, on 11 August 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Similar to my Wang build but the YLW is better with that setup.

My tips for CN9-A: run only 3SMR6 and 2MLs. I actually use an XL275 on my 9A but you need to be careful obviously. I don't rate "zombie" mode. I mean, do you really want to stay alive with 2 MLs in the chest?

CN9-D: Now this guy needs speed. If you don't have a really big engine forget it. But you can make it work with MLs/ SPLs, Strks and BAP. Dn't feel obligated to put a ballistic in the RA. Think of the RA as another shield.

I've tried to make the CN9-AL work but it's just not competitive. Yeh, put on 4MLs and 2 SRM6s if you want. The CN9-A is just better and cooler.

I didn't actually remember your name at the time I posted, but seeing it now, yes, you're the one who really made me take that build seriously after seeing you post a few consecutive 600-900 damage games. I remember it was a Wang too, but had to try and extrapolate the rest. :]

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostYueFei, on 11 August 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

He already mentioned that he's using his arms to shield but is still dying. Maybe 360 target retention can help, in that he maintains lock on target even when not facing it, and can circle fast while keeping an eye on the minimap until he sees that he has cleared the enemy's firing arc safely before turning to fire.

360 Target Rentention only retains info if the mech is within 200m... you're thinking of Target Decay, which is a lot more useful for that.

Investing in Seismic also helps, especially since Cents usually engage at short range...

#15 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationA contested planet

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

Now here's a question: are you arm-locked? Because if you're not, you can turn your torso to the right and move your arm reticule as far left as you can, and use Free Look to center your camera as you advance. I find that I can advance with my torso turned 45 degrees with my arm pointing forward relative to the legs and my camera pointing out the left viewport; Center Torso to Legs snaps the torso back into place faster than if you used your mouse/stick, so you can bring those weapons to bear faster and give yourself a wider field of view for the arm cannons.

My Cent-A runs UAC5, 3xSSRM2, 2xMPL on an XL235, my AL is LPLAS, TAG, 2xMPLAS, 2x SSRM2 on an XL275, and my D has two each of AC2, SSRM2, and MPL on an XL235. I do near-200 in an average match (and as high as 600 so far), mostly by harrassing and skirmishing.

Edited by ValdnadHartagga, 12 August 2013 - 05:23 AM.

#16 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

one of the best mechs in game, i have 5 of them. and im not talking about the 6srm6 cheese never used it...maybe its just not for you though...if you are having such a hard time maybe try a hunchie...

#17 BR0WN_H0RN3T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 701 posts
  • LocationElysium

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

View Postaniviron, on 12 August 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I didn't actually remember your name at the time I posted, but seeing it now, yes, you're the one who really made me take that build seriously after seeing you post a few consecutive 600-900 damage games. I remember it was a Wang too, but had to try and extrapolate the rest. :]

Yeh, I'm glad we turned that 14/0 losing streak around :(. Seriously tho, since running 2AC5s in the YLW I can't beat it with any other CN9. It's consistently better in terms of damage and survivability. I run an Xl300, and 5t ammo. with 2MLs, you can put on FF, ES with 0 slots free. I never thought I'd ever rate the YLW as my best CN9, but it is by a long shot. Average dmg/ match is about 400-500. Best ever was about 900 dmg.

Edited by Brown Hornet, 12 August 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#18 Longshank

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

I actually thought this was a joke post when I read it. As said not all mechs are for all pilots. Currently the Cent has the second worse hit box in game, only following the near immortal spider.

That said here would be my tips...

- Don't be scared to use an XL in it. If you die most of the time it will be the CT or legged.

- Speed is king, never be slower than mid 80's. The D is nice since you can put big XL's in it and move very fast.

- Cheese aside if you have anything other than SRM6's in that torso you're doing it wrong. SRM's are awesome damage right now.

- Cents DO have missile bay doors, open them at the beginning of the match or your SRM's will lag when fired. Your bay door light is to the lower left when the match starts, yellow bad green good.

- Don't ever be the first mech in enemy view, let that light or assault lead in there. Once they ignore you go to town.

- Learn to twist, never just stand there unless that mech is shutdown with you on his 6 and he doesn't have friends around

- Use that arm shield

- Terrain dance and don't just run circles around mechs. Most people can't hit things moving much less going up and down terrain.

- Best way to kill lights is beam wand their legs and SRM their feet. Do not just get into a brawling match.

- Your sweet spot is under 180m and use your speed to out turn the big boys.

- Find and follow a buddy, either one your speed or assist the assaults.

- Overheating is a mega no-no, you won't last long.

- AMS is good again, reduces LRM and SRM damage.

doubt any of this is earth shattering just the basics I've found that usually help. Good luck, and also don't forget the Quickdraw for a medium since those jump jets are nice to make them fast and very mobile.

Edited by Longshank, 12 August 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#19 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

My cent-9D
primarily as a light hunter and a hit and run from cover to cover http://mwo.smurfy-ne...18074590a488388

380xl for123kph is max raven 4x/2x speeds and faster than any stock mech outside the spider, faster then the stock spider when speed tweaked to 135.4kph (havent gotten that far myself yet) you could also drop to a 370xl for space for ams

2ml as usual
2 ssrm2s for the lights with 2 tons ammo
2mg with 2 tons for blowing off chunks at the end of the battle
BAP for freaking out that loner ecm spider, raven, commando or cicada.
heat is 1.62 in the mechlab

Now that I think about it more I prob should drop the engine down to fit in an ams and ammo, with the speed at 119.9 kph and 131.9 kph tweaked.

I might just be crazy but I love it.

#20 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Alright. Took some advice, and stopped being too aggressive. Also, kept the missile doors open (I have to zoom in and use free-look to actually see the colour of that light).

Basically I ignore the right arm weapon and just do the 2 ML, 2/3 SRM6 builds, although on the AL I use 4xSPL because I find it more effective on lights, which are incredibly annoying lately.

It's been much more effective, but it relies on teams getting into close ranges, and most of my matches end up with at least 10 mechs a side lining up at 600-800m and sniping with ERPPCs and LRMs, so it can be kinda boring at times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users