- - - - -

New Casual Player

205 replies to this topic

#1 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY, USA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hiya folks! Brand new to the game, still tackling the impressive learning curve of the game. I used to play the 1P Mech games back in the day, and am really jazzed about the look and feel of the online play.

My best bud and I both started last night and played our first handful of matches with the trial mechs. We did about as good as one might expect, but had a ton of fun. I then hopped on Twitch and chatted with Impaler (who's a great guy and fellow vaper...WIN!) who had a wealth of newbie advice to hand on.

Really looking forward to being part of the community. My finger is already hovering over the Project Phoenix "Overlord" button...that Thunderbolt just looks thexay! :huh: Reminds me of the old Summoner/Thor chassis from MW3. I'm also going to pick up a Sarah...I'm not too proud to admit I got a little dew-eyed when I read about her story.

So anywho, great to be here and looking forward to seeing you on on the field. I'll probably be the limping, smoldering mech standing in the lava. :P

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Heya Stargeezer! Great to have you and your friend with us :P

Anything you need just ask!

#3 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thanks MoonUnitBeta! Can I call you Moon, or do you prefer Mr. Beta? Wait...that sounded vaguely naughty, didn't it? Nevermind. LOL

Right now, I'm just absorbing all the info, watching YouTube and Twitch for play-style, reading links, that sort of thing. I really like the drop-in nature of the game...if I only have a half hour or so to play, I can still get in a few matches and have a good time.

From what I'm gathering, it's being suggested a good way to go is to go premium right up front for the extra CB/XP boosts (in addition to the Cadet boost for the first 25 matches.) Is that pretty much the consensus, and if so would picking up that Overlord package be a good place to start?

Thanks for your help and warm welcome. :P

#4 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Overlord is a great way to get lotsa mechs and premium time. For the price it's hard to say no.

However, at this exact time PGI has reduced our C-BIll payout per match. They suggest this is temporary.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2655090

Since premium time is a multiplicative advantage relative to your base C-Bill and XP earning, I'd say use them later than sooner, but generally they are a very good way to help ease the grind.

I had purchased into the Founders Package during closed beta, I have to admit the Premium Time it came with helped me tremendously in the beginning as I was mastering my first few mechs and buying my first few mechs.

After a while you have enough base competence to fall back on.

Now, expanding a bit on economics, once you have too much mech-specific XP I suggest you take advantage of periodic "double XP->GXP conversion" promotions. If you are confused as to what XP and GXP are, read around or ask! :P

See you around the battlefield, feel free to add me to your friend list and say hello.

#5 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

First of all, welcome to the game!

View PostStarGeezer, on 16 August 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

From what I'm gathering, it's being suggested a good way to go is to go premium right up front for the extra CB/XP boosts (in addition to the Cadet boost for the first 25 matches.) Is that pretty much the consensus, and if so would picking up that Overlord package be a good place to start?

The premium time will boost your cadet bonus quite a bit, so if you can spare the money, a day or two of premium time until your 25 cadet matches are over are certainly a good idea.
Project Phoenix however is not. The mechs won't be delivered until October 15th, so they will not be of any help for your start now. Personally, I'd hold off investing that much money into Overlord until you played a bit more and got a feeling for the game. You might come to the conclusion that you prefer lights, but dislike the Locust.

View PostItsalrightwithme, on 16 August 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

However, at this exact time PGI has reduced our C-BIll payout per match. They suggest this is temporary.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2655090

There is nothing suggesting that in this post. There have been statements from Support and Paul stating the very opposite. The nerf is here to stay. There might be alternative payouts at some time in the future (which, since we are talking PGI, means at some time within the next three decades), but for now, we are stuck with a significantly worse income.

Edited by Genewen, 16 August 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#6 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hey there.

Uhm, not sure if I can actually welcome you. I'm sort of Dispossessed at the moment. Well not really, as I do have Sarah's Jenner waiting for me, however I don't have a computer able to play the game right now (saving for it though).

Just wanted to say, be careful when choosing a first mech. (Of course getting Sarah's mech and Overlord is personal choice. And I did it...) But what I really mean is evaluate your preferred play style. Get the mech you feel will fit that playstyle best. Then be resolved to eventually get up to three variants of that chassis. Just read about a guy who had about six different mechs and all of them were different chassis.

#7 Kiritumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 120 posts
  • LocationIyanden

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ohey guys! Welcome to the war!

#8 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the great tips. I wasn't aware the Project Phoenix mechs didn't drop until October. That changes some things up a bit. Not that I may not wind up getting it, but may put off the purchase for a month or so while I get my proverbial feet under me, game-wise. Maybe I'll just pick up a Sarah and some credits for now to get me started and see where it leads. Thanks again! :P

#9 Kurkotain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOmnicron persei 8

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Welcome to the game stargeezer.

Feel free to add me to your friends list, i don't play constantly as i used to (because of limited time) but if you see me logged in, drop a line and i'll drop with you. show you through the ropes of mwo.

BTW your first mech will determine how much do you enjoy the initial grind and the game's learning curve, since the cbill payouts are somewhat lacking right now. and every mech needs at least 2.25 mil cbills to end up competitive, to say nothing of the pilot efficiencies which is another can of worms to boot.

I started in a K2 way back in CB (closed beta) and its a pretty versatile, easy to get to know and powerful mech, if somewhat unforgiving to pilot error because of the roles you are expected to fullfill in one of those.

A hunchback is what could be considered the default starter mech for this game, specially the 4p, 4sp and the 4g.
You'll get to try the different weapon loadouts in each of those (ballistic, missile and energy) and buying one of those wont break the bank. each can be configured into multiple roles (flanker, striker, brawler and sniper) and will teach you the importance of all the little details that make or break the mechs such as arm weaponry.

Most important of all, running a medium will teach you the importance of teamwork in the current metagame.

That said, stay motivated and you'll reap the rewards. MWO is a really fun game, with a steep learning curve and high requirements (high spec computer to play properly, pilot skill, tactical thinking and patience) and is unlike most FPS games out there right now. And is very rewarding when you drop into a match and just blow up other mechs.

Edited by Kurkotain, 16 August 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#10 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for your help and warm welcome. :P

The overloard package is the best one they have put together yet. You certainly get the most bang for you buck, more so than the founders packs.

They just nerfed c-bill gain, and a lot of people are upset about it. Premium time is always good, but now may not be the best time to invest. PGI has said that more perfomance c-bill awards are coming, so it may be best to wait till those are implemented before purchasing premium time.

All up to you though, you will still benefit from from the premium, especially if you are just starting and still have your cadet bonus.

#11 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostKurkotain, on 16 August 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

That said, stay motivated and you'll reap the rewards. MWO is a really fun game, with a steep learning curve and high requirements (high spec computer to play properly, pilot skill, tactical thinking and patience) and is unlike most FPS games out there right now. And is very rewarding when you drop into a match and just blow up other mechs.

Excellent advice, thanks Kurkotain! I think my rig can handle the game...just picked up a new gaming rig back in June, and it's loaded for bear (i7 3820, 16G DDR5, SSD/HDD, EVGA GTX 670 OC, for starters.) The tactical thinking and patience isn't a problem either.

Pilot skill, on the other hand... :lol:

I'm not a big FPS fan, but this has a different vibe to it that I'm liking, probably due to my exposure years ago to the Mech universe. I remember playing Mech games as far back as the venerable Commodore 64, and even dabbled in the tabletop versions.

#12 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for your help and warm welcome. :lol:
Can call me anything you want! Most people abbreviate to MUB. Premium time would be great to get at the start. If you plan on gushing for the weekend and playing for a few hours straight each day, you can get away with just 3 days and you’ll be through your 25 matches.

Also, the Overlord package doesn’t give you the 90days premium time right away. The whole package will be delivered to your account on Oct 15th when they publically release the Locust.

#13 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Find some people to play with as well. Like you said, when using coms and playing with your friend the experience is much better.

There are plenty of units out there, but if you are looking for something more causal check out comstar irregulars. They have a ton of pilots and always have a few groups dropping, as well as welcoming new players.

#14 Kurkotain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOmnicron persei 8

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostStarGeezer, on 16 August 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Excellent advice, thanks Kurkotain! I think my rig can handle the game...just picked up a new gaming rig back in June, and it's loaded for bear (i7 3820, 16G DDR5, SSD/HDD, EVGA GTX 670 OC, for starters.) The tactical thinking and patience isn't a problem either.

Pilot skill, on the other hand... :lol:

I'm not a big FPS fan, but this has a different vibe to it that I'm liking, probably due to my exposure years ago to the Mech universe. I remember playing Mech games as far back as the venerable Commodore 64, and even dabbled in the tabletop versions.

Don't worry, you get better.

Thats what's great about mwo: it has the mechanics of a FPS, but it can hardly be considered a twitch shooter. I bet a lot of guys that are CS, BF3 and COD pros crashed against that wall when making the transition.

Its a lot about being in the right position and situation, rather than individual skill carrying on a team.

It's the kind of thing only experience (and lots of it) can teach you.

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 August 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Find some people to play with as well. Like you said, when using coms and playing with your friend the experience is much better.

There are plenty of units out there, but if you are looking for something more causal check out comstar irregulars. They have a ton of pilots and always have a few groups dropping, as well as welcoming new players.

As Roughneck45 said, dropping with friends, in a organized group, especially if you have voice comms makes a world of difference in a game like this.

Th overlord package seems nice, but i'm somewhat reluctant to spend lots of money in this kind of games, its a slipery slope, you know. A friend of mine has spent upwards of $200 on LoL, not that there's something wrong with that or with LoL, it's just not my cup of tea.

As rule of thumb, i just buy MC for mechbays (you never have enough, trust me on this) and saving up to "championize" my favorite variants of various mechs, when its finally available. Most hero mechs are not interesting enough for me, except for 'Misery' the hero stalker and the heat scaling killed it as a direct fire platform since stalkers wither fast under fire. And there are no hero versions of my favorite variants, discounting 'Sarah' which i'm seriously considering.

Btw, vaping FTW

Edited by Kurkotain, 16 August 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#15 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well the Overlord package is a fairly sweet deal, even if you have to wait. 12 mechs and their mechbays, 4 of which are like Hero mechs (okay, you can't sell these 4 but they boost c-bill intake and your ratings with your faction so why would you want to?), and 90 days of premium time. Oh and the medallion thingies which also boost (and stack with the Phoenix mechs bonus) your faction rating.

That means that once you master the Phoenix mechs, you could theoretically sell the 8 normal mechs and use those mech bays for other mechs. Of course you could keep them all, but if you don't want to spend more money on MC for mech bays this is a good option.

Sarah's mech also comes with its own mech bay and is unsellable (but again why would you want to?) and comes with an engine you can swap out for other mechs if you need to. Although you should take it out for a spin every now and then as a sort of "thank you" if you do so.

#16 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Well, here's what I've done so far:
  • Bought a few MC to play with
  • Picked up a Catapult CPLT-K2
  • Grabbed 3 days of Premium for the boosts
  • Donated and got the Sarah Jenner
My buddy (EpicCG) also picked up a mech, a Cataphract CTF-1X. We spent a little while fooling around in the MechLab, and will take them out for a spin tonight. Looking forward to mixing it up with a couple of "real" mechs!

#17 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostStarGeezer, on 16 August 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well, here's what I've done so far:
  • Bought a few MC to play with
  • Picked up a Catapult CPLT-K2
  • Grabbed 3 days of Premium for the boosts
  • Donated and got the Sarah Jenner
My buddy (EpicCG) also picked up a mech, a Cataphract CTF-1X. We spent a little while fooling around in the MechLab, and will take them out for a spin tonight. Looking forward to mixing it up with a couple of "real" mechs!

Just little hint: Sarah's comes with a 300XL engine. What's really great for you now is that this exact engine is one of the best things you can put in a Cattlepult K2. That one has pretty hard-to-hit side torsos, so there is only a very small risk involved. I think I got headshotted more in my K2 than I lost a side torso. You'll also want double heatsinks - those are a must on nearly any configuration and mech.

#18 StarGeezer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostGenewen, on 16 August 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Just little hint: Sarah's comes with a 300XL engine. What's really great for you now is that this exact engine is one of the best things you can put in a Cattlepult K2. That one has pretty hard-to-hit side torsos, so there is only a very small risk involved. I think I got headshotted more in my K2 than I lost a side torso. You'll also want double heatsinks - those are a must on nearly any configuration and mech.

Duly noted, and thanks! Every once in awhile I stumble into serendipity. LOL :lol:

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hello StarGeezer. Wow, it is Geezer? Started to type Gazer. Anyway, I'm Koniving, your local new player helper and occasional grumpy pants.

I'm aware the Phoenix Mechs won't be here for some time, and while you'll probably have through to September or early October to grab that deal so you have time to think it over and get your feet wet.

In the mean time, I see you've picked up a K2 and your friend got a 1X. Solid choices. I recommend that your builds compliment one another. If you snipe, he protects you up close or vice-versa.
For them immediately do the following asap:
  • Upgrade to double heatsinks.
  • Add endo steel structure.
Beyond that, do whatever you please. Part of the game's appeal is customizing to make things your own.

I recommend this armor loadout for the Catapult. Your "front" armor covers 90% of your mech's body. Therefore it should be very high. Ideally higher than listed.

This here is a dirt-cheap basic brawling build with good survive-ability if you're uncertain where to start.

------
For your friend's Cataphract 1x, this armor allocation. His "back" is a lot more accessible, however ideally you'll keep your enemies to your front.

I don't have a recommended build, I've done many things and haven't found something -- which still works mind you -- that would be new player friendly. The 5 LL build doesn't work now.

There is this which I just put together; it runs off of a classic concept. The machine gun is there more for fun than much else, but if he fires it when he's hot he's still doing something. Plus it looks cool. Lots of heatsinks, but he will still need to exercise trigger control and the engine's not cheap, even if it is a standard engine.

There's also this build in the video which isn't that expensive, but it isn't cheap. I can't recommend it as a new player rig but it is good. It uses a combination of pulse and regular lasers with an AC/2, fast standard engine. It's in the vid. Building it, that's something for you to figure out as that's half the fun. :lol:
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 16 August 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#20 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Also, if you plan in advance to play three mechs to get elite bonuses, go all the way to mastery for all three mechs. This allows you to more or less ignore c-bill earnings as far as I can tell. By the time you level up all three, you should have enough to buy your next three.

I wonder if that's the motivation behind the Double XP 1st victory of the day? To level up mechs faster than you can earn money to buy new?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users