Non-Canon Inner Sphere

13 replies to this topic

#1 CW Archer

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Before you all immediately bite my head off just take a few seconds to get what I'm saying.

I know that everyone is very excited about the game following the canon events of the BT timeline, but what if they made a server that didn't follow it? Have real time borders for every realm that update once a day or something, have the fronts constantly moving back and forth opening new planets for conquest.
It would be chaos, but in a fun way. Just think how the IS could be reshaped, maybe the Fed Suns gets beaten to a pulp by Liao, or the FRR becomes the greatest military power. Who knows, instead of a FedCom civil war the Draconis Combine players all decide to kill each other.

Obviously the chances of this happen are non-existent, but I think the idea of something along this would be pretty interesting, especially when the clans show up.

Edited by CW Archer, 12 June 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#2 fieryone

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

That is exactly what the Meta game is going to do from what I understand. As players fight battles for the houses (mercs for their contracts) the size of a faction shifts and changes. Though the BT canon events will still happen, it doesn't mean out faction map won't change.

#3 CW Archer

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I thought it was just border skirmishes, nothing too dramatic since they have to follow the timeline. I'm suggesting the ability to entirely wipe out nations.

#4 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

that wolnt happen

#5 CW Archer

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

If you read the original post I already said it wouldn't, just an intersting thought.

#6 AntiSqueaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think the dev's have it right- keep the "overall" map the same, but let the borders change somewhat depending on who wins more of the Meta Game.

It will be interesting to see how Merc Corps might own planets that would be in Faction space though.

#7 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

Eh... I'm a canon buff, so I'd have to pass on this idea. I like how you said "a separate server," but that would split the community. And plenty of new folks would probably run to it because their buddies who also care nothing about the lore will say that it's better for some reason. I think keeping canon stuff canon will cater to the folks who care about the storyline and expose those who don't really care, thus at least giving them an idea of the bigger picture, rather than just people trying to get the "best" stompy robot of death.

#8 CW Archer

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostAntiSqueaker, on 12 June 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

I think the dev's have it right- keep the "overall" map the same, but let the borders change somewhat depending on who wins more of the Meta Game.

It will be interesting to see how Merc Corps might own planets that would be in Faction space though.

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 12 June 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Eh... I'm a canon buff, so I'd have to pass on this idea. I like how you said "a separate server," but that would split the community. And plenty of new folks would probably run to it because their buddies who also care nothing about the lore will say that it's better for some reason. I think keeping canon stuff canon will cater to the folks who care about the storyline and expose those who don't really care, thus at least giving them an idea of the bigger picture, rather than just people trying to get the "best" stompy robot of death.

Oh I agree, I really like how the Dev's have it as well, was just thinking of something would prove to be interesting. Nothing better than organized chaos I say.

Edited by CW Archer, 12 June 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#9 CW Roy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Lol no one likes their BT more than Archer. People don't have to not love BT to death to want to be able to change the power players hold over the game, instead of following canon.

A day is a day in the life of MWO, anyway. We have a lot of years available to play, so when the Devs decide to pull the game, how will they decide to end things canonically? They can't do it by going day by day, so expect to see those days for days shortened into "we're skipping ahead to get to the interesting parts."

Edited by cw roy, 13 June 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#10 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Developers said their intntions are to be as canon as possible. Doing something like this is exact opposite and poses many more problems than advantages of implementation. :lol:

#11 IIIuminaughty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

TIme Line to me is useless, since we all know what is going to happen :lol:.
No Timeline let Us Shape our own future!!!

LET'S GO FRR!

#12 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

The BT timeline is a solid basis upon which to base the game. The one constant in the BT universe is that nothing will up set the balance between the houses for long. The Star League cme and went as did (will) the Fedcom and the clan invasion. There will be more than enough flux along the borders even if the canon is followed to the letter. The border areas are the locus of the fighting even in the most peaceful of times.
To me, the idea of a universe without a frame work is depressing. I like the idea that there will always be a Lyran presense for the FWL to fight, a constant grinding along the borders of the Fedsuns and the Combine and that the Capellans will still be there to make things interesting. As a mech warrior, my job (and source of fun) is the combat between the giant robots that seem to draw so many to this game. This is not a venue to prove one's worth in the world; IT IS A GAME!There will be restrictions, but those restrictions will give the game character and bring out the best in the players. To succeed, one must embrace the limitations and learn to use what IS there to good effect. Lert the devs control the universe, I want to control the battlefield!

#13 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostStrataDragoon, on 13 June 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

TIme Line to me is useless, since we all know what is going to happen ^_^.
No Timeline let Us Shape our own future!!!

LET'S GO FRR!

Bah, you'll not only end up serving genetically enhanced killing machines, they're GODLESS killing machines. Better accept your fate.

#14 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostCW Archer, on 12 June 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Before you all immediately bite my head off just take a few seconds to get what I'm saying.

I know that everyone is very excited about the game following the canon events of the BT timeline, but what if they made a server that didn't follow it? Have real time borders for every realm that update once a day or something, have the fronts constantly moving back and forth opening new planets for conquest.
It would be chaos, but in a fun way. Just think how the IS could be reshaped, maybe the Fed Suns gets beaten to a pulp by Liao, or the FRR becomes the greatest military power. Who knows, instead of a FedCom civil war the Draconis Combine players all decide to kill each other.

Obviously the chances of this happen are non-existent, but I think the idea of something along this would be pretty interesting, especially when the clans show up.

"SERVER" there will be only ONE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users