Jump to content

Kintaro Mech - Your Thoughts


92 replies to this topic

#1 igavemymomkoolaid

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 96 posts
  • LocationHessia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

If you own the Kintaro mech, what are your thoughts? Is it a well balanced mech? Did you find severe weak spots? What are the strong points?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ThermidorFallen

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well so far the common complaint is that it's center torso hit-box is pretty much 75% of it's torso and it's arms don't shield it very much from the side, so it's very easy to CT core a Kintaro (I've experienced this from both sides!).

I've only used the Golden Boy where you have to focus on either LRMs or SRMs (which appears to be the same for all Kintaro but not sure how the tubes limit on the other variants). LRMs don't feel good on the GB for me so I ended up with SRM4/6s with Med lasers and Tag which proved to be incredibly good. I ended up firing the SRMs as 2 x 4, 2 x 6 and 6 due to arm/torso placing and doors on the CT (which give you a 10% defense buff on the CT as long as their closed btw) which does make brawling a bit awkward as it's not easy to fire - torso twist - fire. As a fire support Mech it's damn devastating though, Wait for your enemies to engange your assaults then fire into their sides back. With the current SRM buff you deal hellish damage.

Frankly though, the Golden Boy seems to me to have very limited options, if you like the idea of close range SRM Mech blasting then it's good but apart from that it doesn't seem to do much else. Don't expect to out last opponents with that huge CT hit-box too, you're better off with hit and runs (which is probably easier in the other, faster variants) and only engaging when you're not being targeted, which is pretty major for mediums anyway.

I like the Golden Boy though and will be getting 2 other Kintaro variants but I feel they will all end up as SRM boats.

P.S. The Kintaro should be nicknamed Hamtaro....just cause.....

Edited by ThermidorFallen, 20 August 2013 - 01:57 PM.


#3 Spheroid

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,954 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Streaks got a massive buff. I easily killed both a Spider and a Jenner with only four streaks. I had accidently left the SRM2 in the CT of the Kintaro-18. This is my first match mind you with only the 275 STD and no mech efficiencies. Going to try some more after putting a 350XL in.

Edited by Spheroid, 20 August 2013 - 05:11 PM.


#4 Revorn

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Atm i use the GB and the Kto-18 bouth with 5 LRM5 Setup and i would say, they perform well at Longrange.


After the Hotix i maybe try an Streakbuild. Should be funny with 360 degree Lock. :P

#5 Win Ott

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

We had a good thread going about Golden Boy here. I've actually managed to make GB into a respectable fighter. He can't hold his own solo in a straight fight with assaults or heavies, but he's tough on lights and fast enough to dance with other mediums. But my GB rig works best when the PUG has some cohesion and strategy. If I can hold just behind the battlefront, I can ruin other mech's day with rapid-fire lrm5's. And if lights harass the line, he can give them some incentive to hunt elsewhere.

I'm working on the Kintaro 18 now. So far, lots of steaks and a fast engine are the most effective build for me. One good thing about the big CT: XL engines have little downside. Only once, in dozens, and dozens of matches have I died from anything other than a CT shot.

#6 Deathlike

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

The Kintaro is closest to being a DOA mech, outside of the fact that it is too easy to core its CT.

Just hope Sept 3 doesn't disappoint.

#7 PEEFsmash

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostWin Ott, on 20 August 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

We had a good thread going about Golden Boy here. I've actually managed to make GB into a respectable fighter. He can't hold his own solo in a straight fight with assaults or heavies, but he's tough on lights and fast enough to dance with other mediums. But my GB rig works best when the PUG has some cohesion and strategy. If I can hold just behind the battlefront, I can ruin other mech's day with rapid-fire lrm5's. And if lights harass the line, he can give them some incentive to hunt elsewhere.

I'm working on the Kintaro 18 now. So far, lots of steaks and a fast engine are the most effective build for me. One good thing about the big CT: XL engines have little downside. Only once, in dozens, and dozens of matches have I died from anything other than a CT shot.


Sorry but the mech you made can't do **** against any optimized heavy/assault build at a high level of play. And I do mean it cannot do jack **** whatsoever. You will just get shot twice in the CT and die.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 20 August 2013 - 06:52 PM.


#8 Win Ott

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 20 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:


Sorry but the mech you made can't do **** against any optimized heavy/assault build at a high level of play. And I do mean it cannot do jack **** whatsoever. You will just get shot twice in the CT and die.


I just played a game with my K-18. We had a team-shooter on my team who stripped all my armor off my CT and critted my rear CT before we even had contact with the enemy. I played through most of the game, racked up 456 damage points, 2 kills, and 3 assists. I'm not the best player out here, but I'm not bad in a PUG fight. I can make the Kintaro a mech to be reckoned with. Consider it a challenge to those players with "high skill levels", eh?

#9 General Taskeen

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

I shoot them on sight.

Best advice you'll get in a match, "Shoot the Kintaro's, they're easy C-Bills."

#10 Wriath

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Pretty fond of them, they make a better high mobility lrm platform than a treb, if you're fighting at midranges and avoiding attention with a penta lrm 5 build you can do quite well. None of the other good lrm boats can match it's speed/firepower ratio.

#11 Deathlike

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 20 August 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

I shoot them on sight.

Best advice you'll get in a match, "Shoot the Kintaro's, they're easy C-Bills."


The sad thing is... I think an Awesome would put up a better fight.

#12 Spheroid

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,954 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

I thought tube count was limited? I had zero trouble launching 2xLRM15 in one salvo. Is smurfy not up to date? Why should I run a Treb if this is true? Maybe I will just level up via lurming.

#13 New Day

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 20 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:


Sorry but the mech you made can't do **** against any optimized heavy/assault build at a high level of play. And I do mean it cannot do jack **** whatsoever. You will just get shot twice in the CT and die.

Why did you come to this thread?

Also: Splataro

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 20 August 2013 - 09:38 PM.


#14 PEEFsmash

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 20 August 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Why did you come to this thread?

Also: Splataro


The thread was "Kintaro mech your thoughts." I came to make sure nobody was pretending like the Kintaro was good

#15 LegoPirate

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

other then the magnetic ct, seems like nothing these mechs can do that the cent a-al cant do, with broken hitboxes and almost the exact same speed. you cant even spam surms on them without heat issues.

the only thing you can really do is put a decent sized xl and run it like a super fast centbomb, but wont be able to tell if thats even useful until the ct gets fixed.

#16 Joey Tankblaster

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

Bought a Kintaro-18 yesterday loaded with XL300, 2xLL, 5xSSRMs and had some pretty decent rounds. Can't say how this ends in the long-term when the players finally recognize KTO's weak spots.

Still believe that with the upcoming CT-fix this mech might be a stong harasser and backstabber.

Next loadout will probably be XL300, 2xLL, 2xSRM6+Artemis.

#17 New Day

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 20 August 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Bought a Kintaro-18 yesterday loaded with XL300, 2xLL, 5xSSRMs and had some pretty decent rounds. Can't say how this ends in the long-term when the players finally recognize KTO's weak spots.

Still believe that with the upcoming CT-fix this mech might be a stong harasser and backstabber.

Next loadout will probably be XL300, 2xLL, 2xSRM6+Artemis.

Try 5xSRM6. The sound of it firing is great.

#18 Johnny Reb

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostWriath, on 20 August 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Pretty fond of them, they make a better high mobility lrm platform than a treb, if you're fighting at midranges and avoiding attention with a penta lrm 5 build you can do quite well. None of the other good lrm boats can match it's speed/firepower ratio.

I agree, If you know your a walking CT, then lrms are great with mech! If you can last.

#19 Joey Tankblaster

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 20 August 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Try 5xSRM6. The sound of it firing is great.


Can you supply a build to me? Thx.

#20 New Day

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 21 August 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:


Can you supply a build to me? Thx.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4465914a2482637
Less fire power, but more speed
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2d1c6865b88d77a





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users