Kintaro Mech - Your Thoughts

92 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostBatch1972, on 23 August 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I'm currently leveling 2 kintaro's, 1 with 1 ER PPC & 5 SSRM2, the other with 2 ER PPC's and 2 MLasers. It's hard going. The CT hit box is so broken it's not funny. I'd strongly advise not using them until that is fixed.

Well, got my KTO-18 thru elite and the other 2 thru basic in two nights. Now, I went lrm heavy for them all and I have premium w/ good 1st win of night multi wins luck, still with out both could had done it at least by the end of the weekend. Also, my KTO-18 is at 16,000 est. currently will have it mastered by tomorrow night.

#42 Tharkan Stuermer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

View Postigavemymomkoolaid, on 20 August 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

If you own the Kintaro mech, what are your thoughts? Is it a well balanced mech? Did you find severe weak spots? What are the strong points?

Thanks in advance.

So far, I am piloting a KTO-18 as a brawler, and I like it very much. The heat penalty is an issue, of course, but one that you can usually handle, only maps like tourmaline, or Terra Therma are annoying. However, since the HSR mechanics are broken, the SRMs are virtually useless against lights. You can score hits with an entire salvo, but you won't do any damage worth mentioning to light Mechs. They still work well against most medium, heavy, and assault Mechs, though.

#43 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

Here are my current Kintaro builds. I feel the chassis is very flexible in the engines you can install. You can basically throw any spare engine in with minor variations in loadout to adjust mass.

KTO-18 Streaktaro
The Kintaro-18 in my opinion is the best variant. I should have it elited by the end of today. It is very competitve. It can kill any light and has no problems engaging isolated assualts. I do have a 360XL and 300XL I could also use but the current loadout does not warrant change at this time.

KTO-19 LRM35
A testbed variant that I am leaving with ferro to evaluate standard engines once they patch the hitbox. Nothing really special here, simply a heavier Treb clone. Variation could revolve around 255, 260 or the original 275 engines as well as up or downgrading the launchers.

KTO-20 LRM40
Very slow missile support with deep ammo bins. I haven't committed to artemis yet because having line of sight could be a death sentence in the Kintaro. I do not like the energy hardpoint layout on the KTO-20 at all but I feel throwing a TAG in is one thing that you can do.

Edited by Spheroid, 24 August 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#44 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think the "ease" of coring a Kintaro has been greatly exagerated. I have feeling that the people who think it's too easy to core are used to piloting heavies/assualts. As a dedicated medium pilot I've found that strictly from a geometry/armor POV, this is the most legitmately durable medium (I say that because of the damage transfer issues of the Cent that make the damn thing near immortal), and I haven't even bothered to pop an XL in the thing, just using it at stock speed. .

So far it makes a good striker/brawler and just from playing around in the lab it looks like it will make an excellent LRM boat, especially with the dynamic tubes.

Edited by LauLiao, 24 August 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#45 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

Medium missile boats they are indeed. The amount of lrms you can put on these things is ridiculous.

55 tons, slow XL engine and you are basically a Stalker without armor.

I've made 3 Kintaro's i like so far.

One is a slow, simple 60 LRM boat with 2 Medlrs.

One carries 2 LLsr, 2 MedLsr and 30 Lrms.

And the last one has 4xArtemis Srm6, 2 MedLsr, 280X

Edited by Red Line Pilot, 27 August 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#46 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Switched out the 5xALRM5 joke loadout into 1xALRM10, 1xALRM20 and 1xERPPC and try to play it serious.

What is this I don't even....
Spoiler

Play LRM support and fire from 400~600m range into brawl, ERPPC to uncloak DDC.

Edited by xengk, 28 August 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#47 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Late to the thread, but here is my 2cents.

This week I was looking for another chassis to work on, had a bunch of MC I had bought last month sitting there, didn't like the cbill nerf, wanted a higher cbill earnings, so I ponied up for the Golden Boy.

I have since bought the KTO 20, then today the KTO 19. I used cbills for those two.

It's a tough mech to play well, but I like that. Kinda tired of ranged warfare, and the KTO is best inside 270 meters, as it is a good SRM platform.

My best build is as a Light Hunter.

I use the KTO 19, add a XL360, Endo, Fero, 3 ML and 4 SSRM's with 300 rounds, and most important, thanks FlyingScotsman for the tip, BAP. No hiding behind ECM... Streaks never miss.

I WRECK enemy light mechs. My pre speed tweak speed is 110 or so, so Spiders and Jenners cant pull away from the 270 meter range of mySSRM very quickly once they realize what I'm packing. My armor allows me to drop any light one on one. If I get wolf packed, oh well. But that hasn't happened much. I wish I could squeeze in 3 Medium Pluse Lasers, I may try 3 small pulse lasers, but that 540 meter max range on medium lasers is nice to touch things semi far away.

I can not taken on heavys or assaults one on one with this build. But if the heavy or assault is pre occupied, I can add a lot of damage tangentially, and have the speed to pull away if the situation gets hairy.

The KTO is great in its intended job...

Role warfare....

#48 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 28 August 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

It's a tough mech to play well, but I like that.

The KTO is great in its intended job...

Role warfare....

I couldn't have said it better (I tried earlier in the thread).

My GB is a great mid-range lrm support to frontline heavies and assaults. My K-18 is swift and works well in base cp/defense and protection for the line mechs from harassment by lights and mediums. Both can administer the coup de grace to battle-torn assaults later in the game.

I need one more KTO, I may try the 20 next.

#49 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

After being astonished by my K18, I pick up the K20 and will be playing it as energy support.
2x LLaz
2x MLaz
3x LRM5
AMS
XL 300
16 DHS

#50 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

What do you all think of these Kintaro builds? I'm trying to figure out if I want this or the Victor for my next mech. I'm mostly waiting to see what they do with the hitboxes.

KTO-18 Flanker

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...088c3286c03a64d

KTO-19 Light Hunter

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d47605028cc71e7

KTO-20 Mid-Range Support/Rear Guard

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f0c9338c88d1041

GB LRMs

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...00f271cd2425149

#51 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostPastor Priest, on 31 August 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

What do you all think of these Kintaro builds? I'm trying to figure out if I want this or the Victor for my next mech. I'm mostly waiting to see what they do with the hitboxes.

KTO-19 Light Hunter

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d47605028cc71e7

I would drop the Llas for a Mlas and increase the streak ammo ending up either underweight with the 350XL or at 55 tons with a 360XL.

#52 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

I went lrm with all mine over concern with the large CT, but I wasn't happy with the build, so reverted to srm far from optimised build, but reasonably happy with it, people target them, so its important to keep moving and try not to be alone, works best as a support mech nipping out hitting and getting away before they concentrate fire, open fields like alpine are usually dedly for it, best maps are lots of close buildings..

generally I like them more than I thought I would and once CT gets that fix.. lol..will be better

#53 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

All LRM works well for the GB, as it is the slowest of the KTO's. All the others seem to have a variety of good loadouts.

Whatever you use, the trick seems to be: Fight Dirty. Run with lights or tuck in with a line of assaults. Never be the center of a fight. Hit em where they're hurt and when they are busy fighting other mechs. See a light trying to steal home? A KTO can ruin his plans in a hurry. Take advantage of your speed and always keep an eye out for injured mechs and strays. You don't fight fair and and you don't care what they call you when you lob a continuous stream of lrms over the shoulder of your Atlas DDC. You are a ******* mech, so remember to act like one. 3:)

#54 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postxengk, on 28 August 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Switched out the 5xALRM5 joke loadout into 1xALRM10, 1xALRM20 and 1xERPPC and try to play it serious.

What is this I don't even....
Spoiler

Play LRM support and fire from 400~600m range into brawl, ERPPC to uncloak DDC.

How is your lrm kintaro with 30 missiles a salvo somehow legitimate and the 5 lrm5 is a joke, I can send my lrm5 all out in a salvo of 25 only 5 less than yours plus my grouping will be tighter.

edit: here is my KTO-18 build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...862c26618de3ed7

Edited by Johnny Reb, 31 August 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#55 Straylight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Outreach

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

That isn't the competitive mindset. Why would I run a Kintaro like a boss and maybe do as well as the average Centurion, when I could run a Centurion and get 600-700 damage a game and actually win my games and be the most important player out there? Nobody is going to fear your Kintaro at a high level of play. I haven't been killed by one yet, and probably won't get killed by one in the next month, or perhaps ever. You could strap on a couple Large Lasers/PPCs and steal some kills, but there are other mechs that are better at that. The Kintaro, as it currently stands, is the worst Medium, and in contention for the worst mech in the game. It does NOTHING that another mech cannot do better. If you want to dominate and win, then leave the Kintaro at home until the CT fix. Then pick the Kintaro up at that point, and see if the CT fix really changed much.

And yes Mav. Things haven't developed in this community apparently.

Here's the thing I think you're failing to understand: most of us here aren't involved in "top-tier" competitive play and probably never will be thanks to some combination of lack of time, lack of ability, or disdain for the attitude it seems to develop in players. Therefore, we don't care what the 'mech is like in organized 12v12.

What we DO care about is what the 'mech is like where we play, which is mostly solo or 2-4-mans. That type of play is effectively a different metagame from yours. What works in 12v12 doesn't necessarily work in solo play, and 'mechs that are "useless" in 12v12 can have some merit solo or in small groups, playing against other solos and small groups.

There's also a second aspect of a competitive mindset that you're missing. Call it self-competitive if you will; it's the desire to improve on one's own past performances, and in the case of build-sensitive games like MWO, sometimes the desire to see if you can hone a "bad" choice enough to do well with it.

Don't think "Why take a Kintaro when a Centurion is better in every way?", but instead think "What says more about my skill as a pilot: a 700-damage, 4-kill drop in a Centurion, or a 700-damage, 4-kill drop in a Kintaro?"

I don't care a bit if I'm the "most important player". I don't care a bit if I win in the most efficient manner possible. What I do care about is ( a ) am I pushing my skills to improve, and ( b ) did I have fun doing it?

I feel kind of sorry for anyone whose only objective is to win at the expense of everything else. That sounds dull, and is missing the point.

#56 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 31 August 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

How is your lrm kintaro with 30 missiles a salvo somehow legitimate and the 5 lrm5 is a joke, I can send my lrm5 all out in a salvo of 25 only 5 less than yours plus my grouping will be tighter.

edit: here is my KTO-18 build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...862c26618de3ed7

Probably because my 5xLRM5 K18 wasn't optimized.
I took a stock K18, upgrade to DH and ES, replace all missile with LRM5 and load up on as much ammo I can carry.
KTO-18
Also LRM5's cooldown is 1 second faster than 10s and 20s, so you can keep up LRM pressure and DPS. If you split them into 2 groups and timed your trigger, you virtually never stop firing missiles.
Finding a lone mech with no AMS and chain firing LRM5 makes them hard to retaliate. :D

After the rebuild, the ERPPC really makes a different at uncloaking the enemy team.
I don't carry TAG on the K18 as I find the arm too low to use it properly unless you are standing in the open, much like the hunchback's hand lasers.

Edited by xengk, 01 September 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#57 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostCathy, on 31 August 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

generally I like them more than I thought I would and once CT gets that fix.. lol..will be better

I don't know man, with the huge CT I can afford to run my KTs with very little side armour giving me 2 extra tonnes to play with.
I usually put only 20 point on each side, I heard Koniving is a lot more hardcore and run with 10 or less.

After they fix the hitbox I will have to scrap up the tonnage to protect my sides.

Edited by xengk, 01 September 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#58 Onis4242

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

View Postxengk, on 01 September 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Probably because my 5xLRM5 K18 wasn't optimized.
I took a stock K18, upgrade to DH and ES, replace all missile with LRM5 and load up on as much ammo I can carry.
KTO-18
Also LRM5's cooldown is 1 second faster than 10s and 20s, so you can keep up LRM pressure and DPS. If you split them into 2 groups and timed your trigger, you virtually never stop firing missiles.
Finding a lone mech with no AMS and chain firing LRM5 makes them hard to retaliate. :D

After the rebuild, the ERPPC really makes a different at uncloaking the enemy team.
I don't carry TAG on the K18 as I find the arm too low to use it properly unless you are standing in the open, much like the hunchback's hand lasers.

I like your setup here, I generally have been running similar builds on my KTO's as well. Some longish range laser, either a LLas, ER LLas, PPC etc., some LRMs depending on variant, and some med lasers for backup.

I will say though, while your thought process on the LRM 5's is right, its only partially correct. Yes you can stagger the 5's and send a stream of missiles which is great disruption and gives some nasty cockpit shake, however the problem with this is AMS. AMS can cut through small salvos of 5 or even most of a LRM 10 easily. A stream of small salvos gets ripped apart by AMS badly, however a bigger group of missiles is harder for AMS to deal with. It may cut through 5 streams of 5 LRMS and hit 4/5 missiles in each salvo, but a group of 25 it hits 4/25 missiles, resulting in a greater effective punch.

Also, I've found that with so much ECM and long range battles, its hard to keep a steady lock on something long enough for prolonged LRM assault. So I have personally had better success with less frequent but bigger LRM attacks getting more of my damage on target. However your playstyle may vary and it works out well for you, I just haven't had that experience.

I will agree with most people here though, the Kintaro is tremendously fun and effective for me. I also feel the "CT Magnet" has been greatly exaggerated. I've been down to <30% total health numerous times and frequently am one of the last 3 standing Mechs. Play smart and don't take prolonged CT exposure like any other Mech and you survive just fine, I don't honestly think the CT is any worse than a lot of other Mechs out there.

#59 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostOnis4242, on 01 September 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

I like your setup here, I generally have been running similar builds on my KTO's as well. Some longish range laser, either a LLas, ER LLas, PPC etc., some LRMs depending on variant, and some med lasers for backup.

I will say though, while your thought process on the LRM 5's is right, its only partially correct. Yes you can stagger the 5's and send a stream of missiles which is great disruption and gives some nasty cockpit shake, however the problem with this is AMS. AMS can cut through small salvos of 5 or even most of a LRM 10 easily. A stream of small salvos gets ripped apart by AMS badly, however a bigger group of missiles is harder for AMS to deal with. It may cut through 5 streams of 5 LRMS and hit 4/5 missiles in each salvo, but a group of 25 it hits 4/25 missiles, resulting in a greater effective punch.

Also, I've found that with so much ECM and long range battles, its hard to keep a steady lock on something long enough for prolonged LRM assault. So I have personally had better success with less frequent but bigger LRM attacks getting more of my damage on target. However your playstyle may vary and it works out well for you, I just haven't had that experience.

I will agree with most people here though, the Kintaro is tremendously fun and effective for me. I also feel the "CT Magnet" has been greatly exaggerated. I've been down to <30% total health numerous times and frequently am one of the last 3 standing Mechs. Play smart and don't take prolonged CT exposure like any other Mech and you survive just fine, I don't honestly think the CT is any worse than a lot of other Mechs out there.

Yup, when I encounter target with AMS, I just alpha all my tubes sending 25 missiles to overwhelm the target.

The LRM5 stream is used when I find a lone mech with no AMS, usually a 2PPCGR Highlander trying to snipe from behind enemy line. Recently also start encountering 2GR Jags sniper who sacrifice AMS for more ammo.
My LRM30 build however doesn't counter these sniper very well.

The CT is indeed rather large, I run my KTs with minimal side armour and only dies from it a handful of times. But you can work that to your advantage to run XL and trim side armour for more weight. Much like how most of the Hunchback 4G's hump have almost no back armour.
I have game where I survive with no armour or a cherry red CT.

Speed to disengage and find cover is the key to the KT's survival.

#60 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postxengk, on 01 September 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

I don't know man, with the huge CT I can afford to run my KTs with very little side armour giving me 2 extra tonnes to play with.
I usually put only 20 point on each side, I heard Koniving is a lot more hardcore and run with 10 or less.

After they fix the hitbox I will have to scrap up the tonnage to protect my sides.

I'm worried about that too. I've grown used to the CT. It's the only part of the chassis I have to protect. Plus, there is absolutely no downside to installing XL engines. I'd use this mech even without a fix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users