68 replies to this topic

#41 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

270 standard engines are probably the goto engines for the 4Ps. You have plenty of options between 250 and 270 (in .5 increments) w/o making the extra 1 ton jump to the 275 with the extra heatsink slot... unless you're using XL.

275 engine hunchbacks are generally overkill IMO. The Cent has a greater use for the 275 engine (to crit buffer the 2 meds it carries in its CT).

#42 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 24 August 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Interesting trade offs. I am pretty happy with my 260 4P with 17DHS and AMS. I don't know how you guys use nine mlas that is a pretty hot alpha.

Well before the heat penalties you had like 2 alphas and you reached overheating with ease (so the config was already extreme), now you simply have to break the groups, i use to fire 4+2 (arms) or 3+2 (arms) so it's manageable and does one hell of pinpoint damage, with all the risks of the hunch taken for cqb.

View PostCuddlytron, on 24 August 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Srsly, y'all. I've been testing this little beastie since the patch, and I LURRRVS it. :)

HBK-4G

Just don't stop moving so your hunch isn't an easy target. Most fun I've ever had in a HBK. I've played HBKs since I started this game, and they've always been my main ride. By far my fav load-out so far!

Nope, I've never equipped a XL engine in my hunchies, that's purely suicidal xD.

#43 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm fairly sure I've not seen this take on the 4P before. The goal is to have short beam duration to take advantage of the increased speed.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2271b0e2510bd00

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9b513aaf098a7e3

And here's a light hunter, I guess.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...474a9ac6b3efe45

#44 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

I've been running that 4SP too, not sure what to think of it yet.

#45 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Has anyone tried the Gaussback with a 275 engine? Something of this ilk looks kinda nice: HBK-4G

I would be interested to hear from those with experience about whether the Gauss Rifle is a huge liability paired with a XL on this mech, or if it's a good build. I imagine the explosive nature of the GR could easily rain on your parade in a HBK. I'll be trying it out for kicks myself here soon...

UPDATE:

I gave it a whirl and had a good match with it. Running around with that kind of long range punch at 98kmph is pretty fantastic. The MLs and MGs are great for added killpower up close once you've softened the target with a few gauss slugs. However, that GR in the torso is just too easy to pop...

Edited by Cuddlytron, 25 August 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#46 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have actually gone back to my AC20. It has been slightly better, which I attribute to play style as much as anything. I just picture my HBK4G as brawler. I even lowered the engine to a 250 to add another ton of ammo. In the end, I actually preferred the AC10 over the LBX, as I like the range a bit more. Well, the fact that there is no spread at range I should say.

#47 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

I used to run my 4Ps with ALL THE LAZORS. 9ML. 3ML+6MPL. Every hardpoint filled.

I've found that, while those builds are great for surprise attacks, they just run too hot for extended brawls. To improve heat efficiency, I tried a few combinations running 6 lasers total (3 in arms and head, 3 in hunch) and filled up on DHS.

Just had a 7 kill match with a 4P running STD 260, 3 MPL (arms and head), 3 ML (hunch). Still a bit hot, but much better than previous builds. Allows for much more sustained fire.

I'll be trying this STD 275 build next: HBK-4P

#48 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

You should give the 4P from the OP a try. ^^

That 4P you list here looks like it is a bit too heat efficient (if such a thing exists)

#49 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostRed Line Pilot, on 24 August 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Maybe it is too heat efficient? It is ok to get to 99% heat ;-)
You could swap a HS for 2 more small lasers.

Thank you ! I swapped out one x2 heat sink for two more small Laz and it worked great. I don't notice any difference is the heat at all. In fact I would say that (for me) its the perfect Medium Mech giving my Cent A a run for its money.

I also noticed that if you put the small laz on chain fire you can continue to shoot and still cool down all be it very slowly (on a non hot map). Very handy if an enemy of on its last legs and you will over heat if you alpha.

The only way I can see to improve this would be to change the mech class it´s self .

My Dream ´Hunchback¨ is 5 tons heaver at 55 tons 2 jump jets and 3 tons of Armour the rest just as is :P) ....a man can dream.

#50 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

The 275 upgrade benefits the Small Laser 4P the most in terms of Stanard Engines.

4P 6xSmall Laser 3xMedium Laser 1xAMS 18xDHS

The for SP can do well at 275XL if you use Medium Lasers instead of Medium Pulse Lasers.

4SP 5xMedium Laser 2xSRM6+A 3xSRM Ammo 1xAMS 14DHS XL Engine

4G/4H can go fast Gauss Sniper

4G/4H 3xMedium Laser 1xGauss 4xGauss Ammo 1xAMS XL Engine

4J can carry two LRM15+As. You can scrap the AMS for some extra ammo, but it should be able to muscle through AMS.

4J 2xLRM15+A 3xLRM Ammo 2xMedium Laser 1xAMS XL Engine

Edited by Elizander, 28 August 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#51 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I really don't like all those XL's on those hunchies :S

Why do you need to make an LRM boat so fast?

You can make that 4H with Gaus with a standard engine, add 2 small lasers and still go 74 kp/h.

The classic 4SP with an XL to add a bigger engine, AMS, a heatsink and a ton of ammo. I don't think that is worth the risk.

The only load out that really benefits from the 275 that i've found so far is the 4P.
The 4SP with 275 is OK-ish but too hot and not worth the effort.

There is one more thing i want to try. It is some sort of AC build with a 275 engine. I'll report back here when i've build and played with something.

#52 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

View PostRed Line Pilot, on 28 August 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Why do you need to make an LRM boat so fast?

*looks up at thread title*

Because it's the 275 engine hunchback thread? ;)

#53 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

haha, good point XD

But i mean that the slower alternative seems to be better.

#54 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:36 AM

Unless you have serious ammo issues, the bigger engine is nice to have. You get to cap effectively in place of dead/nonexistent lights, you get to reposition out of harm's way easy, and you are much harder to kill once something finally finds you.

#55 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:49 AM

This is what I ended up with on the HBK-4P.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...94e31ba167376af

Why I use this rather than ml builds is that the 'beam time' of the sl's and mpl's is short meaning you can shoot one group (either 6 sl's or 3 mpl's) quickly, turn and twist and shoot the other one, turn and twist. Rinse and repeat. Each group delivers 18 damage quickly and you scoot quickly at 96.2kph and you're durable thanks to the STD engine.

The only downside is the range which is very limited. You have to ambush and be patient and pick your moments.

But it's a great build and I found it to be extremely effective (and incredibly fun).

#56 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

I have been playing around with the HBK4H and bigger engines a bit now.

It is hard to come up with something better than the 250STD, AC20 + lsrs build.

I went for a 270 instead of a 275. That additional ton for an engine heat sink isn't needed.
HBK 4H
LB 10-X (3t ammo)
2 MLsr
3 SLsr
STD 270
11 DHS
ES
FF

Something similar with an AC10 is possible. You switch out the LB 10-X and one heat sink for an AC10. I'm not too happy with this build though. That AC10 is hard to use on mid/long range. And your small lasers won't work in such a skirmish fight. While a LB 10-X becomes better the closer you get.

It keeps surprising me how nasty 2 Mlsr and 3 SLsr at close range are.

#57 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

I rebought the H yesterday, to try out a LRM Hunchback. I quickly reaffirmed that I dont like and and not worth a darn as a LRM user, so had to quickly change plans. I just stuffed in the usual 2xSRM6 and 5 slas. I coupled it with and XL 275. So I have the perfect recipe for disaster, XL engine, no weapon that can reach over 270 meters.

So I try to hold back, and wait to jump in after the engagement starts. I run, hoping for the best, expecting the worse. First game, 2 kills, 526 damage. Hmm, well, luck happens, lets try again. Second game, 1 kill, 472 damage. Hmm, still not to shabby, survived both games. Third game 3 kills, 965 damage. What the heck, who spiked my diet Pepsi! The night progressed on that path, I had a couple real clinkers, both no kills, both losses, one under 200 damage one 242. Besides those two games, I never went below 400 damage but once, and that was a 2 kill 350ish game.

Could be a lucky streak, but that mech is a ton of fun to play. The damage is coming from the SRM's, though spread to heck and gone, but the killing mostly comes from the pin point slas shots. Really a fun mech, and so far, much more survivable than I would have imagined.

#58 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Postslayerkdm, on 30 August 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I rebought the H yesterday, to try out a LRM Hunchback. I quickly reaffirmed that I dont like and and not worth a darn as a LRM user, so had to quickly change plans. I just stuffed in the usual 2xSRM6 and 5 slas. I coupled it with and XL 275. So I have the perfect recipe for disaster, XL engine, no weapon that can reach over 270 meters.

So I try to hold back, and wait to jump in after the engagement starts. I run, hoping for the best, expecting the worse. First game, 2 kills, 526 damage. Hmm, well, luck happens, lets try again. Second game, 1 kill, 472 damage. Hmm, still not to shabby, survived both games. Third game 3 kills, 965 damage. What the heck, who spiked my diet Pepsi! The night progressed on that path, I had a couple real clinkers, both no kills, both losses, one under 200 damage one 242. Besides those two games, I never went below 400 damage but once, and that was a 2 kill 350ish game.

Could be a lucky streak, but that mech is a ton of fun to play. The damage is coming from the SRM's, though spread to heck and gone, but the killing mostly comes from the pin point slas shots. Really a fun mech, and so far, much more survivable than I would have imagined.

Yup. I can vouch for the 4J SRM setup. I have tested it and find that it can outperform the 4SP SRM build. The SRMS all in the hunch from my testing have allowed the missiles to have a tighter spread and therefore have more precise accuracy. This enables it to be a very effective close range ambusher. Many people only use the 4J as an LRM boat with laser support and believe that the SRM's are only useful in the 4SP. The 4SP still isn't outperformed entirely it can lose a side torso and keep going with the other side but.. the 4J with srms can be quite scary indeed.

#59 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

Now you got me really intrigued ^^

Does that mech look something like this?

I would be scared too going into a brawl with that hunch and CL, but that load out is definitely scary! It is basically a 250STD HBK with two more MLsr and more speed.
So you try to keep the fight shorter to cool and hide to cool down?

#60 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostRed Line Pilot, on 31 August 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

Now you got me really intrigued ^^

Does that mech look something like this?

I would be scared too going into a brawl with that hunch and CL, but that load out is definitely scary! It is basically a 250STD HBK with two more MLsr and more speed.
So you try to keep the fight shorter to cool and hide to cool down?

It's similar but I stick with a standard engine as shown here. I don't run an XL engine and I play it much like my other hunchback builds. Stick with an assault and let the enemy come to you. 44 Firepower hits hard especially when the missiles are more clumped together being in one spot. The idea is to provide fire support when the enemy has juicier targets than yourself and seek shelter when you're targeted. You can also constantly switch targets until you find a juicy injured target before proceeding to move in, kill it, and move out which can be done very quickly. This build isn't bad you just need to pick your fights wisely since you need to be pretty close to get the most use out of it. My favorite tactic is to find a banged up atlas, come up behind it, and fire a cluster in their back blowing it out before quickly moving on.

The build you proposed is one I've been experimenting with but it requires more caution. Definitely very scary as an assassin. The build I posted plays very similarly to the 4SP but.. tighter missile clumping since it's not being fired from both the right and left torso which means more accurate hits. The 4SP has made people kind or forget that the 4J can be built in a pretty similar manner. I was told repeatedly when asking "Why not use SRM's in the 4J"? to not do it but.. I've tested both. I've had better results in the 4J than the 4SP.

Note the build you're using so far has been performing very very well in testing but I need some more matches before I come to my conclusion on it. Again, if you have any suggestions/ideas let me know. The only mech I pilot is the hunchback. :wub:

Edited by Reslin, 31 August 2013 - 01:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users