275 Hunchback

68 replies to this topic

#61 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

Aha, so you don't use 275.

Well, if you remove that constraint, what about this?

#62 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostRed Line Pilot, on 31 August 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Aha, so you don't use 275.

Well, if you remove that constraint, what about this?

That should work really well too. Good dps, good firepower, and good cooling.

#63 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

I was running the stock 4P© for a long time but with the 275 coming out, I swapped the medium laser hunch for all small lasers and filled it to the brim with heatsinks. It's a pretty conservative setup, and now that I have played quite a few matches with both, it's interesting how different the playstyles are. The stock 9xML build on the 4P© favors a bursty peek 'n shoot kind of playstyle, with its sustained brawl damage being respectable but so-so. The real strength of the small lasers in the hunch and the increased engine speed comes out in small brawls like in a conquest game in which you arrive at a point with one or two enemies contesting it. As long as I could protect the hunch, I was able to 1v1 or 1v2 quite a diverse set of mechs just because of the constant pressure damage a 3xML, 6xSL build can put out and the stickiness the 275 engine provides.

I initially liked the SP quite a bit but eventually sold it when i found it to be pretty inflexible in comparison to the P. I found removing some heatsinks from the standard SP build and moving up to a 275 caused it to run too hot. If anything I would downgrade the SRM6's to SRM4's, but it seems silly not to play to the strength of having duo 6-tube launchers.

Edited by UrAllJerks, 01 September 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#64 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

I run a 215 STD engine in my HBK-4G(F) that has an AC20 and 3xMLas

I get results like this:

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Bigger engine means less firepower.

#65 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Yes it does!

But more weapons means less speed ;-)
That engine gives ~75 kph, that is significantly slower than ~100 These two type of builds are not comparable, they have a completely different approach.

I'd like to focus on HBK's with >260 engines here and how they compare to the other HBKs. Or did you also make an AC20 build with an >260 engine?

I tried it with an LBX and STD270, it works pretty well, but the i prefer the AC20 too.

I initially liked the SP quite a bit but eventually sold it when i found it to be pretty inflexible in comparison to the P. I found removing some heatsinks from the standard SP build and moving up to a 275 caused it to run too hot. If anything I would downgrade the SRM6's to SRM4's, but it seems silly not to play to the strength of having duo 6-tube launchers.

I tried it too and agree with you. The additional speed is not worth the reduced firepower/heatsinks. The classic 4SP seems to be made for 250-260 engines.

#66 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 01 September 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

I run a 215 STD engine in my HBK-4G(F) that has an AC20 and 3xMLas I get results like this: Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com Bigger engine means less firepower.

View PostGremlich Johns, on 01 September 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

I run a 215 STD engine in my HBK-4G(F) that has an AC20 and 3xMLas I get results like this: Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com Bigger engine means less firepower.

You could run that same build with a 250 engine. Same firepower but with 3 tons of ammo.

#67 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hard to argue with Gremlich's results! I do agree a bigger engine is possible. I run my G with a 250 and 4 tons of ammo for the AC20. I'm finding the speed about right, I have more or less quit the 275 engine experiment. With all the new changes, I think fire power fits my play style better than speed.

#68 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

Similar results can be made with the 275 4P. That mech is a beast.

#69 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostReslin, on 03 September 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

You could run that same build with a 250 engine. Same firepower but with 3 tons of ammo.

I don't like running out of ammo during a 12v12.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 04 September 2013 - 11:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users