Griffin 1N, 1S & 3M

48 replies to this topic

#21 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

The D-DC Atlas doesn't have ECM in Battletech source material. PGI just blessed it with ECM ... probably because the Command Console still doesn't work.

There's no reason they couldn't do the same for the Thunderbolt, Orion, or any other mech.

#22 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostBanky, on 29 August 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Cents will be fine. It's the Trebs and Kintaros you'll never see again...

I already don't see them, for good reason.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

I can't believe they aren't including the 2N model, we could certainly use another ECM mech in between the Cicada and the Atlas IMO.

Plus, ECM isn't OP like it used to be. They could easily balance the 2N with fewer hardpoints, less mobility, or a lower maximum engine speed..

I can't believe they didn't include the Blackjack-2.
Or an ECM on the single missile Jenner.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

^_^
Spoiler

Trebs and Kintaros will still be around. Just not as plentiful as we'd like.

#25 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

Blow off the right torso, unarmed Griffon...like a blocky, slower Wang that can't use an AC 20. Lovely...

#26 RANDALLFLAGG

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTRONDHEIM

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Who would put a bigger shield covering the torso of the Griffin without weapons?

Edited by RANDALLFLAGG, 29 August 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#27 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

I'm assuming the big left shoulder shield is intended to protect the head and huge missile launcher when using the left side as sacrificial body parts.

None of the MWO mechs are going to have optimized hardpoint locations. They're based off the old TT designs, like WoT is based off WWII tanks. They take a few liberties here and there, but for the most part the hardpoints are unoptimized for MWO's game engine.

This leads to some unintended consequences - like the Centurion being a good 'zombie' mech and the Stalker being extremely flexible and well balanced. In TT the Griffin was an excellent mech, with a powerful main gun and good long range firepower. Most people preferred them to Centurions because they were faster and didn't run out of ammo. Now, they'll likely be considered less optimal than Cents. Them's the breaks.

Edited by Malleus011, 29 August 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#28 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

my guess'
1N=3E 3M
1S= 4E 2M
3M= 2E 4M

Also, as far as ECM goes I’m betting at least one Orion will get it, and one of our incoming 55ton mediums. My vote if for the Griffin.

#29 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

I have a 300 XL lying around from Sarah, how's this Griffon look?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...59cdcd14c68abca

*** I even padded the business shoulder too!

Edited by Die Primate Die, 29 August 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#30 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostDie Primate Die, on 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

I have a 300 XL lying around from Sarah, how's this Griffon look?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...59cdcd14c68abca

*** I even padded the business shoulder too!

That looks like a decent fast brawler, but if I was running it I would tweak it a little.

If you use a seismic sensor, and you're aware of the enemy mechs around you, then you really don't need that much armor on the rear. I wouldn't feel comfortable using an XL engine on a mech where my left and right torsos have less armor than my arms. Also, if you're going to shoot 16 SRMs out of 10 launch tubes, you might as well shoot 18.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a5ffe6668b782a6

I'm looking forward to when we get the Griffon, since it's always been one of the iconic 55 tonners.

#31 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

That looks like a perfectly functional brawler Griffin.

Oh, an ECM Griffin would be charming, I agree.

The most important news - Smurfy has the Griffin and Wolverine up already!

#32 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

5 Tons of ammo for 3x SRM6? way to much, you can at least drop 1-2 tons for more heatsinks or jumpjets.

#33 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

Looks like everyone have the same idea on how to build the Griffin.
GRF-1N

3x MLaz
3x SRM6 w 4t
350 XL
13 DHS
320 Armour
2 JJ

Might want to consider dropping 1t ammo for either 1 DHS or 2 JJ.

#34 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

It's slightly bigger and meaner than a Cent brawler, but without the ML in the CT for those zombie moments.

I think they'll wind up being excellent brawlers, especially the 3M with all the RT missile tubes.

#35 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:42 AM

I'd rather go around with a CN9-A look-alike GRF-1N.. This has got more armor, the whole left torso (and LA) to soak up damage, 1 more and easier to aim ML plus 1 JJ for added mobility.
The matter would be to "go easy" on the triple MLs and use them only to blow off CT's or open enemy mechs sections once SRMs did their dirty job.

What bugs me is that the art in the phoenix page leaves me wondering about the scaling of all these mechs. Wolverine and Griffin looks huge as the Kintaro or the QD, potentially the griffin looks slimmer and more interesting than the wolverine.

In the end only the BM looks worth of the whole Phx pack, but I'm not giving them 120$ only for that (quite frankly, PGI won't see any more money from me).. so vanilla variants for me when they will be available.

#36 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Posted Image

My hope is that the current art is just a Saber package photoshop, with the new mediums added with no thought given to their actual size against the other mechs. I'm guessing the 3D models may not exist yet at this stage.

Shrinking them to roughly the same 'height' as the Shadow Hawk makes them look a little better, but they're still pretty burly compared to the Hawk. We'll have to see how large they actually are once the models are released.

#37 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

It looks like the Right Shoulder and the entire Right Arm should have a larger Hit Box. I mean, look at those shoulder pads. they put the WoW Shoulder Pads to shame (sort of).. I see people doing with this 'mech what most do with the Yen-Low-Wang: Turning to the left so the right can absorb more of the damage and flak.

Anyone up for theorycrafting? I have a few.

#38 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Finally!!!!! Griffin is way better than a Centurion... theres a reason that it is one of the oldest mechs still in existence. Just a case of getting everything right the first time, you gotta remember that when the Griffin first came out it was an Assault Mech. That's how long it's been in existence... all these YLW plot armor {Noble MechWarriors} need to go play with the CG dual scimitar wielding drow ranger {Noble MechWarriors}...

F_a_n_b_o_y_s qualifies for censoring... that's l_a_m_e

#39 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

On a side note.... the 2N is a very solid design except they don't exist in 3050 (besides however many ComStar has stashed away...) They can't release a mech that is nonexistent in the universe... Kerensky took almost every single Royal Mech with him when he left... not even the 2 Griffins protecting the Lyran Throne are 2Ns...

#40 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

I don't think the Trebs will go away. There's 3 variants that can pack LRM 30s, 2 with JJs, and one sniper. The Griffin won't be as mobile or specialized as the Trebs, and Kintaro's are SRM boats, which isn't the Griffin's role too.

I see the Griffin as being a fairly quick brawler that sits between meds and heavies, kinda like a baby Victor but without JJs. I get the feeling that running an XL in them will be suicide though, unless you commit to sniping and LRM support.

Edited by TripleEhBeef, 05 September 2013 - 02:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users