Griffin 1N, 1S & 3M

48 replies to this topic

#41 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Committing to Sniping and LRM support might be possible; we'll have to see.

#42 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 05 September 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

I don't think the Trebs will go away. There's 3 variants that can pack LRM 30s, 2 with JJs, and one sniper. The Griffin won't be as mobile or specialized as the Trebs, and Kintaro's are SRM boats, which isn't the Griffin's role too.

I see the Griffin as being a fairly quick brawler that sits between meds and heavies, kinda like a baby Victor but without JJs. I get the feeling that running an XL in them will be suicide though, unless you commit to sniping and LRM support.

Griffin without JJs....... WHAT????? Who are we Dracs..? I know their Wolverine has it's JJs stripped out cause they dont like/use JJs but no variants of a Griffin exist without JJs... except maybe in one of the obscure German editions that are sometimes canon and sometimes not....

#43 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postzuul88, on 06 September 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Griffin without JJs....... WHAT????? Who are we Dracs..? I know their Wolverine has it's JJs stripped out cause they dont like/use JJs but no variants of a Griffin exist without JJs... except maybe in one of the obscure German editions that are sometimes canon and sometimes not....
D'oh! Skimmed right over that part on Sarna.

#44 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

I can see the 1N being a pretty nifty sniper, though, with Double Armour that PPC might not have enough damage to scare off attackers from that corner of the map. If it has Jump Jets (I don't remember if it does), I can defiantly see it in the role of Counter-Assault and Counter-Sniping position I.E., running to the Enemy Lines, hoping onto a secure and defensible position and then fire away with it's PPC while dishing out more damage with it's LRMs.

I can also see this being a Potential Brawler in the Medium Weight, with Three Energy Points and Three Missile Points.
The PPC weighs up to Seven Tonnes and takes up Three Critical Slots. The LRM-10 takes up Five Tonnes and Two Critical Slots.

Now if my Theory-crafting is correct, this could mean we could see potentially x3 Medium Pulse Lasers, each taking up 2 Tonnes and one Critical Slot each, which means we could see as little as 1 ton left over for whatever it is the person wants. Say that they keep this x3 Medium Pulse Laser Variant. That's nice. Each laser does 6 Damage, so that's a combined total of about 18. Not too bad. Too add up on the damage, lets go over to the missile points: In this case, x2 SRM-4s. These SRMs take up two tonnes and one critical slot each, meaning that it would take up both slots that the missile hard-points had while giving us, yet another, free ton to work with. Though I'm not too experienced with it, if Artemis IV FCS is one ton each, then you could use those free tons to give to the SRM-4s having Artemis IV, which in my opinion would be better.
With the Missiles and MPLs, the 'mech now has a potential to dish out, hypothetically, if everything hits: 34 Damage.

You could also use those two extra tons to add maybe some of the following:
-2 extra tons of armor
-Attempt to increase the engine size by 2 tons
-(Maybe) add 2 tons of Jump jets or 2 more if it already has them
-Add 2 tons of Heat Sinks (single)
-2 extra tons of ammunition for the SRMs
-A 2 ton paint job.

Just my idea on a Brawler for the 1N, that is of course uses Standard Armour and a Standard Chassis.

Edited by Brenden, 07 September 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#45 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

D'oh! Skimmed right over that part on Sarna.

Null sheen... Griffin-1S is one of my favorite mechs, it's so upgradeable with any kind of advanced options (post 3025 era)... and playing a lot of long term campaign TT when I was first starting out instilled a love for energy weapons and derision for anything ammo dependant...I know it's not applicable within MWO but still is a core belief in how I look at the game cause I learned to fight wars not battles...

Edited by zuul88, 08 September 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#46 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

Plus poptarting is a viable option in this game unlike a highly specialized gimmick that needed a lot of design before hand and luck to implement on the TT... 2 PPCs in the right arm and 7 JJs will make people very sad... just keep blasting 20 with a great cool down rate at hard to hit back range for limited time frames.... equals hilariousness

#47 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

View Postzuul88, on 08 September 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Plus poptarting is a viable option in this game unlike a highly specialized gimmick that needed a lot of design before hand and luck to implement on the TT... 2 PPCs in the right arm and 7 JJs will make people very sad... just keep blasting 20 with a great cool down rate at hard to hit back range for limited time frames.... equals hilariousness

Well yeah, there's always that too. That'd turn it into a dedicated sniper and direct-fire support wouldn't it?
Well, best keep yourself out of harms way. Why not take off one Jump Jet for a Small laser, in case someone manages to get past your electric barrage?

#48 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Just jump away.... or run away...

Not saying its the best build currently but that's cause the game is broken not because the mech/build is bad... I have no idea why no one is b*tching about the real problem... which is that everyone is in Assaults or jenners... its just not battletech... set tonnage limits and the game will set itself almost immediately. .. expect ECM which is just BROKEN...

#49 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postzuul88, on 08 September 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Just jump away.... or run away...

Not saying its the best build currently but that's cause the game is broken not because the mech/build is bad... I have no idea why no one is b*tching about the real problem... which is that everyone is in Assaults or jenners... its just not battletech... set tonnage limits and the game will set itself almost immediately. .. expect ECM which is just BROKEN...

Give it time, remember, it's still in Beta mode.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users