Griffin 1N, 1S & 3M

48 replies to this topic

#1 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

The Griffin will be joining the MWO arsenal, a 55 ton medium Battlemech.

Posted Image

The Griffin has a top speed of 86 KPH, with a 275 engine augmented by 5 jump jets. It is considered to have average mobility for a Medium mech.

The standard 1N variant mounts a right arm PPC and a right torso LRM10. The mech is listed with three missile and three energy hardpoints (thanks Bront!). Like the YLW, this would allow the entire left arm (and torso) to act as a shield.

The 1S variant removes the PPC in exchange for a large and two medium lasers and four more heat sinks. The LRM10 is exchanged for an LRM5. This would add two energy hardpoints at a minimum.

The 3M variant uses Star League technology, upgrading the 1N's stock weapons to an ERPPC and LRM20, as well as using an XL engine. This suggests similar hardpoints but considerably more missile tubes.

Edited by Malleus011, 29 August 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

I can't believe they aren't including the 2N model, we could certainly use another ECM mech in between the Cicada and the Atlas IMO.

Plus, ECM isn't OP like it used to be. They could easily balance the 2N with fewer hardpoints, less mobility, or a lower maximum engine speed..

#3 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

THe 1N is coming with 3 energy and 3 missile hardpoints. Scroll to the bottom and you can see.

My guess is the 3M will likely have a higher engine cap but be missing a module slot, and the 1S will swap a missile hardpoint for an extra energy hardpoint.

Edited by Bront, 28 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#4 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Agreed that I would totally prefer the 2N over the 3M. I want me some ECM!!

#5 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

Shame the 1N doesn't come with ECM, since the 2N is pretty much just a raw tech upgrade.

PPC gets upgraded to an ERPPC
10 LRM's become 12 SRMs

The only real difference between the two are the tech upgrades that we can bolt on ourselves and the ECM.

#6 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

LOOK at that left arm shield, just LOOK at it! I could hide a spider behind there. For the mechwarrior who knows how to twist this mech should be pretty good. Plus it looks amazing. Very much a Centurion with a few extra pounds.

I like it.

I.
Must.
Have.
It.

#7 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 28 August 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

LOOK at that left arm shield, just LOOK at it! I could hide a spider behind there. For the mechwarrior who knows how to twist this mech should be pretty good. Plus it looks amazing. Very much a Centurion with a few extra pounds.

I like it.

I.
Must.
Have.
It.

Yeah - the arm shield is going to be great.
However, being placed on the shoulder means that it won't be able to cover as much mid/lower torso as say the Centurion sheild arm.

Still - totally loving this mech. Having an entire side of the mech to use as a shield is a great capability. Here's hoping you can run it without an XL engine.

j2l

#8 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

And I thought the HBK and Atlas had a bulls eye on their right torso!

Glad to see more mechs in the game.

#9 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

the torso looks evenly divided, while being protected by should pad on both side.
should work great as a medium brawler.

the cockpit does look pretty big though.

Edited by xengk, 28 August 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#10 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

I'm sure only one bit of the canopy glass is the 'head' location, much like the Cataphract or Jagermech.

I hope. :)

As for hardpoints, we can reasonably assume each Griffin variant will have six, like the 1N, altered in type or shuffled in location. Anyone have any data as to where the 1S carries it's additional energy weapons? Are they all still in the right side, I wonder?

It's very likely the 3M won't have 3M/3E exactly like the 1N. I expect it to get the 'Victor treatment' where essentially the same loadout gets some hardpoint shuffle. 2E and 4M? The LRM20 feels as if it might merit a missile hardpoint upgrade, though it's impossible to be sure with mechs like the C4 cat getting 2 Missile hardpoints in the arm while the A1 cat gets 3.

The Griffin is going to be challenging to loadout. Various lasers in the RA and missiles in the RT. An SRM-heavy version will almost certainly make an appearance (the 3M seems like it would have generous tubes for that). The challenge with a Griffin is the concentration of points in one side and the vulnerability of all the RA hardpoints.

I'm also hoping that one of the Griffin and/or Wolverine variants can mount ECM ...

#11 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm also hoping that this is the proper scaling, and the Saber artwork is just a photoshop created without thought to actual size ...

Posted Image

The Wolverine and Griffin are going to be of a size with the Shadow Hawk. Right? Even shrunk down to the same height they're both looking a bit beefier.

Right?

Edited by Malleus011, 29 August 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#12 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostMalleus011, on 29 August 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

The Wolverine and Griffin are going to be of a size with the Shadow Hawk. Right? Even shrunk down to the same height they're both looking a bit beefier.

dont worry wolverine will be as big atlas and griffin will be just like awesome... while battlemaster will be commando sized :)

#13 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Just so long as I can have all my weapons in that Commando-sized Battlemaster. Oh and with the non-existant hit boxes of the Spider. Talk about OP.

#14 Gunivar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I have a bad feeling that this will cause Centurions to go extinct....

#15 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostGunivar, on 29 August 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

I don't believe so.

One word: Zombility

#16 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostGunivar, on 29 August 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Cents will be fine. It's the Trebs and Kintaros you'll never see again...

#17 Gunivar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Zombility is not enough to make a Chassis worthwhile.
Its gimicky at best against someone who knows what they are doing (and in a bigger mech...)

#18 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

I can't believe they aren't including the 2N model, we could certainly use another ECM mech in between the Cicada and the Atlas IMO.

Plus, ECM isn't OP like it used to be. They could easily balance the 2N with fewer hardpoints, less mobility, or a lower maximum engine speed..

Or we could use a heavy that has ECM; as far the heavy class has no ECM capable mechs.

#19 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostSimbacca, on 29 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Or we could use a heavy that has ECM; as far the heavy class has no ECM capable mechs.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any time line appropriate IS ECM heavy mechs.

#20 Kaedrin

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thug is an 80 ton with ECM. It and the Griffin 2N are the only other medium/assaults with ECM worth adding. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users